SAA Tune-Up

Started by Yooper Kid, January 16, 2011, 06:18:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yooper Kid

Looking for a top gunsmith to tune up the action on my new Uberti Cattleman.......Does anyone here have any first hand knowledge of "Cody Conagher" or "Longhunter"?

St. George

Before you embark on that quest - do this:

Shoot it.

A lot...

Then, disassemble it and stone away any now-visible high spots, then clean thoroughly and lube properly.

You may be pleasantly surprised by the action.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Shotgun Franklin

Wouldn't hurt to try a Wolfe Spring Kit either.
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Fox Creek Kid

Quote from: Shotgun Franklin on January 16, 2011, 07:34:46 PM
Wouldn't hurt to try a Wolfe Spring Kit either.

Yes, but avoid the piano wire bolt spring like the plague.  ;)

Coffinmaker

Longhunter does excellent work.  Cody Conagher has a good reputation although I haven't personally seen any of his handgun work.
Before you spend a lot of money I would suggest you contact VTI Gunparts for a reduced power Main Spring and the trigger/bolt spring from Pietta.  Much more user friendly for less than 50 bucks.
As mentioned by FCK, avoid a wire trigger/bolt spring.  They feel mushy.

Coffinmaker

Deadeye Don

To answer you question, both Cody and Longhunter will do a fine job for you.  Cody is the one that smooths up the Smokewagons for Taylors.  I have one of those and it is by far the smoothest Colt reproduction that I have.  While doing the work yourself can be rewarding, some of us simply do not have the time or the ability to do so.
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Shotgun Franklin

QuoteYes, but avoid the piano wire bolt spring like the plague.

I have'm in 4 guns and have never had a problem with any of'm.

Fox Creek Kid

Quote from: Shotgun Franklin on January 17, 2011, 12:56:00 PM
I have'm in 4 guns and have never had a problem with any of'm.

They can never equal the feel and "snap" of a properly fitted normal flat spring. The piano wire spring feels "mushy" as Coffinmaker pointed out. I don't know how you shoot, but many of the two handed "speed demons" get over rotation as well from using them. If you shoto slowly or Duelist then no problem other than they do not feel normal.

Shotgun Franklin

Quotethey do not feel normal.

All I know is that they work in mine and while I've had 2 flat springs break, I've never had a wire spring break.

Yooper Kid

Decided to go with Cody..........got the gun back today and what a difference - it feels like a different gun.  Cody did a fine job & I would not hesitate to recommend him.

w.b. masterson

First thing, decide WHY you want a "tuned" Colt.  A Colt for fast draw would be tuned totally different than one for Cowboy action shooting.
"There are those who argue that everything breaks even in this old dump of a world of ours. I suppose these ginks who argue that way hold that because the rich man gets ice in the summer and the poor man gets it in the winter things are breaking even for both. Maybe so, but I'll swear I can't see it

Fox Creek Kid

Quote from: w.b. masterson on March 13, 2011, 04:01:17 AM
First thing, decide WHY you want a "tuned" Colt...

Haven't you heard? A tuned gun can make a man into a real gunfighter!! Just like a Ferrari can make a 70 yr. ol' duffer into a stud! Like an aftershave can cause women to swarm at your feet!!  ::) ;D :D ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com