Can someone explain this for me?

Started by Wild Billy Potts, February 04, 2011, 06:02:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wild Billy Potts

NCOWS Originals class. I read the web sight but wasn't sure of everything about it. Does 2 guns mean it's a 2 gun only category? Any other particulars would be great.

Irish Dave

Hopefully one of the pards who shoots in the Originals class will chime in with more details, but yes, in short it is a 2-gun class. FWIW, however, NCOWS' Working Cowboy is also a 2-gun class, but the two classes are worlds apart in scoring and requirements.

Dave Scott aka Irish Dave
NCOWS Marshal Retired
NCOWS Senator and Member 132-L
Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

irishdave5857@aol.com

Major 2

In a nut shell.... you research an impression and build your persona around it.
Basically a persona of your own biography and imagination , document everything , your kit and the era you are portraying...

There several examples, Doc Bob's , Ottawa Creek Bill's  etc. on the NCOWS website.

It's scored partly by your peers (the other originals), as to your impression, and partly the two gun action.
It is a level above level 3

when planets align...do the deal !

Pancho Peacemaker

I've never competed in Originals, but I hope to get there some day.

To me, the "Originals" class is our "master" level competition.  The shooting (yes it is two gun) is only a small part.  You must be a true student of history to compete.  The winner of the "Originals" class is not just a good shot.  They have a high level of knowledge of the Old West.

Competitors are judged on their persona and their historic documentation.  Some folks will draw up authentic Union Army discharge papers.  Some will carry replica scrip correct to their period.  Their "kit" (clothing, leather, camping site, etc...) is judged based on it's historic accuracy.  Ex:  if your persona is an 1870 Confederate veteran, you'd best not have a Winchester '73 as your long arm.  Judging will include details such as the style of timepiece you carry, your style of gunleather, and even the items you carry in your pants pocket.

Dr. Bob is one of my favorite "Originals" to hang around.  His persona is a medical doctor who is wealthy and well travelled.  His dress is always dapper and he travels with fine china and a very nice spirit cabinet fitting a gentleman of his station.  He even sleeps with a handmade quilt that was made in the 1870's. 

In NCOWS, you usually only see the "Originals" class at major regional or national level competition. 

(Of note, this is the only class in NCOWS where your clothing and accessories are judged.  Other classes must have pre-1900 style clothing and leather, but your dress is not judged for competition.)

NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life
S&W Collectors Association

"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."
-T. Roosevelt (1858 - 1919)

Ima Sure Shot

Also of note is in the, "The Originals"  the two guns, are any two guns you would have carried. So it can be two rifles, rifle and shotgun, two pistols, two shotguns, rifle and pistol, shotgun and pistol. Although so far I think most have used rifle and pistol.  The other limiting factor is there must be at least three present at a shoot before the class is honored, as they judge each other. Celeste

Will Ketchum

There is a motion on the agenda of the 33rd congress to change the "any 2 guns" to a revolver and a rifle" in order to make scoring easier..

Books has made the motion and can elaborate on the particulars.

Will Ketchum
Will Ketchum's Rules of W&CAS: 1 Be Safe. 2 Have Fun. 3  Look Good Doin It!
F&AM, NRA Endowment Life, SASS Life 4222, NCOWS Life 133.  USMC for ever.
Madison, WI

Major 2

Dr. Bob is one of my favorite "Originals" to hang around.

MINE TOO !   
when planets align...do the deal !

Ima Sure Shot

I would say the scoring for the originals is different.  However, if all you are interested in is winning the shooting part, then enter the working cowboys for one rifle and one pistol.  That class (one rifle and one pistol) is already there. In fairness, I do not shoot in the originals class.Celeste

Texas Lawdog

Doctor Bob is good folks to visit with. He and I hit it off right off the bat. I'll get to see him and a bunch of my NCOWS friends at the Convention. He is a Dapper Dan.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Books OToole

Quote from: Will Ketchum on February 05, 2011, 11:41:12 AM
There is a motion on the agenda of the 33rd congress to change the "any 2 guns" to a revolver and a rifle" in order to make scoring easier..

Books has made the motion and can elaborate on the particulars.

Will Ketchum

In the five years that the "Originals" class has exsisted, no participant has shot with any combination other that 1 rifle and 1 pistol.
(There have be discussions on how we would score other combinations and no satisfactory conclusions have been reached.)

Therefore I proposed the change.

Books
G.I.L.S.

K.V.C.
N.C.O.W.S. 2279 - Senator
Hiram's Rangers C-3
G.A.F. 415
S.F.T.A.

Buffalow Red

so you can only shoot original firearms is that right not reproductions
No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
Thomas Jefferson
  SHOOT STRAIGHT & LETS BURN SOME POWDER
Warthogs rule
Life NRA
SCORRS/ rugers/ 66 in 44-40  , trap door shooter
Southern Mo. Ranger
SASS
BSA SM RETIRED

Tascosa Joe

No, you can shoot reproductions, but they have to match your character, time, and place.  The type of weapon must be documented to the time period.
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

Dr. Bob

Howdy,

The Originals shoot the same course of fire as the Working Cowboy class.  As Books pointed out that has been 1 revolver and 1 rifle.  Each shooter selects a persona and a year to recreate.  All clothing & equipment must be documented to the year and persona.  This must be written out and approved by 3 Originals.  After the shooting each shooter rates the others on a form.  In the 5 years that there has been an Original Class the top shooter has always been the winner.

If anyone wants to talk about the Original Class, my phone number is 816-716-8866  I am usually available from Noon to Midnight.  I have a large amount of roll over minutes and can call you back if that is a problem.  I am not the foremost authority, but have shot in the class since it was a side match at Ackley in 2005 at the Nationals.  If you like to research, it will be enjoyable.  If not, Working Cowboy is the same course of fine without any documentations requirement.  All the Original members are willing to help steer you toward sources of documentation. 
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com