JOHN WAYNE HOLSTER PATTERN

Started by Django, January 15, 2011, 12:03:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kid Cavalier

Quote from: Slowhand Bob on August 16, 2012, 04:44:05 PM
Guys, just spotted this and would terribly love to have it BUT, sadly the finances do not include new purchases of wall hangers.  Just in case any of you are into collecting this sort of memorabilia, good luck.   http://www.ebay.com/itm/200806110748?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_5700wt_970

The originals sold for $350.  Wonder what the final price of this one will be.  It looks like it is a complete set.
KID CAVALIER
Maker of Fine Gunleather

Slowhand Bob

Bidding has been slow BUT these things often speed up in the last 24hrs and literally go crazy within the closing seconds.  I have a couple of the old Bianchi 45acp competition holsters but nothing as nice as this set.  You can bet that if the timing had been better I would be in there playing the game for this one.  It ill make a nice display piece for some lucky collector.

I found this old model 50 and the price is still low on it also.  Sometimes these black left-handers will stay lower but the tan right handed versions frequently top a hundred dollars, even in somewhat lesser condition!  I think the old models 50 and 45 are two excellent holsters for use in Wild Bunch and wonder why Bianchi has not tried to revamp them.  Is it possible that there was an agreement not to use any of those old designs when the business was sold but such would have included the original Duke holster as well, no??

http://www.ebay.com/itm/110936936382?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_796wt_708  

Crossdrawnj

I broke out my September 1981 issue of Guns & Ammo and on page 51 is the advertisement for the Duke commemorative gun belt/holster set. $250.00 plus shipping and limited to only 3000. Had I only known then and had the money.

Curley Cole

Quote from: Crossdrawnj on August 20, 2012, 04:55:24 PM
I broke out my September 1981 issue of Guns & Ammo and on page 51 is the advertisement for the Duke commemorative gun belt/holster set. $250.00 plus shipping and limited to only 3000. Had I only known then and had the money.
[/quote

"had I know then and had the money"  I would have that NEW $125 Colt, that Duke rig and at least 10oz of golld...

What is it they say about hindsight??

PS: I used to collect Coca Cole stuff..I had these silver bars from each bottling plant. I sold them all when the Hunt bros tried to run the silver market. I just bought one back for about $70 just to have one

curley]
Scars are tatoos with better stories.
The Cowboys
Silver Queen Mine Regulators
dammit gang

Slowhand Bob

These went cheaper than I would have expected, especially since they appeared to be in a very good but used condition and had all of the extras well kept.  I would love to think that one of our cowboys got this one but will probably never know.  Bet those fokes watching the Duke 60 years ago would never have dreamed their kids would be paying big bux fer a scrap of anything that had his sweat and dirt on it!  Has anyone ever seen any reference to the Duke getting caught up in the fast gun craze of the fifties/sixties, while it was so popular in Hollyweird? 

Crossdrawnj

What did the Bianchi st sell for? There has been one set on ebay for a long time starting at $999.99 with no bids at all.

Crossdraw

Crossdrawnj

Kid Cavalier

Quote from: Crossdrawnj on August 20, 2012, 04:55:24 PM

Thanks for the correction. John has been telling me for years it was $350.
KID CAVALIER
Maker of Fine Gunleather

Slowhand Bob

You can bet that I would have bid on this one had not other issues been taxing the purse strings already.  It was a really nice set and I think the purchaser got a bargain.  I know this style is still somewhat popular and you guys still produce an equivalent version but do wonder why you have not picked up on a couple of the older designs that were dropped years ago?  I know that several of the early 1911 IPSC competition rigs were overtaken by the use of plastics and space-ball designs but, as sometimes happens with the old clothes in the back of the closet, their time has come again.  A couple of the old JB designs are as good or better than anything available today for the developing Wild Bunch shooting sport.  The old model 45 holster, with its metal skeleton just can not be surpassed as a traditional competition design for those who want a 1911 holster that will match the drop found in many of their revolver holsters.

Guys I just received the latest Journal and must say that Kid Cavalier is really showing up in the forefront with John frequently now days.  I am also glad to see him stopping by here more often again and hope to see some of his latest work, when he has the time to post.     

Crossdrawnj

I just finished tracing the Ghormley Duke pattern (I didn't want to cut it out). I noticed it has a straight drop. I always thought the duke rig had a FBI type of cant - muzzle to the rear as pictured in the above posts. Perhaps Will can help with some input.

Crossdraw

Slowhand Bob

I think you are right on the original having an FBI cant BUT most SASS shooters do not want to use a muzzle to the rear cant.  Does he not have a a dotted fold line between the skirt and the holster pouch?  On most holsters this is where you insert cant angles but someone else will have to tell you the proper angle to use for a Duke holster.

Crossdrawnj

There is a fold line, but, it is straight across the loop. There are no options for a cant angle on this pattern. I could modify the pattern myself but I just thought it odd it didn't include this. Maybe 10 or 15 degrees.

Crossdraw.

outrider

Several years ago I made a set of "Duke " holsters and did a modification so I could use one as a crossdraw.
Outrider  (formerly "Dusty Dick" out of PA.)
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

Slowhand Bob

Not having the pattern here to look at I will still make a stab at this and perhaps someone else will jump in also.  First determine what you think to be the correct amount of cant, in degrees.  You can alter the pattern in one of two ways, with a copy of the pattern laying out flat, draw an angle line on either side of the fold line that is equal to the chosen cant angle, which actually gives a double of the desired degrees.  Cut that V out that you have created and bring the newly created pattern lines back together and the crease should now be angled right for you.  The other way would be to fold the pattern copy at the straight hang fold lne and simply cut across both thickness's at the same time with just the desired angle.  Two things to remember before going to leather, be sure you did the V in the correct direction to create  the FBI cant and not one for cross-draw and also consider whether you need to add just a tad to the overall drop as cant does seem to take up a bit of extra fold space in tight corners.  I tend to make things sound more complicated than they really are so I'm hoping someone will help out.  Stohlmans Holster book really does a good visual on how this cant line is adjusted.   

Crossdrawnj

Thanks for the tip Slowhand. I have that book. I'll dig it out and use it for reference.

Crossdraw

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com