New to Blackpowder and this forum.

Started by Papa Irish, January 23, 2011, 07:44:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Papa Irish

Hi all,
I recently bought a cap and ball gun and a starter kit.  I have shot up all the balls in the kit and am wondering where you all get balls (no puns now please ::) ) and if there is an FAQ for the Darksider's Den?  Some of the posts I have read are chock full of great info. 
Thanks
Papa Irish
Papa Irish
"Smile when you say that pardner"

rickk

Balls can be bought online through many sources... just search for "muzzleloading supplies". Shipping cost is a factor, so take that into consideration.

Many bigger retail gun shops will carry them or be able to special order them for you as well.

I suspect that most of the people on this forum cast their own though. The balls are the most expensive part of shooting when bought, but can be virtually free once a mold and a suitable melting pot is obtained. The cost for lead is inversely related to your ability to scrounge or bargain with the local scrap yard. You would be looking for softer lead, scrap lead pipe or lead flashing being good choices.  Lead melting can be done in an electric furnace made special for bullet casting, or it can be done in an old cast iron frying pan on a propane turkey fryer.

Dick Dastardly

Our Moderator, Mr. Cuts Crooked has a child board where you can search various black powder questions.

Welcome here!

Glad you found us.  Pull up a chair and sit a spell.  Good palaver happening around this fire.

DD-DLoS
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

john boy

Regards
SHOTS Master John Boy

WartHog ...
Brevet 1st Lt, Scout Company, Department of the Atlantic
SASS  ~  SCORRS ~ OGB with Star

Devote Convert to BPCR

Papa Irish

Papa Irish
"Smile when you say that pardner"

Noz

If you start casting, stay away from wheel weights. They are generally too hard for round balls.

Papa Irish. A couple of generations back, the names O'Herlihy and Sullivan appear in my family tree.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com