What is a good source for SPG 45LC 250gr LRNFP Bullets

Started by Newt, February 01, 2011, 07:50:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newt

Hey Guys,
I'm looking for a good place to order some SPG lube 45 long colt bullets.   Looking for 45 long colt, 250 gr, LRNFP.
Thanks,
Newt

Dick Dastardly

There are several good casters in the Links section of the Big Lube®LLC web site.  http://www.biglube.com  Or click the banner below if you don't have add blocker turned on on your computer.

Of course, you could always cast your own.  The PRS 45-250 would be the RNFP bullet you'd be wanting.

Either way, these are the bullets that carry all that fouling softening lube that keeps your bp guns running on and on like pink bunnies.

DD-DLoS
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

Newt

I've been using SNS Casting Bullets for smokeless loads.  How bad would it be to use them with BP? 

Mako

Newt,
This is an intervention... PUT THE BULLETS DOWN SIR AND BACK AWAY FROM THE TABLE..Keep your hands where we can see them sir.

It's not the bullet (not entirely), it's the LUBE.  You need BP lube or you will be back on here asking us how to clean your pistol you shot with smokeless lube.  The right bullet helps tremendously because it carries a LOT of lube. 

See Dick's comment above, it's all you need to know.  Dick is a good man to do business with and the reason we are happy is that he either sells us molds or sells molds to casters we buy our bullets from.

Now Dick is being fair to the others on his site but I will bold faced push Springfield Slim.  A finer gentleman, honest businessman and Cowboy you'll not meet.  A lot of us on this forum all over the country buy from "Mark."
http://www.whyteleatherworks.com/BigLube.html

Buy the PRS 25 gr bullet, buy some FFg (2F) powder, load it full and use any large primer you have on hand.  What I mean by full is that you need 1/16th to 1/18th inch compression.  Here is a good illustrated post on determining powder compression:
http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,18257.0.html

For CAS range shooting (and even others unless you're shooting BPCR or other precision rifle) buy the cheapest FFg you can find.  You will be happy!  And fortunately for you as I said the primers can be anything. Look for bargains in powder and primers, but buy good bullets.  Fortunately Slim sells them at a good price. Oh and you will be amazed at the care in shipping and packaging...

Next...RESEARCH!! The answers you are looking for have already been answered.  You may already know that because you have been posting here and there, but learn to use the resources that are already out there.  The post above is in the "Dark Arts" section at the top of the Darksider's Den page.  It is our library.  Also use the search feature and you will find a wealth off information.

Now sir you may re-approach the table...Pick the bullets up and email some of your new CAS friends and offer them for sale.  If you are a member of a club (if you're not join at least one) they probably have a club page, a yahoo group orgoogle group page and you can send out a message there.  Sell them for about 3/4s of the price you paid for them  and plough it back into BP lubed billets.

Oh, one last advantage to BP lubed bullets...They shoot great in Smokeless loads if you for some reason needed to make some for "friends."  Of course we know you will be fully converted and smokiless powder will somehow seem "unclean."

Have fun Pard, and WELCOME to the DARK SIDE.

Regards,
Mako
A brace of 1860s, a Yellowboy Saddle Rifle and a '78 Pattern Colt Scattergun
MCA, MCIA, MOAA, MCL, SMAS, ASME, SAME, BMES

Newt

Mako,
LOL!!  Thanks!!  I really appreciate your help and information.  I'm planning on using one or two .60 veg. wads between the bullet and powder (goex ffg) hopefully reducing the fps to around 750.  I also plan to shoot these loads through my henry.  Will that work?
Newt

Dick Dastardly

Um Newt,

When you tire of wads, cookies and other adjuncts used to make Holy Black work for you, get some bullets that haul enough lube to get the job done, all stage, all day, all weekend, all week, all month, all year.  Bullets that release you from the need to clean to maintain accuracy or function.

Yes, it's being done.  Pards are doing it each weekend.

Welcome to the Darkside!  May trouble free shooting soon be yours.

DD-DLoS
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

Wildcat Will

I use Dick's molds and case the Big Lube 250gn 45s.  Lube them up and press them down over a full case of real BP FF.  No cookie, breakfast food (grits) or wads.  Just lots of lube and powder.  They make lots of Smoke, Fire, Boom and Stink and I have not problems shooting 8 stages in a day.  I'm a bit neurotic so I clean them after each match.  
Smoke makin', fire belching gunfighter of the VA Fire and Brimestone Posse    Blackpowder or No powder!

Courage is being scare as heck and still getting in the saddle.

