Need help picking a holster pattern.

Started by Rayban, January 10, 2011, 06:25:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rayban

I have Will Ghormley's Pattern package for the Cheyenne style holster.
Which pattern listed will work for a Ruger .357 Blackhawk, 5 1/2"
Thanks loads!

Cliff Fendley

If there is one for an old model Vaquero it may work depending on how roomy he left it. I have specific Cheyenne patterns for the Blackhawk/SBH because the front sights are so tall and the original Cheyenne holsters I've been able to examine are very small in the toe.

Contact Will and ask him, he's the one who will know.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

The Ruger Vaquero pattern in Wills pattern pack is for the old model Vaquero and will work fine, I made several of these for Blackhawks and Super Blackhawks, and the only thing I had to do is cut a little more out at the front of the bucket to allow for the adjustable sights, as I left the toe cap off on the ones I made, my customers didn't want them and wanted the toe open so that dust dirt and debris could just fall out instead collecting in the bottom of the bucket, this is fine if you never plan on having to slide down a hill in mud or snow, but if you live in an area that is prone for mud and snow and you plan on being out in it, you might want that toe cap, if you need a little more room you can add a little more to your pattern down at the lower portion of pattern to open the toe up a little, you can use the round ball on your modeling spoon to crease a channel where the front sight will ride, this helps quite a bit in the fit dept. just dampen the leather well before you do it .

tEN wOLVES  
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Rayban

The Vaquero it is then....I knew I came to the right neighborhood to ask,....thanks so much guys!!

Cliff Fendley

I would do the toe plug, it just aint a Cheyenne holster without it ;) I've only had one person question a closed toe until they really got thinking about it and realized if you get that much dirt in your holster your guns action is going to be full of it and the dirt in the muzzle is the least of your concerns. Much bigger chance of sitting down and running something into the muzzle. When I'm hunting I wear my handgun all the time and at the end of season I'm not dumping out a bunch of dirt and leaves, any dirt in the holster has to get past the gun first.  

I might would add about an 1/8 inch to the edge of the pattern in the pouch area especially in the toe to allow for the Blackhawk taller sight if you do the plug just to be safe.

Johnson County Rangers

Rayban

Just wanted to thank you all once again, and to let you know that the new owner of this rig got it in the mail yesterday, and he reports that his Blackhawk "fits like a glove".......he's happy and so I am too! ;D

Johnny McCrae

Howdy Rayban,

He should be very happy! Great job of stamping and finishing coupled with excellent workmanship! Many thanks for sharing it with us.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Kid Terico

HI Rayban as Johnny said goes double for me. Keep it up. KT

Cliff Fendley

Johnson County Rangers

TwoWalks Baldridge

Quote from: Rayban on January 21, 2011, 06:08:59 AM

This rig is absolutely beautiful - wonderful job Rayban.  Now in the interest of helping educate folks that are new to leather working and holster making, that being myself, could you give information on the finish?  Products and colors etc!

TwoWalks Baldridge
When guns are banned, fear the man with a hammer

Rayban

Quote from: "TwoWalks" Baldridge on January 21, 2011, 09:10:43 AM
This rig is absolutely beautiful - wonderful job Rayban.  Now in the interest of helping educate folks that are new to leather working and holster making, that being myself, could you give information on the finish?  Products and colors etc!

TwoWalks Baldridge
\

Sure nuff....it's straight Feibings oil-saddle tan, and Feibings Tan Kote. The leather is 8-9oz russet skirting from Wicket&Craig.

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Rayban,you aced this one pard, it's beautiful, your stamping is spot on, and the color and finish looks fantastic, thanks for the look see. ::) :o 8) ;D

tEN wOLVES  :D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

TwoWalks Baldridge

Quote from: Rayban on January 21, 2011, 09:26:45 AM
\

Sure nuff....it's straight Feibings oil-saddle tan, and Feibings Tan Kote. The leather is 8-9oz russet skirting from Wicket&Craig.

Thanks for the reply Rayban, Living in the great state of California, we can not get the Feibings oil dye but I can get the Tan Kote.  Will look for a "Allowable" tan color.  I swear I am going to make a trip to Nevada and buy dye.

Ordered Fiebings Leathercolors dye, "allowed to be shipped to California" so I will see how well it works.

Boothill Bob

Rayban, thats a rig to be proud of, its very beautiful.
//BhB
Shoot fast and aim straight

SASS#83079 SWS#1246

Skeeter Lewis

Rayban

Quote from: "TwoWalks" Baldridge on January 21, 2011, 11:12:29 AM
Thanks for the reply Rayban, Living in the great state of California, we can not get the Feibings oil dye but I can get the Tan Kote.  Will look for a "Allowable" tan color.  I swear I am going to make a trip to Nevada and buy dye.

Ordered Fiebings Leathercolors dye, "allowed to be shipped to California" so I will see how well it works.

Something I've been doing lately....just before I dye, I spray the work down with water, get it evenly wet, then dye.
I believe I end up with a bit darker, even color.
Do a test strip when you get it in, see what ya think.

Thanks for allllllll the kind words folks. Means a lot.
Rg

Marshal Will Wingam

That's really beautiful, Rayban. It's a very balanced rig. I can see why your customer is happy. Thanks for the pics.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Drayton Calhoun

The first step of becoming a good shooter is knowing which end the bullet comes out of and being on the other end.

TwoWalks Baldridge

Quote from: Rayban on January 21, 2011, 02:12:39 PM
Something I've been doing lately....just before I dye, I spray the work down with water, get it evenly wet, then dye.
I believe I end up with a bit darker, even color.
Do a test strip when you get it in, see what ya think.

Thanks for allllllll the kind words folks. Means a lot.
Rg

Thanks for that advice, will do that for sure.  I have heard so many great reviews of the pro oil so I can only hope the leathercolors dye is just as good.

Cliff Fendley

Wetting is really helpful with the Saddle tan oil, otherwise it comes out blotchy. At least for me anyways.

Johnson County Rangers

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com