What ever happened to.......

Started by Wild Billy Potts, January 13, 2011, 08:07:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wild Billy Potts

..the Henry repops chambered in .44spl? Weren't these available for a while? Did they not sell very well and like most other historical chamberings fall to the .38/.45 race mindset?

Long Juan

Wish I knew the answer.  I would really like to have a Henry chambered for .44 Special to use as an alternate to my 66 in that caliber.  There been some posts about rechambering a .44-40 or even a .45LC, but no one things that is feasible or at least practical.  So, for now, I guess I will just wish.  Open to any suggestions. 
CAPT John (Long Juan) Soule
Texican Rangers, Fredericksburg, Texas
Plum Creek Shooting Society, Lockhart, Texas
SASS #84671 NCOWS #3322 STORM #368
GAF #737,  Department of Missouri, Division of Texas
www.tarryhollowgang.com

Fox Creek Kid

I think there was no real demand for them as well as for the Henry in general & the "gamer" mentality has infected the vast majority.  ;)

Long Johns Wolf

As the happy owner of a Henry in .44 Special shooting .44 Colt through her I have to agree with Fox Creek Kid, I am afraid.
Long Johns Wolf
BOSS 156, CRR 169 (Hon.), FROCS 2, Henry Board, SCORRS, STORM 229, SV Hofheim 1938, VDW, BDS, SASS

Long Juan

Guess I just need to find someone lucky enough to have a Henry chambered in .44 SPL who is interested in selling. 

Anyonel? 
www.tarryhollowgang.com

Coffinmaker

Well ...... no.  I don't have a .44 Spl.  Long Johns Wolf managed to get one from Uberti but by "special" special order when he visited the factory.  There were a few .44 Spl Henry's from Uberti but very few.  Unfortunately when Uberti was still in a position to make .44 Spl, no one had thought of shooting .44 Russian cases (takes a modified carrier) to approximate the original .44 Henry Flat case size.  A shame.
I don't think the "gamer" mentality ever affected those of us who like to play with the Henry.  I'm a "gamer" most of the and shoot .38 Spl most of the time I'm in gamer mode (only when it's my turn to shoot) but I am almost as fast with my Henry(s) shooting .45 Cowboy Special (modified carrier again).
If you can find someone to do it, a 44-40 chamber can be sleeved down to .44 Spl.  Ain't cheap, but it is doable.  Henry's are FUN!!!

Coffinmaker

Long Johns Wolf

Amen to that Coffinmaker!
And FWIW not only at CAS distances but also at medium long-range distances beyond the 200 yards with the venerable .44 Colt.
I have to admit, however, that I get better long-range accuracy out of mine when I load factory .44 Specials instead of my .44 Colt reloads.
These 2 mm difference in case length between the .44 Colt and the .44 Special probably make a difference in the accuracy department.
I used to own another .44-40 Henry that was converted to .44 Colt by setting back the barrel, i. e. she had the proper chamber lenght for the .44 Colt. That was the most accurate pistol caliber lever gun I ever owned.
I guess when you are able to place an order for 100 Henries in .44 Special Uberti would make them including the finish of your choice. Because the .44 Special is still a "regular production item" for which they have the CAT number which is mandatory for regular export.
You could probably special order a "semi-finished" Henry from Uberti with a .44 cal barrel (.429 dia) without chamber! And have the chamber of your choice cut by a competent smith in the USA.
Long Johns Wolf
BOSS 156, CRR 169 (Hon.), FROCS 2, Henry Board, SCORRS, STORM 229, SV Hofheim 1938, VDW, BDS, SASS

Mossyrock

Quote from: Coffinmaker on January 14, 2011, 12:00:41 PM
Well ...... no.  I don't have a .44 Spl.  Long Johns Wolf managed to get one from Uberti but by "special" special order when he visited the factory.  There were a few .44 Spl Henry's from Uberti but very few.  Unfortunately when Uberti was still in a position to make .44 Spl, no one had thought of shooting .44 Russian cases (takes a modified carrier) to approximate the original .44 Henry Flat case size.  A shame.
I don't think the "gamer" mentality ever affected those of us who like to play with the Henry.  I'm a "gamer" most of the and shoot .38 Spl most of the time I'm in gamer mode (only when it's my turn to shoot) but I am almost as fast with my Henry(s) shooting .45 Cowboy Special (modified carrier again).
If you can find someone to do it, a 44-40 chamber can be sleeved down to .44 Spl.  Ain't cheap, but it is doable.  Henry's are FUN!!!

