Would this rig be legal for NCOWS?

Started by slydini, January 10, 2011, 02:40:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slydini

St. George

No.

NCOWS follows an historically accurate representation of the 'real' Old West.

This rig isn't close.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

slydini

Thank you so much for the rapid response.  I didn't think it did, I just wanted to make sure.

Pancho Peacemaker

Quote from: slydini on January 10, 2011, 02:40:54 PM

Slydini,

That rigs looks like a buscadero style.  As you may know, that style of holster is a product of B Western cinema in the 20th century.  If you need a nice reference on period leather, a great general reference is "Packin' Iron":

http://www.amazon.com/Packing-Iron-Leather-Frontier-West/dp/0939549085/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1294697758&sr=8-1

That is a fantastic tome with real pictures of authentic leather from the pre 1900 "Old West" era.

NCOWS strives to recreate this era as closely as possible in all aspects of the game.  We do however give new member one year to get their gear within the bounds of our authenticity regulations.  If that holster is all you have, most NCOWS clubs would allow you to wear it at monthly matches (not at Regional or National events) for your one year grace period.

Pancho

NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life
S&W Collectors Association

"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."
-T. Roosevelt (1858 - 1919)

slydini

Thanks for the link Pancho, I'm going to get that book, it looks great!

slydini

What about this combo?

River City John

Now that's a winner! ;D

RCJ

(Actually, your first pic isn't so bad. It isn't a buscadero, as the belt is threaded through the loop formed by the holster and it's rear flap, so it sits high on the belt. The belt, with it's tapered ends, has historic counterparts.

How deeply the revolvers rest into the holster may be the only point to debate. Those modern silver-tone rivets could easily be drilled out and replaced with traditional copper rivets. ;))
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Buck Stinson

I mean no offence, but I whole heartedly disagree with River City John on his last reply regarding the "first picture".  I have collected and studied vintage gun leather (1849-1900 era) and other cowboy gear for nearly fifty years.  I have owned well over a hundred maker marked and unmarked pieces of vintage gun leather and to date, I have not seen anything of the pre-1900 period that would come close to the rig illustrated in the first photo.  You can justify it all you want, but the cut of the holster, the tooling pattern, the hammer thong and the rivets that could be changed, have nothing to do with authenticity in any way shape or form.  Certainly, I have not seen EVERY rig that was made during that period, but I can assure you that the rig in question (first photo) is not a representation of any vintage gun leather that was offered by any saddle shop on the frontier. 

Tjackstephens

Buck Stinson, I have to agree with you. Also the way the top of the leather is turned out, it could be lined. Maybe even metal. Tj
Texas Jack Stephens:   NRA, NCOWS #2312,  SASS # 12303, Hiram's Ranger #22,  GAF #641, USFA-CSS # 185, BOSS# 174,  Hartford Lodge 675, Johnson County Rangers,  Green River Gunslingers, Col. Bishop's Renegades, Kentucky Col.

Cliff Fendley

The top one is not authentic for several reasons mentioned. The bottom one does represent a Montana style late 1880's or 1890's holster. It appears to be lined and most 19th century originals werent, some saddlers offered it as an option but that is mostly seen in their catalogs after the turn of the century. It also should have a toe plug. The tear drop shaped toe plug was pretty much the standard of the Montana and Cheyenne saddlers. It's sad so many holsters today are sold without that important trait and called a Cheyenne holster, It's not really and Cheyenne or Montana holster without it IMO. Every original I've looked at had it and I've never made one without the toe plug, it just wouldn't be right ???
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Buck Stinson

Cliff is correct.  Many of the saddle makers in the northern Great Plains states/territories, used muzzle plugs in their holsters.  I think that most of the current makers who offer these holster styles, don't use a muzzle plug for two reasons.   On the production end, they are time consuming and to the novice they are difficult to fit and sew.  The example shown in the second set of photos, is a reproduction of a Moran Brothers, Miles City, Montana Territory holster (pre-1889) and it does have the correct sewn in muzzle plug.  It is also buckskin lined, which was appropriate for many holsters of the period.   E. L. Gallatin and F. A. Meanea in Cheyenne offered buckskin lining as an extra for any of their holsters.  The additional charge for this feature was 25 cents in the early 1880's.  I have several lined Meanea holsters in my collection.  I also have two beautiful hand carved Gallatin Slim Jim holsters circa 1865, both lined with turquoise colored buckskin.  These holsters also have sewn in muzzle plugs.

Sir Charles deMouton-Black

NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, "History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme."

slydini

Thanks all, I appreciate all the help. I am trying my darndest to be as accurate as possible, (given what I have to work with at the moment.)

Deadeye Don

Quote from: slydini on January 11, 2011, 05:22:27 AM
Thanks all, I appreciate all the help. I am trying my darndest to be as accurate as possible, (given what I have to work with at the moment.)

Slydini,  While I agree with the posters about that first rig pictured not being historically correct,  please do not think you would not be welcome at any NCOWS match wearing that rig to start out with.  Once you get your feet wet, you can gradually change out your gear to more period correct gear.  Nobody that I know of has started out in NCOWS with all the "right stuff".   You would be more than welcome to come to the GLFMC shoot anytime you want wearing that rig.  The main thing to do is make plans to attend a shoot.

Regards.  Deadeye.
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

slydini

Deadeye,
I wish there was a posse in MN.  I would love to attend a match.
In regards to the two rigs I posted, I actually own both.  I bought the first one when I joined SASS, (I never had time to attend a match.)  The second one was purchased when I joined NCOWS.  I love the authenticity factor of NCOWS! 
I think I have clothes that would, at least fit the first level.  My worry now is my guns.  When I joined SASS, I went a bit overboard, (clothes, guns, etc.)  I bought a matching pair of New Vaqueros that are factory engraved.  The are .45 with 5.5 length barrels.  Would these be considered historically accurate?

Deadeye Don

Quote from: slydini on January 11, 2011, 07:56:01 AM
Deadeye,
I wish there was a posse in MN.  I would love to attend a match.
In regards to the two rigs I posted, I actually own both.  I bought the first one when I joined SASS, (I never had time to attend a match.)  The second one was purchased when I joined NCOWS.  I love the authenticity factor of NCOWS! 
I think I have clothes that would, at least fit the first level.  My worry now is my guns.  When I joined SASS, I went a bit overboard, (clothes, guns, etc.)  I bought a matching pair of New Vaqueros that are factory engraved.  The are .45 with 5.5 length barrels.  Would these be considered historically accurate?

Ruger Vaqueros with standard colt grips are NCOWS legal so no worries there.
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

slydini

Pancho Peacemaker

Quote from: slydini on January 11, 2011, 05:22:27 AM

The "journey" towards a more authentic kit is half the fun.  Welcome.  Sounds like you belong here.
NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life
S&W Collectors Association

"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."
-T. Roosevelt (1858 - 1919)

slydini

J.D. Goodguy

Sly,  go to ncows.org and check out the Tally book.  You will see that the first holster would be acceptable in NCOWS unless, as RCJ said, the depth of the pistol in the holster, may rule it out.  Nothing about how correct to the period it may look.  Many in NCOWS are comfortable in the Level 1 stage of correctness.  If you want to go whole hog and surpass Level 3 then enjoy.  There is room for all under the flag, just not to the same level.  Welcome to the group.   JIM

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com