No Need for 110 Grains in the Mighty 10

Started by Mason Stillwell, February 12, 2011, 06:18:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mason Stillwell

Got to go to the range today . Took the mighty 10 . My 45 roogers , and my marlin 45 Cowboy.
First the Mighty 10.   110 grains will break your shoulder  ! And topple the targets with that loooong barrel.
So I  had some cut down shells loaded with 60 grains of FFG white 10 gauge wads and an over the shot wad glued in with duglo (spelling?) glue from true value.
This was the hands down best load. Knocked down the targets and was kind to my shoulder. So PROBLEM SOLVED. I will stick to that from now own.

Now to the 45 RV's. Used a 250 grain big lube boolit from my casting days. Got a couple of those moulds from Dick and I love them and this boolit. Now I just put the powder up to about 1/8th inch from the mouth and seated that big Lube boolit. Was mild recoil in the heavy RV. Hit just a little low but would even knock down the shotgun targets. I shot at the rifle targets and hit every one. So That is settled. When shooting like this it is the 250 hand cast boolits and the BP just up to near the case mouth. Problem solved.

Also brought along some Clays and 200 grain loads but that is for another board.LOL

I LOVE THE MIGHTY 10  ;D

What a fun time today. Took the wife to town for shopping and I headed to the range. Got to spend 2 un'interupted hours of shooting . Hard as I could go . RV got hot at one point. Fired 100 rounds thru the pistola  and gobs of shotgun.
Almost forgot, Had the 45/70 handy rifle with the (Hey dick what is the weight of that 45/70 BL boolit?) 385 something like that. And filled to the brim with ffg. OH BOY, OH BOY , !! YE HAAAA 50 rounds of that. Still hitting what I shot at right to the end.

I had to tell everyone here . I was excited as a 16 year old.

Thanks for listening.
Pete  ;D
Mason Stillwell

Grand Pap to 4
BP C&B Shooter.

Known early on as Pole Cat Pete
Tar Heel at Heart

Sir Charles deMouton-Black

NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, "History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme."

Bishop Creek

The JP 200 Big Lube Bullets™ (bootlets) that Mason cast for me a few years ago were a blast to shoot in my Kirst converted '58 Remington . Don't think he's casting for profit anymore but a Big Thanks Mason!!!

Mason Stillwell

Bishop Creek Thank You !! I sure wish I was back in that business. I flat had a ball.
Mason Stillwell

Grand Pap to 4
BP C&B Shooter.

Tar Heel at Heart

Bishop Creek

Quote from: Mason Stillwell on February 12, 2011, 08:12:39 PM
Bishop Creek Thank You !! I sure wish I was back in that business. I flat had a ball.

Yer welcome Mason. You did a great casting and lubing job with those boolets!

Dick Dastardly

Yer rite Mason,

That 45-70 boolit came out closer to 389 grains.  Was supposed to be 400 grains but the solidworks prediction was a mite off.  I just never changed the name.  Love the way it shoots out of my 45-70 roller.

DD-DLoS
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

Mako

Quote from: Dick Dastardly on February 12, 2011, 08:30:58 PM
Yer rite Mason,

That 45-70 boolit came out closer to 389 grains.  Was supposed to be 400 grains but the solidworks prediction was a mite off.  I just never changed the name.  Love the way it shoots out of my 45-70 roller.

DD-DLoS

Dick,
Plug these numbers into the material properties manager for lead and it will work correctly.  Ignore the other properties because they aren't important for lead as an "engineering" material.  If you need help in knowing where to plug them in, PM me and I can walk you through it easily.

http://i627.photobucket.com/albums/tt358/Mako_CAS/Cartridges/Untitled.jpg

Your friend,
Mako
A brace of 1860s, a Yellowboy Saddle Rifle and a '78 Pattern Colt Scattergun
MCA, MCIA, MOAA, MCL, SMAS, ASME, SAME, BMES

Mason Stillwell

Dick I love that boolit  for the plainsman event and mid range shooting.

It did well in my highwall but with  my neck problem I cannot stand the recoil so I had to sell my highwall.
I do love the 400 big lube. After 50 rounds my barrel was still in great shape and could have went another 50. I was shooting shotgun wads off the range floor(dirt) and hitting them, till I ran out of ammo.

;) ;D
Mason Stillwell

Grand Pap to 4
BP C&B Shooter.

Tar Heel at Heart

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com