Leather sewing machines

Started by daddyeaux, February 10, 2011, 08:13:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trailrider

I have a TSC440 (basic machine for the Ferd 2000), and use the following:

Holster Belt Loops and other heavy work up to two layers of 10-11 oz.:     Top: 277    Bobbin: 277  Needle: 200

Cartridge loops                                                                                   Top: 207    Bobbin: 207  Needle: 180

Lining to holster body                                                                          Top: 138    Bobbin: 138  Needle: 160

I wax the bobbin thread by running it through a cold wax box atop the machine.  I use Solaris' cold liquid wax. It does get a little messy when winding the bobbins, but it is well worth it.  I still use nylon or polyester thread in these sizes, depending on what's available.  I know that most folks recommend using a smaller size thread on the bobbin than on the main, but I've had excellent results doing it this way for at least 25 years. Just have to groove the leather deep enough.  No reason to change now, as I've had zero complaints from customers from as far away as Norway.
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Cliff Fendley

I'm pretty convinced that is the problem Outrider. I don't know why Steve sent that size with it and no needles that are the proper size for the thread but anyway I'll order some more thread and hopefully sort it out.

It does fine on a couple layers like a holster but on a knife sheath with a welt and especially on some of my sheaths that start with three layers and taper up to five it causes the thread to do funny things. I had to pull it out and finish off the last few stitches by hand.

Thanks Trailrider, I was considering just getting 277 for top and bottom. Most of my work on this machine will be 3 layers of 8-9 oz on knife sheaths and many of those sheaths taper from the 3 layers up to 5 layers where I form the belt loop and the retaining strap attaches. Of course there is sewing the belt loop on many that will only be two layers of 8-9. I was hoping the 277 would be kind of in the middle enough to cover all of this but I know that is getting pretty thick. Do you think I need to go larger than 277 for that?

What is the advantage to waxing the bobbin thread?
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

outrider

Cliff,

If properly set the machine should sew through multiple layers using the 277 thread. 

do you ever get down to the Chattanooga area???
Outrider  (formerly "Dusty Dick" out of PA.)
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

Cliff Fendley

Not very often Outrider but if your offering some advice I'll sure try and make it a point next time I'm in the area. If your ever in the Louisville area give me a shout cause I'd love to visit. I can't offer much in the way of leathercraft that you don't know but I can give you a knifemaking shop tour :D

Johnson County Rangers

TN Mongo

Cliff,

I agree with Outrider on this one,  your needle is too small for 346.  Personally, I've never had great luck with 346.  I bet 277 on top and 207 in the bobbin, with a 200 needle will fix your problems.

Cliff Fendley

Thanks fellas I felt like I had the problem figured out but it's comforting to here it from ones with more knowledge. Needless to say it was a little disappointing to have troubles right off the bat. Will order some different thread in the next few days.

Johnson County Rangers

outrider

Cliff,

If you get down into the Chatt. area let me know...Mongo also lives here...so we could get together...
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

Trailrider

Quote from: Cliff Fendley on April 07, 2011, 05:44:18 PM
I'm pretty convinced that is the problem Outrider. I don't know why Steve sent that size with it and no needles that are the proper size for the thread but anyway I'll order some more thread and hopefully sort it out.

It does fine on a couple layers like a holster but on a knife sheath with a welt and especially on some of my sheaths that start with three layers and taper up to five it causes the thread to do funny things. I had to pull it out and finish off the last few stitches by hand.

Thanks Trailrider, I was considering just getting 277 for top and bottom. Most of my work on this machine will be 3 layers of 8-9 oz on knife sheaths and many of those sheaths taper from the 3 layers up to 5 layers where I form the belt loop and the retaining strap attaches. Of course there is sewing the belt loop on many that will only be two layers of 8-9. I was hoping the 277 would be kind of in the middle enough to cover all of this but I know that is getting pretty thick. Do you think I need to go larger than 277 for that?

What is the advantage to waxing the bobbin thread?

I doubt you need anything heavier than 277.   The synthetic threads are pretty stout. The larger sthicknesses for our purposes are mainly for looks. Were you stitching three or four layers of 12-14 oz. saddle skirting, you might want to go heavier. But for our purposes 277 should be more than sufficient.  The advantage to waxing the bobbin thread is that it helps keep the bobbin thread from pulling up to the top of the leather layers.  Not sure exactly why it works, but without it my TSC440 doesn't give nice even stitches. You could wax the top thread, but I've never found it necessary, and it would be awfully messy!  Some folks will run their thread through a hot wax pot, but, again I've never used it.
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

TN Mongo

It seems to me I remember something about a spray lubricant that I saw on the Ferdco website.  I don't remember if it was something they sold or just a product they recommended.  It's basically the seem idea that Trailrider mentioned, but it was simply a matter of spraying the lubricant on.

