The Zulu Shotguns in the Butcher Collection

Started by Delmonico, January 25, 2011, 12:08:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Delmonico

Looking through the shotguns pictures in the Butcher Collection I found two that seem to be what is known as a Zulu shotgun.  For those who don't know what these are, here is a definition from Midway Gun-Tec Dictionary:

Definition for "Zulu shotgun" : A name for a number of shotguns converted from European military rifles. The "Zulu" shotgun was converted in the "Snider" fashion to 12 gauge shotguns. They were converted from old 12 Bore Muskets (.74 calibre), as newer rifled muskets became available to the troops these now obsolete smooth bored percussion guns were no longer required. The term Zulu is a misnomer as very few ever reached African native Zulu. These breechloading shotguns were sold from the late 1800s well into the 1900s.   

I will add of these I've seen, some had Zulu stamped somewhere on it, some haven't.  The one I own does not, also they seem to vary a lot from gun to gun.  A few pictures off aution sites:

And the ones from the Butcher Collection:

Picture 11060:

Picture 14538:

BTW if anyone owns one of these, they are not considered safe to shoot even with blackpowder ammo.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

JimBob

The existing shipping records of Schuyler,Hartley,and Graham show that 36 "Zulu" shotguns shipped to Collins and Petty in Omaha Oct.22,1881.Wonder if any of those originated from that shipment?

Delmonico

Quote from: JimBob on January 25, 2011, 02:19:48 PM
The existing shipping records of Schuyler,Hartley,and Graham show that 36 "Zulu" shotguns shipped to Collins and Petty in Omaha Oct.22,1881.Wonder if any of those originated from that shipment?

Could be, mine might have, Great-Great Grandpa lived near Sidney Iowa, SH&G was a large wholesaler in the area.

BTW Great Grandpa hunted geese for the market with the one I have, my grandma was his bird dog.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

JimBob

I've never seen one of these that wasn't about plumb used up.

Four-Eyed Buck

I've seen one, at an antique store about four years ago. Can't remember what they wanted for it now.......Buck ::)
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Delmonico

Quote from: Four-Eyed Buck on January 25, 2011, 02:54:16 PM
I've seen one, at an antique store about four years ago. Can't remember what they wanted for it now.......Buck ::)

If they wanted more than $100 it was too much and I'm not really sure they are worth that.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Colt Fanning

Howdy,
I have a Zulu made from a Model 1857 French musket that belonged to my G-Grandfather.
The story goes that he came to Central Texas about 1880 and bought the shotgun in order to shoot a wild turkey for thanksgiving.
Regards
Colt

Shotgun Franklin

I've always wondered what happen to all the Mexican muskets captured at San Jacinto?
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Delmonico

Quote from: Shotgun Franklin on January 27, 2011, 10:12:58 AM
I've always wondered what happen to all the Mexican muskets captured at San Jacinto?

Well I doubt they were made into cheap breech-loaders. ::)  Most likely were taken by anyone who wanted them and worn out through use. 

Since you live in Texas, I would contact the state Historical Society and see what they know.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com