Colt Cap Channels?

Started by Jubal Starbuck, February 01, 2011, 10:16:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jubal Starbuck

I was just wondering if anyone had ever compared the cap channel in the front of the recoil shield to the right of the hammer on a replica, whether it be an1851, 1860 ,Dragoon, or 1849 Colt, to an original Colt of the same model.  If so were there any differences between them?  I am curious as to whether Uberti or Pietta replica Colts have smaller cap channels than the old Colts had.

Regards,
Jubal Starbuck

Mako

Jubal,
I am an 1860 fanatic and I have been spending time reverse engineering them.  I also have an original 1860 built in 1861 or 1862 (there are different tables out there for production dates).  I use it as my control pistol to compare features against.

The Ubertis that I have (many pairs) are very similar. I'll explain why similar and not identical later. The Piettas are close as well, but I have a pair that differ from each other in depth.

http://i627.photobucket.com/albums/tt358/Mako_CAS/1860/FrameClearanceCut.jpg

This model was carefully developed and reflects a lot of measurement comparison and re-measurement using inspection equipment capable to the task.

The subtle difference I spoke of earlier has to do with 19th century tooling.  In most cases they didn't have a store or company to order cutting tools from.  They either made it themselves in their tooling shops or they contracted a tool with a shop that specialized in that work.  We still do that today, but we have common sized tools like endmills, drills, etc. availale everywhere.

The Italians are probably starting with off the shelf tools and modifying them with a relief cut clearance for the rear bearing surface.  The radii differ a few thousandths of an inch from the original which had custom tools ground for it.  You'd never know it if I didn't point it out to you.

Regards,
Mako
A brace of 1860s, a Yellowboy Saddle Rifle and a '78 Pattern Colt Scattergun
MCA, MCIA, MOAA, MCL, SMAS, ASME, SAME, BMES

Pettifogger

Mako.  Almost all my old Colt collection is gone.  However, I do have an original 1861 Navy someplace.  If you want I can look for it and take some photos if they will help your research.

Mossyrock

Quote from: Pettifogger on February 01, 2011, 08:45:04 PM
Mako.  Almost all my old Colt collection is gone.  However, I do have an original 1861 Navy someplace.  If you want I can look for it and take some photos if they will help your research.

Let me get this straight....I scramble to hang on to my Uberti repros and Colt Second Generation revolvers, and you have MISPLACED an ORIGINAL Colt 1861?  What kind of a World do we live in?   ;D
Mossyrock

"We thought about it for a long time... 'Endeavor to persevere.' And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union."

Lone Watie

Mako

Pettifogger,
I'm still in San Diego right now, just got back from watching the Ronald Reagan leave berth.  I will tell you just what shots I could use.  Do you ever disassemble that pistol?

Regards,
Mako

Pettifogger

Phew, almost had a heart attack.  Didn't have my glasses on and thought you were at the Ronald Reagan live birth!   I've had it apart.  Was going to shoot it, but decided to just go with a reproduction.

Mako

Quote from: Pettifogger on February 04, 2011, 09:24:12 AM
Phew, almost had a heart attack.  Didn't have my glasses on and thought you were at the Ronald Reagan live birth!   I've had it apart.  Was going to shoot it, but decided to just go with a reproduction.

Live Birth...almost correct, this is to be the final shake down.

As far as the pistol goes, there are some views of the hand channel, hammer channel and cylinder bearing race I would like to see.  I'm looking at every original '51, '61 or '60 I get access to.  I'm finding some differences and I want some comparison shots.  I can show you the views with model shots.

Thanks,
Mako

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com