Anybody know how to put springs in this one?

Started by GunClick Rick, January 14, 2011, 11:53:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GunClick Rick

A lady friend that owns an antique store gave me this the other day.I got new panels from Dixie gun works for it,looks like thay may have the innards for it too.The cylinder free spins and the hand spring is gone and the trigger works if ya push it back forward..Made in 1882 38 Lightning...I helped her move some stuff and she knew i collected cowboy and indian items and told me to take it home and do somethin with it.I'm just going to hang it in a shadow box with some old leather.. :)

Bunch a ole scudders!

Fox Creek Kid

Lucky for you a friend of mine had one apart once & I snapped a photo. Scroll down.

;D

Jubal Starbuck

You may want to take a look in "Gunsmithing Guns of the Old West" by David R. Chicoine.  Pages 130-133 have info on 1877 Colts that could be of assistance to you.  That is a really neat piece.  I don't think I would be able to rest until I got it in shooting shape and fired it some before putting it up for display.  I've heard they have a tendency to go thru springs more so than the 1873 models, so maybe an extra set would be good property in case you take a liking to shooting it.  Just my 2 cents worth.

Best regards,

Jubal Starbuck

litl rooster

Mathew 5.9

St. George

These can be a nightmare to work on, and spare parts are difficult to find, so it's doubtful Dixie has much on hand.

The problem is going to be the springs and lock-up - one of the big reasons no one wants to work on them.

See the other threads involving these.

Good Luck.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

GunClick Rick

Bunch a ole scudders!

John Taylor

Had a customer send four to me for putting back together after he had the frames color cased. One of the frames was broken. but he had another blued frame with the parts. Got the first two together in one day. the others took a while. All the parts are hand fitted to each gun and may not be interchangeable. I did get the other two together but it took a couple new cylinder bolts and springs.
John Taylor, gunsmith

GunClick Rick

Well maybe i will just get the guts and frame them with the gun :-\ :P
Bunch a ole scudders!

Devil Anse Hatfield

Well
If the dinner table seats 12 you will have room to drink Coffee by yourself the morning after you take it apart.
really its not that bad its much worse.
I have one apart and back togther in same day. However I was the kid that had everything apart to see what made it tick. But I usually got it all back and working .
Devil

garra

I acquired a couple of 1877 Colts a few months ago and repaired both of them.  I went the Dixie route for parts and I was really disappointed in the quality of what I received, the sear was a piece of junk.  If you want some good parts try these guys for springs http://www.poppertsgunparts.com/.  They sell a kit of springs for this model with the hand, strut, sear/stop/ trigger and ejector all for $24.95 delivered.  Great quality.  the 38 I got was missing the sear and had broken springs in  it.  I speced out a sear from the other one and made mine own from a solid piece of steel.  Fitted it and then hardened it.
I fell into these by accident and got them both for almost nothing, but both of them were broken.  Externally they were in good condtion and all the original parts were there except for the sear,  broken springs, missing pins, usual broken grips, just on the right side.
If you want any advise on repairing these old gals, I'll be happy to help you.  They are a bit of fun to figure out.

gg

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com