Blanket Spanish American War period

Started by Deadeye Don, February 10, 2011, 07:04:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deadeye Don

What would be the correct blanket for the SAW period?  I am interested in size, color and color band descriptions.  Thanks guys.
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

JimBob

From the 1897 QM Specifications For Clothing and Equipage;

Size-To be seven(7)feet long and five(5)feet six(6)inches wide.

Color-To be blue and white mixed,conforming strictly to standard sample,with a dark-blue stripe
two and one-half(2 1/2)to three(3) inches wide across each end about six(6)inches from edge,
the color of stripes to conform to those of standard sample.The blue color in both warp and filling
to be of pure indigo dye of best quality of indigo.

Weight-To weigh not less than five(5) pounds.

U.S.Brand-Each blanket to have the letters "U.S." four(4)inches long in the center,placed lenghtwise
with the blanket.The letters to be of pure indigo dye,and to conform in color to stripes,and may be
either woven into the fabric or stamped on the blanket.

Adopted January 9,1885,in lieu of specifications of Febuary 5, 1884,which are hereby cancelled.

There is a picture of one showing color in this thread from jouster http://www.jouster.com/forums/showthread.php?16063-Army-Blanket-Identification/page2

Deadeye Don

Great thanks for the information.  I would assume then that a blanket with dimensions 4.5 ft X 7 ft. without the US letters would not be official military issue?

JimBob

Quote from: Deadeye Don on February 10, 2011, 09:10:24 AM
Great thanks for the information.  I would assume then that a blanket with dimensions 4.5 ft X 7 ft. without the US letters would not be official military issue?

It would not meet the QM specifications.The size specification was pretty much standard for many years.The QM Dept.purchased blankets made to their specifications from commercial makers who may have offered a similiar blanket commercially without the U.S. markings and of a different size.State militia issues generally followed QM specs.

Deadeye Don

JimBob

Could be a private purchase blanket by an officer or state issue.Hard to say without some provenance.I have no information on earlier issues but gray was used throught a lot of the 19th century before the light blue issues.It's hard to ID a blanket like that without a close examination of the material itself.

Deadeye Don

The seller said it was light blue in response to my direct question about the color.

JimBob

The non-regulation size is an issue but I saw some information that volunteer troops were issued blankets with no U.S. but of a similiar color with the stripes as the regulation issue.You have to consider at the time that the Army was short of everything with the influx of volunteer units.The marking could be an indication of a blanket that was of this nature,issued but not of the regulation pattern.

Deadeye Don

Quote from: JimBob on February 10, 2011, 10:26:36 AM
The non-regulation size is an issue but I saw some information that volunteer troops were issued blankets with no U.S. but of a similiar color with the stripes as the regulation issue.You have to consider at the time that the Army was short of everything with the influx of volunteer units.The marking could be an indication of a blanket that was of this nature,issued but not of the regulation pattern.

Interesting.  I have yet to see a regulation blanket that looked right for sale.  This one might be the closest one can get these days.

JimBob

Quote from: Deadeye Don on February 10, 2011, 11:08:00 AM
Interesting.  I have yet to see a regulation blanket that looked right for sale.  This one might be the closest one can get these days.

There is a M1885 blanket being advertised on E-Bay store "Military Antique Emporium" seller cameronhuntercameron.No U.S. in center but otherwise appears correct.

Wild Billy Potts

Don't forget shirnkage. No telling how many issued blackets (of several eras) I've seen that were smaller than regs, that showed signs of obvious shrinkage.

'Monterrey' Jack Brass

Deadeye D,

I know your question was about a Span-Am era blanket. However, perhaps you'd be keen to go with something else to meet your needs. Here are a few blanket options you might like, though not late 1890s:

One of the best ACW period blankets out there from Nick Sekela: http://www.njsekela.com/OSCommerce/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=45&osCsid=243bc3484b8542b057b730d96389c91b

Also Wambaugh, White & Co is offering the best CS blanket on the market: http://www.wwandcompany.com/index.php/cs-items/cs-issue-blankets

Or perhaps even a period coverlet, go with the Family Heirloom weavers wool/cotton blend as they also sell some with synthetics. This link is to the cotton/acrylic blend, you'll want to get the what he sells as 'dry clean only' to get the period yarns – might have to call and see what patterns he has available: http://www.familyheirloomweavers.com/template_sub.pweb?pageid=521 

To add to the military issue blanket info here is some info on regulation blankets, ACW-IW:
BLANKETS: MOUNTED SOLDIER EQUIPMENT RELATED:

- General Orders No. 13, August 15, 1855 – Item No. 10: SADDLE BLANKET – To be made of moss, but of stronger warp than that in the pattern submitted to the Board. (Note: no mention of blanket color or of having woven border stripes is mentioned)

- Revised U.S. Army Regulations, 1863 – pg 479, para 1647: SADDLE BLANKET – To be of pure wool, close woven, of stout yarns of an indigo-blue color, with an orange border 3 inches wide, 3 inches from the edge. The letters U.S., six inches high, of orange color, in the center of the blanket. Dimensions: 75 inches long, 67 inches wide; weight, 3.19 pounds; variation allowed in weight, 0.19 pounds. (Note: this is the same saddle blanket as described in the 1861 regulations)

