Spencer SN locations

Started by L4aeronca, February 01, 2011, 03:30:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

L4aeronca

Howdy
does anyone know how many places the serial numbers were stamped on a Spencer? I have seen some with them on the cocking lever pieces, under the barrels as well as being behind the hammer.

5judge

My 1863-imanufactured M.1860 carbine has the minimum: one on the top rear of the receiver and one under the barrel close to the receiver. I understand it should have one on the underside of the buttplate(?), but it doesn't Otherwise, nada.

Arizona Trooper

Should be at the back of the receiver on top, behind the hammer, and under the barrel (have to take off the forearm wood). Some early rifles have the buttplate numbered on the inside surface, and the buttstock numbered where it is covered by the buttplate. Civilian Spencers have assembly numbers on all the major parts, but they do not correlate with the serial number.

L4aeronca

Thanks everyone

I took the forearm off and the SN there matched the receiver SN. Thats good to know. I did find further up the barrel but still under the forarm an " PR " stamped. Anyone know what this is? I did fine some very small letters stamped into the peices of the cocking lever works, but nothing else. Havent taken the butt plate off yet. I did notice that there appears to be a brass liner for the cartridge tube to slide into the stock in.

thanks again for the info. Makes me feel better that the SNs arent stamped all over the place.

DJ

The 1865 Burnside Spencers that were converted to rifles will have a serial number on the side of the barrel near the breech--that number should match the number on the receiver and is on the same side of the rifle as the saddle ring is located.

5judge

The brass stock tube on your piece is correct for early porduction.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com