The common settler on the great plains

Started by Delmonico, January 11, 2011, 08:48:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Delmonico

This next picture we'll look over is the Shores family near Westerville Custer County.  (Picture 10527) 

Left to right are Minerva Shores (with the infant) Rev. Marks Shores, Rachel Shores and her husband Jerry Shores and their son, Jim Shores.

Jerry Shores seems to have on a bib-shirt with the bib removed, Jim seems to have one where it is mostly sewn one with just a button on the one side to let it be pulled on.  I've seen a couple others like it in pictures.

Typical piles of stuff near the door including a grindstone:

The writing on the box was just not clear enough to bring out:

Team of horses and wagon, note the wash stand on the side of the house, also very common in Butcher photos:

The sod-house on the left seems to be showing some age, like this around the door frame:

And here on the side:

Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Mogorilla

Looks like the Shores family has one happy dog. 

Professor Marvel

My Dear Del
thanks for the further photos and commentary-
I find it interesting that the erosion to the sod bricks is virtually identical to the erosion to the local 100+ year old (unstabilized) adobe brick. Adobe, if plastered and maintained will stay solid for many many years.... Has anyone ever plastered the exterior of a soddie?

yhs
prof marvel
Your Humble Servant

praeceptor miraculum

~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Delmonico

Some were done, however few went to the trouble, they were intended mostly as a quick house with a frame one to follow in a few years. There are some that have survived though over a 100 years if the problems are fixed right away.  Met a guy the other day that has one like that one the family ranch, I;d like to get up there and live in it a few days.  The offer is there, just need to find the time, it's only about 250 miles away.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Delmonico

Quote from: Professor Marvel on January 14, 2011, 11:58:04 PM
My Dear Del
thanks for the further photos and commentary-
I find it interesting that the erosion to the sod bricks is virtually identical to the erosion to the local 100+ year old (unstabilized) adobe brick. Adobe, if plastered and maintained will stay solid for many many years.... Has anyone ever plastered the exterior of a soddie?

yhs
prof marvel

I went in last night and checked, with with over 3000 pictures that would be a task with out a search feature.  9 pictures of ones with stucco on them, like this one:

Picture 11059.

Either unfinished or else they done the side that was getting bad.

There were also houses made around of stacked hay bales and then stuccoed.  Saw a show on this a while back skipping channels.  The folks who made the show acted like the yuppies building it had invented something new and PC. ::)
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Stu Kettle

Quote from: Delmonico on January 16, 2011, 09:20:12 AM
There were also houses made around of stacked hay bales and then stuccoed.  Saw a show on this a while back skipping channels.  The folks who made the show acted like the yuppies building it had invented something new and PC. ::)

I read an article in the North Platte Telegraph several years ago about those same yuppies, advertising the advantage of straw bale construction.  Article claimed there are houses in England built of hand-tied bales & stucco that are still standing after more than 300 years.

Delmonico

There is a church up north of you a ways that has been around somewhere around a 100 years built that way.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Stu Kettle

Quote from: Delmonico on January 16, 2011, 11:09:29 AM
There is a church up north of you a ways that has been around somewhere around a 100 years built that way.

Whereabouts? I'd be interested in seeing that.

Delmonico

Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Stu Kettle

I driven past that church lots of times & never paid it any attention.  I suppose it had shake shingles when it was built.

Delmonico

Quote from: Stu Kettle on January 17, 2011, 09:41:54 AM
I driven past that church lots of times & never paid it any attention.  I suppose it had shake shingles when it was built.

Picture 10895, the David Shaw home near Sargent Nebraska 1889 or 1890, one can see the original sod house has been added on to:

Off to the side, the laundry room:

Close up of the family:

Some other people off to the side in a buggy:

Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Cliff Fendley

I really enjoy the photos, thanks for sharing
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com