More changing times (Another interesting collection to study.)

Started by Delmonico, January 28, 2011, 11:00:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Delmonico

Another really interesting picture collection is the Northern Great Plains: Photographs from the Fred Hultstrand and F.A. Pazandak Collections.  Owned by Institute for Regional Studies & University Archives North Dakota State University
Fargo, N.D, it covers 1880-1920. It contains photos by Fred Hultstrand and F.A. Pazandak. 

Both of these collections can be viewed on American Memory at:

http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/award97/ndfahtml/ngphome.html

From the site:

The Fred Hultstrand History in Pictures Collection consists of some 550 images documenting the settlement of the northern Great Plains, particularly northeastern North Dakota. In addition, approximately 300 of these images were later hand-colored, adding a unique flavor to the collection presented here. Throughout his life, Fred Hultstrand exhibited the good sense to take note of the ways in which life went on about him and to record his impressions by means of a camera. He spent over sixty years photographing the people and events of his region.

The subject content of the collection is very diverse, ranging from early sod homes, to farming scenes, to small town life, to social events, and to education on the prairie. Subject strengths include: sod buildings, farming, one-room schools, women, children, and stores & shops in small town America. There are images of plowing, threshing, steam engines, and horses. Weather, always a major concern, includes blizzards, snow, and winter. Other images contain scenes of eating & drinking, hunting, celebrations, and women's organizations. The ethnic diversity of the region is evident with the numerous images of Norwegian Americans, Icelandic Americans, Canadian Americans, British Americans, and others. Through this collection you will witness the transformation of a part of the American frontier in the short span of forty years, from the early 1880s to the 1920s.

The F.A. Pazandak Photograph Collection includes 119 images taken by him in the early twentieth century on the family farm near Fullerton, in southeastern North Dakota. F.A. Pazandak, a North Dakota farmer, developed an early interest in photography, a fortunate development for us today. He not only participated in the transition from horses to steam engines to gas tractors, but recorded that transition through the eye of his camera, thus capturing forever an important part of American agricultural history. Although the subject content is narrow, it is the concentration of closely related images in a relatively short time span which makes it such an interesting collection. Subject strengths include plowing, disking, seeding, binding grain, threshing, and the machinery used for these operations—steam engines and tractors. There are also images of the agricultural laborers who worked the fields, and several social scenes of the family. Even the Sears, Roebuck and Company prefabricated house Pazandak built for his new bride is documented. Through this collection you will witness the mechanization of American farming in the early twentieth century.

Though some of the pictures are hand tinted and the resolution  is not as high as some collections, it is a interesting site to view how things were changing on the Great Plains.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

JimBob

LOL Quit it.Sink full of dishes,laundry needs done,pantry empty,TV ain't been on for over a week. ;D

Delmonico

Quote from: JimBob on January 29, 2011, 10:43:08 AM
LOL Quit it.Sink full of dishes,laundry needs done,pantry empty,TV ain't been on for over a week. ;D

Wash the dishes, you can do laundry while you look, oh and order a pizza.  TV, who cares, it ain't worth the time most times.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

River City John

Hell, do the laundry and the dishes together in one big tub!
Put a stock pot on the back burner of the stove and scrape the leftovers into it before washing the dishes. Throw some succotash and salt in and call it soup. There's your meal.

And if you stand while browsing these libraries, and occasionally jump up and down with glee over finding some obscure thing documented, there's your exercise.

Now, as to reliefs of Nature, . . .
:D
RCJ  
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Delmonico

Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

JimBob

Such helpfull suggestions,should I wash the glasses before or after I do the socks? ::)

River City John

The answer is so obvious I'm fairly amazed you didn't think of it. Sheesh!

Wash the glasses using the socks. The toes of socks get way down into the bottom, especially those narrow Champagne Flutes.

RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

JimBob

Quote from: River City John on January 29, 2011, 06:31:28 PM
The answer is so obvious I'm fairly amazed you didn't think of it. Sheesh!

Wash the glasses using the socks. The toes of socks get way down into the bottom, especially those narrow Champagne Flutes.

RCJ

SHIZZAM,I'd never even thought of that,two birds with one stone.Don't own any Champage flutes,but that oughtta work real good for the Pilsner glasses. :P

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com