The people at Ferdco are also good people and they might be able to give you some pointers, especially if your going to order some of their thread.

outrider

If you call Ferdco  ask for Ron....he is one of the owners...very helpful
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

daddyeaux

Dang guys, I guess I need to call Steve and check on my Cobra.....hope it ain't hung up in customs or glowing in the dark.....

Cliff Fendley

I talked to him yesterday but he never said if customs had him held up. Then again I never asked.

After I explained again what was happening and the thread would fray when you cut it and would ball up when sliding through the needle he was also convinced I got a bad spool of thread and he is sending me some more. He's sending 277 this time also. He said he regularly sews with 346 and the 200 needles and after looking again at the test pieces that is what they had been doing with mine during testing. It was from a different spool of thread though.

Johnson County Rangers

outrider

Cliff,

I am quite sure this problem will be ironed out..... ::)

Daddy....bet you are getting anxious for that machine to arrive....ain't we having fun :D ;D
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

Slowhand Bob

Now do not laugh or you will hurt my feelings but I did go though something similar with the thread.  It had the guys at Tippmann and Artisan  scratching their heads until I figured it out.  In some of my posts I describe my bullish way of doing things and how it made using the machines very tough to learn.  Right off I had problems with the Aerostitch and then again with the Toro fraying thread, we swapped thread sizes, needle sizes and styles but all was to no avail.  After a bit I started noticing a rough spot at the rear of the base plate of my Toro and that lead to some investigating.  Turning the wheel by hand showed good clearance with the needle or thread no getting close so what the???  A check showed this same rough spot on my BOSS, my Aero and my Toro and further investigation revealed that I was literally flexing my needles back into nibbling at the plates of these machines.  It finally made since, all the needles with dull burred tips and all the frayed thread finally came together.   I can tell you right now that the sewing wasnt loking good but them dang machines was learning who was the real BOSS.

PS: Very possibly why my dancing has been likened to plowing a mule! 

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Slowhand Bob, I don't have a sewing machine, but by-god I love your stories. ;D ;D ;D

tEN ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Cliff Fendley

Bob, how were you flexing the needles? 

I don't think I'm doing anything like that, I hold the threads for the first stitch to lock but after that the machine does the work.

Johnson County Rangers

Slowhand Bob

Cliff, basically I was forcing heavy leather against the needle faster than its feed rate was able to accept and this was bending (flexing) the needle back as it rose into its highest most unsupported position.  Several needles actually snapped and I thought it was caused by hard stiff leather and didnt realize it was snapping against the back of the slot as it came down against it.  Not sure what was going through my haid but since I was trying to use the slowest rate that the machine would run, why try to push the leather???   REMEMBER, I never said I was the brightest bulb in the pack.  I do still have control issues but it is a fact that the machine only needs a bit of subtle guidance to do its job.  Dad always told me that there was a reason folks didnt use sledge hammers fer playing pool but I just never did get the drift of that.

Rayban

Quote from: Slowhand Bob on April 14, 2011, 04:41:07 PM
Cliff, basically I was forcing heavy leather against the needle faster than its feed rate was able to accept and this was bending (flexing) the needle back as it rose into its highest most unsupported position.  Several needles actually snapped and I thought it was caused by hard stiff leather and didnt realize it was snapping against the back of the slot as it came down against it.  Not sure what was going through my haid but since I was trying to use the slowest rate that the machine would run, why try to push the leather???   REMEMBER, I never said I was the brightest bulb in the pack.  I do still have control issues but it is a fact that the machine only needs a bit of subtle guidance to do its job.  Dad always told me that there was a reason folks didnt use sledge hammers fer playing pool but I just never did get the drift of that.

....yet you come up with Slowhand??....how did you arrive at that, pray tell.....

daddyeaux

Outrider, I sure am getting anxious...and learning a lot here about needles and threads.....keep it up guys.I will be an expert by the time I get the machine.......gonna call Steve tomorrow and check on the progress...

Slowhand Bob

Rayban, a long long time ago in a galaxy far away, as a young pup, I had an old rail road boss who would tell me that I was the slowest hand he ever had!  Another name I came close to choosing was Dunjin Man but the wife did not like it, a gift from another old conductor.  ;D   

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com