Leather sewing machines

Started by daddyeaux, February 10, 2011, 08:13:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daddyeaux

Thanks Mike, I will give you a call. Are you familiar with RJ's Boot Shop on Ella Blvd?

Hill Creek Mike

No but I bet I can find it.  I need a new boot shop.

Give me a call most any time.  I'll be here beating on dead cows.

daddyeaux

daddyeaux

Ok, you guys made me do it..........The Cobra has been ordered........4 - 6 weeks............

outrider

I think you made a good choice.  You will have a learning curve,,,especially if you do bullet loops with it..but hang in there...once you master it...will be like driving down easy street.
Outrider  (formerly "Dusty Dick" out of PA.)
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

Cliff Fendley

Mine has been ordered for about 5 weeks. Talked to Steve last week and he said he should be able to start getting them together and sent out this week. I think he had 35 sold on order when I ordered mine so I'm still looking at a couple weeks.

I still plan on hand stitching my period items with linen thread. My next dream is to get a Union Lockstitch or other stitcher so I can sew linen thread. Would make those money belts more enjoyable.

I went with the Cobra since most of my orders lately have been for more modern style items that could be sewn on a sewing machine.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

rickymon

when buying from craigslist , you have to be very careful. look at their section how to look for scams. .... such as third party go betweens.
guaranteed legitimate and such. you did the right thing.... i bought a cobra 4 and it will sew whatever. i never would have made or thought of the things i've made without a machine. buying a machine on price alone can be a costly mistake. 

daddyeaux

Yea, that whole deal got real crazy. Especially when this chick wanted me to wire money to some fool in England. Yea right, like I'm gonna do that. I waited this long, 6 more weeks ain't gonna kill me. Steve was a very nice guy to talk to. I think he could sell ice to an Eskimo.

outrider

I have not purchased a machine from Steve, however I have gotten some parts (presser feet sets) from him.  Seems to be a very nice guy and very helpful..You can't go wrong with the type of service he gives.  The wait will be well worth it....
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

Rayban

Me and my new Cowboy 3500 are getting along pretty well.....got to where I don't mind showing the work I'm getting off it.

Like Cliff, for me there will always be some hand stitching to be done......but man.....this is a dream!!

outrider

lookin good Rayban...that is a short arm version of the Juki 441....this type of machine is a good design
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

Marshal Will Wingam

Great work with that, Rayban. Thanks for the pic.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Very nice Rayban, this holster looks just like a John Bianchi holster, and that's a compliment, well done for sure.

tEN wOLVES ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Rayban

Patrick Henry Brown

Great looking machine there. If I can ask, can you give me a ballpark figure on cost for one of these. And more importantly, what breed is your pup? Looks an awful lot like my Australian Shepherd (our youngest son! LOL!) :D

Rayban

Quote from: Preacher Clint on March 04, 2011, 11:49:02 AM
Great looking machine there. If I can ask, can you give me a ballpark figure on cost for one of these. And more importantly, what breed is your pup? Looks an awful lot like my Australian Shepherd (our youngest son! LOL!) :D

You're good!! That is an Aussie...going on 5 yrs old.....he like to lay there watching me work leather, but when I step up to the machine he leaves the room....I musta lost some man points with him... ;D

I paid $1695 out the door for the machine, you would think he would be impressed with that ???

Cliff Fendley

I talked to Steve earlier and my Cobra 4 dream machine should go out next week. ;D I'm going to concentrate on the period stuff and see if I can put off some of the modern and hunting rigs for a couple weeks since I don't have anybody in a real hurry for them.

Wonder how long it will take for me to get good with it ??? Never seen any kind of tool or machine I couldn't operate but since I've never used a sewing machine in my life I'm counting on a learning curve. My dump truck driver and his wife have done upholstery work forever and a friend of mine has a couple leather sewing machines so I'm hoping it will go fairly smooth.

Johnson County Rangers

outrider

Cliff...looks like you have some good back p help with your soon to come learning curve.....it will go quick..but the area you should really do alot of practicing with is the dreaded BULLET LOOP :D ;D...hang in there with it..
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

daddyeaux

Dang, see what I have started. That is a fine looking machine there and a mighty fine looking holster. Sure gonna be hard waiting on my machine to get here. Keep up the good work Rayban.

Cliff Fendley

Outrider I don't even know how to start sewing a bullet loop on a machine. Where can I see how that is done? If I understood right Steve said the machine will come with a foot designed for that.

Johnson County Rangers

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com