Coffinmaker

Just out of curiosity, what does the 44-40 Henry bore measure? .427" or .429"?
Mossyrock

"We thought about it for a long time... 'Endeavor to persevere.' And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union."

Lone Watie

Henry4440

Quote from: Mossyrock on January 14, 2011, 12:21:19 PM
Just out of curiosity, what does the 44-40 Henry bore measure? .427" or .429"?

Could be either, bore diameters have varied on Ubertis from .427, .428 to .429.
;)

Long Johns Wolf

FWIW: the .44 cal. tubes of Uberti I have measured during the last couple of years, no matter if they were of a carbine, rifle or pistol, if they were .44-40, .44 Special, .44 Russian or .44 Colt cal., were pretty consistent at .429
Long Johns Wolf

stepnmud

44 Special would seem to be a natural for the Henry rifle, to me  8)with much more common ammo available than 44WCF(a wonderful caliber), maybe more folks would be interested in the Henry if 44Spl/44Russian was available. I'm glad to have a Uberti's Henry anyways. I may be a quasi 'gamer' with a converted Henry 44R. with a Happy Trails threaded chamber insert and modified bolt/carrier. ::)Sure is fun on the range with the stubby blackpowder rounds.

Long Juan

Thanks everyone for all the good, but disappointing information.  Really do wish we could get Uberti to make a run of .44 SPL Henrys.  I would buy one for sure.  Guess I will have to stick with my .45LC for now. 
www.tarryhollowgang.com

Wild Billy Potts

Thanks for all the info pards. I guess when I go to buy my Henry and '66 (in about a year) I'll probably just go with the .45 Colt since I have dies and brass in that chambering, ease of reloading compared to my beloved .44-40, and it'll hit the deer hardest when I use it to hunt.

Fox Creek Kid

Quote from: Lonesome Henry on January 14, 2011, 02:20:54 PM
Could be either, bore diameters have varied on Ubertis from .427, .428 to .429.
;)

AND larger. Mine is 0.430". Some Uberti pistols go 0.432"!!

Coffinmaker

Long Juan,

If you want to have a barrel of fun with your .45, order a carrier from Adirondack Jack (Adirondack Jacks Trading Post).  The carrier has a spring loaded cartridge stop for short cases.  Load it up with his .45 Cowboy Special cases (same length as .45 ACP).  Close to the size of the original .44 Henry Flat and you can get 17 of 'em into the magazine. 
Loads on Sunday and shoots all week!!!  FUN!!!

Coffinmaker

Texas Lawdog

I bought a 45 Long Colt model Henry to go with my 45 Long Colt revolver. I got a good bargain on it. The ammo is easier to find for me because I don't reload.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Driftwood Johnson

QuoteCould be either, bore diameters have varied on Ubertis from .427, .428 to .429.

The groove diameter of my Henry is .429. However the groove diameter of my Uberti '73 is .427. I have slugged it several times to make sure. For what it's worth, both my Winchester Model 1892 made in 1894, and my Marlin Model 1894, made in 1895, are both .427. I forget what the diameter of my 1919 made Winchester 1892 carbine is. I think it is .429, but I'm not completely sure.
That's bad business! How long do you think I'd stay in operation if it cost me money every time I pulled a job? If he'd pay me that much to stop robbing him, I'd stop robbing him.

Ya probably inherited every penny ya got!

Wild Billy Potts

Quote from: Coffinmaker on January 15, 2011, 09:59:03 AM
Long Juan,

If you want to have a barrel of fun with your .45, order a carrier from Adirondack Jack (Adirondack Jacks Trading Post).  The carrier has a spring loaded cartridge stop for short cases.  Load it up with his .45 Cowboy Special cases (same length as .45 ACP).  Close to the size of the original .44 Henry Flat and you can get 17 of 'em into the magazine. 
Loads on Sunday and shoots all week!!!  FUN!!!

Coffinmaker

Wouldn't that .45 Cowboy be the same as the .45 Auto Rim?

Jbar4Ranch

Internally, yes, more or less, but the rim is thicker. I believe the .45 AR came about to be able to shoot a rimmed cartridge in revolvers that were made for the .45 acp using half moon clips, 'cept you wouldn't need the clips with the rimmed AR cartridge. As such, the AR cartridge has a rim the thickness of the half moon clip plus the rim of the acp cartridge. Cowboy specials won't work cuz the firing pin won't reach the primer, and AR cases normally won't work in SA revolvers or rifles because of the thicker rim.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com