Full size single action Colt (replica) in 22LR?

Started by Capt'n Jack, January 05, 2011, 04:07:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt'n Jack

Does anyone sell one?  Six shooter only.  Thanks in advance, Captn Jack
Capt'n Jack was my great great grandfather, a Captain of the Ky Cavalry in the Civil War.  He lived to a ripe old age.

Shotgun Franklin

Many years ago someone made'm. I handled one and it was very heavy. This had to be 30 years ago. I don't remember the maker but it was not USA as I recall.
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Major 2

I have not handled one , but the USFA 12 shot 22 ,  I believe is on the SA frame
when planets align...do the deal !

Don Nix

Ive got an old Hawes 22 that was built in the 60s. It ws a 44 sleeved down to a 22. It is heavy but shoots dead on still after almost 50 years of abuse. If you can find one of the old ones they are pretty cheap but good guns.

Shotgun Franklin

I might have handled a Hawes .22. You have jogged my memory a bit. I had a gun business back in the mid-70s. I did sell some Hawes SA. If I remember right, I would get a free .22 if I sold enough Hawes handguns. Never happened. I don't know of any current production full sized .22s.
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Old Doc

The Great Western replica of the fifties came in .22 and frequently turns up for sale on the auction sites. According to their website, the USFA 12/22 is on a full sized frame. They have two other.22's, both 6 shot. the Plinker and the target. They appear to be full-framed but the website does not specifically say that nor does it say they are scaled down. There is a very pretty .22 Target on Gunbroker.com right now, with case-hardened frame, for a cool 2K.

Tascosa Joe

I have a 1882 version that some clown sleved to 22.  USFA did make a 6 shot 22 on the standard frame.  I am not sure if they still catalog that item.
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

nichtmussolini

In the 1960 Sauer & Sohn in Germany made a .22 Sixshooter in full size.
Sincerely yours
Heinz

Capt'n Jack

Quote from: Old Doc on January 05, 2011, 07:54:44 PM
The Great Western replica of the fifties came in .22 and frequently turns up for sale on the auction sites. According to their website, the USFA 12/22 is on a full sized frame. They have two other.22's, both 6 shot. the Plinker and the target. They appear to be full-framed but the website does not specifically say that nor does it say they are scaled down. There is a very pretty .22 Target on Gunbroker.com right now, with case-hardened frame, for a cool 2K.

In fact, the website does state that the gun is full size with a $1150 price to match.  I am sure the gun is very nicely made but the price is more then double that of the "lesser" clones.  I do want a 22 for cheap shooting so the price makes that unlikely as does the GW guns wich are bringing a very high price.  I guess that there iis not a market for a practice gun.  So does anyone know who does conversions?
Capt'n Jack was my great great grandfather, a Captain of the Ky Cavalry in the Civil War.  He lived to a ripe old age.

Old Doc

Have you looked at the "Plinkerton" made by Chiappa and imported by Cimarron. It's cheaply made but functional and as I recall, it is full-sized. You see them at gunshows for less than $200.

Capt'n Jack

Quote from: Old Doc on January 07, 2011, 07:09:48 AM
Have you looked at the "Plinkerton" made by Chiappa and imported by Cimarron. It's cheaply made but functional and as I recall, it is full-sized. You see them at gunshows for less than $200.

Have not looked at one in person but seems the reviews would keep me away from this one.  Like Goldilocks, too much, too little.

Old Doc

Why don't you check out the Stallion from Taylors. I think Cimarron has a similar model .It is "almost" full-sized. I saw one at my dealer today, 6 shot, case-hardened, one piece walnut grips, $379. I didn't handle it but know from their catalog it is not full-sized. However, it's close enough, that I couldn't tell the difference just looking in the case.

Capt'n Jack

Quote from: Old Doc on January 08, 2011, 02:56:20 PM
Why don't you check out the Stallion from Taylors. I think Cimarron has a similar model .It is "almost" full-sized. I saw one at my dealer today, 6 shot, case-hardened, one piece walnut grips, $379. I didn't handle it but know from their catalog it is not full-sized. However, it's close enough, that I couldn't tell the difference just looking in the case.

This is half way there with a full size grip and reduced cylinder and frame size.  The price is good and the gun is at least made of steel but still not quite there.  Thanks, I will keep looking.

Doc Sunrise

USFA does make the Plinker and Target Plinker models in full size, along with 12/22.  The top right is my Plinker, the rest are 12/22's.

Old Doc

Capt'n Jack

Quote from: The Pathfinder on January 08, 2011, 07:23:23 PM
Cap'n Jack, would this link help you any?

http://www.gunrunnerauctions.com/listings/details/index.cfm?itemnum=978830025

Good luck in your search.
Thanks, and I am going to sound picky, but I have never liked nor owned a nickle plated gun.  I will however keep my eyes open for a Hawes in blue if one should exist.  Hanging in there, will keep looking.

Old Doc

Quote from: Capt'n Jack on January 12, 2011, 04:13:48 PM
Thanks, and I am going to sound picky, but I have never liked nor owned a nickle plated gun.  I will however keep my eyes open for a Hawes in blue if one should exist.  Hanging in there, will keep looking.

Saw a Hawes at a gunshow last week. $279 with those fake stag grips. If I see it again, I will get the guys card for you.

Doc Sunrise

Old Doc,

Sorry for delay in answer, I have been plowing my rear-end off.

Checked Grips were done by USFA Factory Grip maker.

Tascosa Joe

There was a nickle Hawes at the Dallas Market Hall gun show today for 299.  The nickle was peeling off of the cylinder.
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com