- The Horse Soldier, 1776-1943 Vol II – pg 33: Bed blankets in the field – `Part of a journal kept by bugler Drown of the 2nd Dragoons is reproduced in `Everglade to Canyon', Theodore F. Rodenbough's informative history of the 2nd Cavalry (New York, D. Van Nostrand, 1875). This Dragoon musician described the usual method of carrying bed blankets in the field and on long marches (pg 195-96): "...an old campaigner's first object is to keep his horse blanket dry, and in fact everything else except his own bed blanket. When on a march of this kind [winter] we generally take two blankets apiece under our saddles, and our overcoat on the pommel of the saddle and two men generally sleep together. Our method of making down [the bed] in such a case as this is to first spread down one of our bed blankets, with saddles for a pillow; next spread down the two overcoats, and then the two horse blankets, and then top off with the other bed blanket, and by this means we have dry blankets to put next to the horses' backs the next morning, and the wet ones next to the saddle." (Note: there are no dates provided for the above, though as dragoons were pre-Civil War, it is assumed that the above occurred before that war)

- The Horse Soldier, 1776-1943 Vol II – pg 79: "It was common practice to carry the bed blanket and folded shelter half under the saddle on top of the saddle blanket, and one veteran cavalryman wrote after the war [Civil] that this arrangement helped prevent sore backs." Fred Whittaker in `Volunteer Cavalry' Widener Library No. War 958.71, Harvard University.

- Extract from Ordnance Memoranda No 13, May 29, 1872: Modifications to present equipments; SADDLE CLOTH – They [the Board] recommend that a piece of cotton duck, No 6, 28 inches by 30 inches (the size of the folded blanket), be issued to each soldier, to be carried over the blanket and under the saddle when on the march. This can be spread to receive the ration of grain, when feeding, and also be used to cover the saddle and its trappings when at rest or in the stable. The cover will weigh not more than one pound, and both on campaign and in garrison will be of constant value. The two edges should be hemmed, and the selvedge left on the other two. The letter of the company of the regiment may be painted the corners when used as a saddle cloth. (Note: this was a recommendation of the Board, unknown if it was officially adopted at that time)

- Extract from Resolution No 6, Proceedings of the Board of Officers, May 5th, 1874: SADDLE BLANKET – To be 7 feet long by 6 feet wide, of pure wool, closely woven into stout yarns; to be of a dark blue color, with a yellow border 3 inches wide, and three inches from the edge. The letters U.S., 6 inches high, of yellow color, to be in the center of the blanket.

- Extract from Resolution No 18, Proceedings of the Board of Officers, May 5th, 1874: A graduated felt saddle cloth is recommended to be issued in addition to the blanket, as further protection to the horse's back, especially needed on long marches, when the animals become low in flesh and where saddle blanket alone is insufficient to prevent sores... (Note: this felt blanket was contoured to be a saddle pad type shape)

- Extract from July 15, 1879 Equipment Board recommendations to the Commanding General, item number 15. A saddle cloth of present form but increased in dimensions, of material according to sample deposited. 'Approved' [became army regulation]

- General Orders No. 76, July 23, 1879: SADDLE CLOTH – To be of the present pattern but three inches longer and broader, and of the material of the samples submitted, manufactured by Mr. L. B. Roberts, of Milton Mills, New Hampshire.

- Horse Equipments and Cavalry Accoutrements as Prescribed by General Order 73, A.G.O. 1885 – pg 10: SADDLE BLANKET – Made of pure wool, close woven, of stout yarn of a gray color, with a yellow border 3 inches wide, and three inches from the edge; the letters U.S., 6 inches high, of yellow color, in the center of the blanket. Dimensions, 84 inches long, 72 inches wide. Weight 4 pounds, with 26 threads in the warp and 36 threads per inch in the woof. Will stand a strain of 50 pounds in the direction of the warp and 40 pounds in the direction of the woof.

BLANKETS: FOOT SOLDIER EQUIPMENT RELATED:

- Revised U.S. Army Regulations, 1863 – pg 474, para 1599: BLANKET – woolen, gray with letters U.S. in black, four inches long, in the center; to be seven feet long, and five and a half feet wide, and to weigh five pounds. (Note: this is the same blanket as described in the 1861 regulations.)