Ranch 13

Quote from: Newt on February 01, 2011, 07:50:52 AM
Hey Guys,
I'm looking for a good place to order some SPG lube 45 long colt bullets.   Looking for 45 long colt, 250 gr, LRNFP.
Thanks,
Newt

Scroll to the bottom of Chey casts page for the bp lubed bullets.
http://www.cheycast.com/catalog.htm
Eat more beef the west wasn't won on a salad.

john boy

Newt, all depends on how far you plan to shoot your 45 RNFP bullets
< 100 yds, order the PRS bullets from Springfield Slim
> 100 yds, order the hard cast with BP lube ones from Chey

The Chey 45 Colt bullet looks like the original 454190 bullet and will shoot out to 300yds using BP.  It also carries enough lube to shoot a 2 day match with no binding in the revolvers.  Hear me, I bought one of the 1st PRS molds from Dick and shot CAS with them 100% of the time.  But I also shoot my 45 Colt at longer distances and the PRS will not produce the groups , even at 200yds.  So, I sold my PRS mold and the other rifle caliber ones, bought into a 6 gang original design square GG cut Group Buy for the 454190 and have been shooting this bullet ever since with original gun powder both for CAS and long distance
Regards
SHOTS Master John Boy

WartHog ...
Brevet 1st Lt, Scout Company, Department of the Atlantic
SASS  ~  SCORRS ~ OGB with Star

Devote Convert to BPCR

Newt

Alright guys, I'll get some ordered.  As far as loading a full case of BP goes, does anyone know what the fps is using a 250gr bullet.  I'm shooting a 45LC Uberti schofield and a Uberti Richards 1860 army.  I thought you were supposed to stay under a 1000 fps and under 14000 cup with these revolvers.  According to what I've heard Ten-X factory loaded BP for 45LC 250gr RNFP are running around 750 fps.  I'm just target practicing not trying to shoot through the side of a tank.

Newt

Ranch 13

Here's another place that does a good job on their bullets and offer a good variety.
http://www.montanabulletworks.com/45_Colt.html

I've clocked 250-265 gr bullets with 37 grs of goex 3f up to 900 fps from a 5.5 inch barrel.

Newt

Thanks Ranch 13,
I was guessing it would be more than that.

Newt

Ranch 13

You may get a little more than 900 fps from a 7.5 inch barrel using 3f. The 45 colt in its original loading was quite the war horse.
If you want to hold the velocity down some go with about 25-30 grs of 2f. But you need to be aware that the less pressure you run bp loads at the worse the fouling will be.

Newt

Ok, but to do that you have to use some type of filler, right?  I've ordered some 0.60 veg wads that should be showing up today.  I've been told it's ok to use two of them if I need to.  Any thoughts on that?

Thanks,
Newt

john boy

Regards
SHOTS Master John Boy

WartHog ...
Brevet 1st Lt, Scout Company, Department of the Atlantic
SASS  ~  SCORRS ~ OGB with Star

Devote Convert to BPCR

Ranch 13

No no filler needed, just be sure there's enough powder in the case that the base of the bullet is in firm contact with the powder, or if you have a fiber wad over the powder that it is solid contact with the powder and the bullet is seated against the wad.  Just 1 viber wad .030 thick is more than sufficient in the colt case.

Newt

Thanks guys,  I guess!!  I think I'm really confused now.  Just had a package or 0.60 wads show up today from Cabela's that it sounds like I don't need.   John Boy says 750 fps with 42gr of ffg. . . .Don't you have to compress the heck out of that to get it in the case?  Guess I'll experiment tonight?

Newt

Ranch 13

Newt if you have the .060 wads then use them, but 1 is a plenty. You may also want to experiment and see what happens without a wad, alho I think the fouling will be easier to deal with with a wad than without.

Newt

Bryan Austin

EDITED: Guys I am very sorry. I just received this private message, {snip} "You post before you read a lot, and you do it on other forums and sites as well.  Go back and read where two days ago people already gave links to Mark Whyte's bullets and already said what you thought was brilliant info. "

I will refrain in the future from answering any questions....and well....I guess I won't ask any more either.

Ya'll have fun, I get the hint!  :(

Quote from: Newt on February 01, 2011, 07:50:52 AM
Hey Guys,
I'm looking for a good place to order some SPG lube 45 long colt bullets.   Looking for 45 long colt, 250 gr, LRNFP.
Thanks,
Newt

Springfield Slim sells nice 45 large lube groove bullets http://www.whyteleatherworks.com/BigLube.html

Dick Dasterdly sells some great black powder bullet lube as well as the large lube groove bullet molds. http://www.biglube.com/

You stated you wanted these for targets? If so I just use the J/P 200. There is also the Schofield 195 gr, Springfield Slim casts both of these. For hunting, self defense or just for the nostalgia of it, theres the Lyman 454190 250gr. Or the RPS 250gr

Charge the case with FF or FFF enough so the bullet touches the powder with no airspace. Usually 35gr is plenty and of course, 40-42 is maxed out pretty good but will need to be compressed which can deform the nose of soft lead bullets unless you use a compression die or a harder lead alloy mixture.

Personally I use the 200gr J/P, from Springfield Slim, for CAS with 35gr of BP (Goex FF). Chronographed out of my Uberti Cattleman 5.5 794fps@279ft/lbs of energy.

For Self defense/hunting I cast my own Lyman 454190 250gr out of wheel weights using Dick Dastardly's BP lube over 36gr/v (40gr/w) of Swiss FF and chronographed at 945fps @ 502 ft/lbs of energy. Add about 300fps for rifle.

Not necessarily the best choice of loads but its what I have on hand.

Chasing The 44-40 Website: https://sites.google.com/view/44winchester

Chasing The 44-40 Forum: https://44-40.forumotion.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com