Dragoons and their holsters??

Started by Slowhand Bob, January 09, 2011, 09:15:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

santee

Man, that last fella is ready for war. I wouldn't try to jump his claim!
Historian at Old Tucson
SASS #2171
STORM #371
RATS #431
True West Maniac #1261

Slowhand Bob

And I thought tightly form fitted holsters were a modern thing!!!

Dalton Masterson

The cylinder is also a bit longer on a Walker, but that may not make much difference in holster design.

I am glad to see that pic. There was a guy berating another on the other Wire about having a molded looking holster a week or two back. I see nothing wrong with it if you like that look.
DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

Wild Billy Potts

Is it just me or is the Hall being held in the last picture held at an impossible angle to maintain for the full 5-8 seconds needed for exposure time without it moving at all? I notice there is a rack partially hidden behind the man, and studios would often have braces for people to lean against to help them stay completely motionless for the esposure time. I'm wondering if the Hall is attached to the rack to be used as a prop.

WaddWatsonEllis

1.) Molded holsters .... I have a a flapped military style holster for my Mk VI Webley that was molded by having the Webley stored in it

So there is justification for old molded holsters ...

2.) I doubt that all those pisols and knives were actually his .. most probably were photographer's props  (with thanks to Delmonico for opening my eyes about those props)
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

GunClick Rick

Quote from: David Carrico on January 10, 2011, 08:51:52 AM
Here's a picture of one of the several pair of saddle holsters I made for Jeff Bridges in "True Grit". These were for a pair of Dragoons. This was before they were aged!

Boy i'd like to have a set of those woth Jeff and Davids autograph on them,hooooweee that would be sweet..
Bunch a ole scudders!

Slowhand Bob

Rick, all things are possible with enuff money!!!  How much would you pay for some holsters if I promise that it is just a coincidence that their writing looks like mine?????   :o   ::)

David Carrico

Jeff's signature is definitely a plus, not sure mine is worth much!

PJ Hardtack

I'm a 'newbie' on the forum, but I've been around the corral for a few years ....

I've got a 70s 'Colt' 3rd Model .44 Dragoon and it's the only C&B revolver that I would stake my life on, regardless of Mattie's 'misfire' in "True Grit". Something about it inspires confidence; loaded or not!
I have a Carrico (Hi, Dave!) flap holster for it and a Mexican double loop made by a saddler out of skirting leather. I just showed him Rattenbury's "Packing Iron" and he went to work.
It would accept a Walker as well, which I no longer have. The Dragoon is a more practical arm, probably the upper limit for most folks. It's a 'two-fister' for me if I want to hit multiple targets as per CAS.
I also have a pair of David's 'Slim Jims' for my family of Remington '63 C&Bs and my wife a pair for her Ruger NM Blackhawk .44 Spl's. We get nothing but compliments.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

tomg

I made these two holsters.
One for the 1847 and the other for the 3rd model.
I used 8 ounce veg. tanned leather, stained and antiqued with easy off oven cleaner.
Then a good coat of brown shoe polish.

Slowhand Bob

Tomg, I really like that my friend.  If you could put it in a time machine  and take it back to the day, it would not look out of place at all and that is what I strive for when playing cowboy.  Sometimes we forget that the average Joe in the mid 1800s would not have been spending his poke for lots of bling and fancies, cepting perhaps on Sat night!  I have known many a carpenter and plumber who would sell their very best tools on Saturday morning to buy whiskey come sunset!  Sure wish I could get some of them tools back.   ;D

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy tomg

Slowhand Bob, echo's my thoughts, nice work, really period looking, thanks for sharing pard

Regards

tEN wOLVES  :D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

tomg

Thank you Slowhand Bob and Ten Wolves for the kind words.

santee

tomg, that looks like a good friend for that pistol!!
Historian at Old Tucson
SASS #2171
STORM #371
RATS #431
True West Maniac #1261

tomg

Thank you Santee for the kind words.
I put a tie down on the 3rd model, but it really doesnt need it.
Its a snug fit with that holster.
I like having one of the dragoons with me while out hunting with my marlin.

Drayton Calhoun

I have an old Tandy percussion holster pack that has a pattern for both a flap holster and a skirted holster for a Walker, I shortened the area for the loading plunger and the barrel to fit the Dragoon and it works pretty well. I don't believe the pack is available anymore though. I has several good holster patterns for full sized, Navy, Army and Remington, pistols. By scanning and reducing by about 30 percent or so, they also work for the pocket pistols.
The first step of becoming a good shooter is knowing which end the bullet comes out of and being on the other end.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com