- The U.S. Army in the West 1870-1880: Blanket – The regulation 1851-pattern blanket, according to specifications, measured 5 ½ feet wide by 7 feet long and weighed five pounds. Like many of the other contract articles of that time, however, the blankets were subject to variations from the standard. Two extant 1851 blankets in the collections of the Royal Danish Arsenal Museum measured 5 feet 8 ½ inches long by 6 feet 9 inches and 5 feet 8 ½ inches by 6 feet 3 inches. Their color was brownish-gray, with a black stripe about 3 ½ inches wide across the width near each end. The ends, unlike blankets made in the 20th century, were unbound. The letters "U.S.", averaging 4 ½ inches high, were hand stitched in the center with black yarn. Although these letters often were oriented to read parallel to the width of the blanket, they sometimes ran lengthwise. Apparently, at this early date it was immaterial which way they were arranged. Although the Woodhull report criticized the wartime army blanket, no immediate action was taken to improve it. Like so many other contract articles, the blankets seldom met specifications. They often contained shoddy and cotton fiber, were undersized, and were lighter in weight than required. Compounding the situation, the soldier was restricted to a single blanket provided to him at enlistment – and was not authorized a second one until his third year in service. The woolen blanket was one item a soldier would not be without, either in garrison or the field. (This was the origin of the soldier slang `take another blanket' meaning to re-enlist.) Despite the regulations, most men managed to obtain several blankets, by purchase either from the Quartermaster Department or from discharged soldiers. An officer wrote from Fort Walla Walla, `Of course no soldier...can keep alive in this climate with but two blankets, they all have six or eight, but it seems cruelly unjust to compel soldiers to expend their well earned pay [for] blankets at their own cost...or freeze to death.' A special board of officers that was assigned the task of finding a better blanket discovered that the Mission and Pacific Woolen Mills in San Francisco could produce an extremely high quality blanket, better than any available in the East. The specifications for the blanket remained the same, 5 ½ feet by 7 ½ feet, gray with black end stripes, five pounds in weight. Since blankets always were popular bartering items with soldiers, the letters `U.S.', four inches high, were placed in the center to identify them as government property. Although the specifications were mute as to whether the letters were to be placed parallel with the width or the length of the blanket, one extant specimen has them embroidered lengthwise. It is conceivable that some also were made with the `U.S.' across the width. Troops on the west coast were supplied with the `California' blanket immediately, whereas those living elsewhere were provided with a comparable blanket made under contract in the East.

- The U.S. Army in the West 1870-1880: Blanket, pattern 1873 – The specifications for blankets adopted on August 15, 1873, have not been located. It is presumed those described as `California' blanket adopted by the army the previous year.

- The U.S. Army in the West 1870-1880: Blanket, pattern 1876 – This gray woolen blanket was the same as the pattern of 1873 except that the end stripes and the `U.S.' were applied in indigo blue rather than black. The letters were either stamped on or woven into the blanket, at the preference of the manufacturer. The specifications called for the blanket to measure 66 inches by 84 inches and to weigh five pounds. One example of this blanket measured 63 ½ inches by 79 ½ inches, probably having shrunk somewhat through washing. The letters `U.S.', 3 5/8 inches high, were rather crudely stenciled in the center, parallel with the ends. The stripes, one across each end were spaced 5 inches from the ends. The color of another specimen was faded to a butternut hue. The 2 ¾ inch wide end stripes had assumed a shade close to royal blue. The badly faded letters, 3 ½ inches high, were stenciled on one side only, parallel with the width. This blanket measured 68 ½ inches by 78 ½ inches.
NRA Life, VFW Life, F&AM 
Old West Research & Studies Association
amateur wetplate photographer

Deadeye Don

Quote from: Wild Billy Potts on February 10, 2011, 04:03:14 PM
Don't forget shirnkage. No telling how many issued blackets (of several eras) I've seen that were smaller than regs, that showed signs of obvious shrinkage.

I thought about shrinkage also, but regarding the ebay blanket, I am not sure it would make sense for one dimension to shrink while the other dimension does not.

JimBob

Quote from: liten on February 10, 2011, 05:59:46 PM
the 1889 blanket specs  blue and white mix with dark blue 3'' strips 6" from the ends, doubt if that would have changed spanam war

The specifications for blankets did not change from the one adopted Jan.9.1885 till April 10,1905.

River City John

'Monterrey' Jack,

I will heartily agree with Nick Sekela and the authenticity/quality of his merchandise.
Plus, he is a rarity, he stresses personal customer service and responds immediately to e-mailed questions.
I have purchased many items and consider him to be outstanding.
(I have one of his folding camp chairs with back, and am lusting after one of his folding camp chairs with the arms as soon as they come back into production.)

Deadeye Don,
I would also consider checking into whether the Medical branches had a different pattern of blanket. Like most wars, more troops were put hors 'combat from the climate and disease, and I wouldn't wonder if a number of blankets found their way into field use?

RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

JimBob

Quote from: River City John on February 10, 2011, 07:00:05 PM

Deadeye Don,
I would also consider checking into whether the Medical branches had a different pattern of blanket. Like most wars, more troops were put hors 'combat from the climate and disease, and I wouldn't wonder if a number of blankets found their way into field use?

RCJ

Period pictures show Hospital Corp blankets as being white.Not good for combat. ;)

ConstellationMarine

We made a run of the correct M1885 Span-Am Blanket.   We have about 20 left.  If interested, contact me at bockmiller@comcast.net.

They are $100 each plus shipping.

Steve Bockmiller
Waynesboro, PA

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com