Sharps 50/70 Carbine

Started by Dead I, January 03, 2011, 04:04:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dead I

We've been discussing Sharps Carbines, so I thought people might like seeing mine.  As an aside, I have no documentation that this is a Sharps, it just looks like one.

Sir Charles deMouton-Black

It looks like a Sharps!

Does it talk like a Sharps? 

What do the stamps say?
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, "History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme."

Rube Burrows

Quote from: Sir Charles deMouton-Black on January 03, 2011, 06:16:02 PM
It looks like a Sharps!

Does it talk like a Sharps? 

What do the stamps say?

Think he is making a joke....about everyone wanting documents on the tintypes.
"If legal action will not work use lever action and administer the law with Winchesters" ~ Louis L'Amour

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

Mossyrock

The Sharps 50-70 conversion carbines have always been an object of lust for me.  I WILL own one...someday.... :-\
Mossyrock

"We thought about it for a long time... 'Endeavor to persevere.' And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union."

Lone Watie

Dead I

These Sharps Carbines are a pretty thing.  Here she is again:

shrapnel

They are a great rabbit gun, nothing but head shots...

I never considered myself a failure...I started out at the bottom and happen to like it here!

Dead I

Great picture thar Shrapnel!  Is that an original Sharps?  Is it in 50/70?  I used to live in Kansas and we'd shoot cotton tails and eat them.  They were a little gamey, but we got used to them.  They made great stew.  We'd deep fry them like chicken. 

Trailrider

Don't see any on the right side, but might there be any initials or names carved in the stock on the other side?  After the cavalry were issued their M1873 Trapdoor Springfields (mostly in 1874), the Sharps were turned in to the Ordnance Dept., then surplussed off, many through Bannerman's.  HOWEVER, a few were retained by various cavalry companies (later called "troops") for foraging (to supplement issue rations), and some issued to Quartermaster Dept. employees who were in the field with the troops (scouts, including Buffalo Bill were QM employees, as were teamsters, packers and other artisans).  At Sidney Barracks, Nebraska, alone, there were five Sharps Carbines, cal. .50-70 charged to Co. G, 3rd Cavalry, 1st Lt. Emmett Crawford commanding.  At least one of these apparently was issued to a young civilian teamster, who may have later bought it or "lost" it, and had the cost $15.30 deducted from his pay...though no record of such a transaction exists.  A carbine with the teamster's last name carved in the stock does exist and has been traced back to areas where he subsequently lived!  There are other records showing the "loss" of other types of .50-70 guns by civilian teamsters and packers of the Big Horn & Yellowstone Expedition of 1876, under Gen. Crook.  There were 50,000 rounds of .50-70 Gov't ammo at Sidney, alone!

Your Sharps still has the Lawrence pellet primer resevoir and parts on the lockplate, though the link to cam from the hammer was removed when the carbine was converted from percussion to metallic cartridge.
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Dead I

There is hardly a mark on the wood of this Sharps.  The inspectors mark on the left side just above the bar that olds the ring is visable, but it's hard to read.  I think the weapon was sanded some when it was changed from percussion to cartridge.  It's a shame that the bore is as rough as it is.  The rifling is sharp, but the bore is rusted.  I think it was shot once or twice and never cleaned.  I haven't hit the bore hard with a brush, but I'm going to have to do it.  I've only shot it once and that was years ago and I used a too small bullet.  I think with the right bullet it'd shoot fine.  It's one of my resolutions to buy 50/70 ammo makings and shoot it this year.

I've been wondering if I should reline the bore.  Then the little gun would be essentially like new, except for the dim case colors.

shrapnel

Quote from: Dead I on January 06, 2011, 11:17:48 AM
Great picture thar Shrapnel!  Is that an original Sharps?  Is it in 50/70?  I used to live in Kansas and we'd shoot cotton tails and eat them.  They were a little gamey, but we got used to them.  They made great stew.  We'd deep fry them like chicken. 

It is an original Sharps conversion to 50-70. Cottontails are great table fare, these aren't gamey, can't say the same for Jack Rabbits.
I never considered myself a failure...I started out at the bottom and happen to like it here!

Dead I

Quote from: shrapnel on January 06, 2011, 09:07:49 PM
It is an original Sharps conversion to 50-70. Cottontails are great table fare, these aren't gamey, can't say the same for Jack Rabbits.
I never ate a Jack.  We used to have scads of them however in Western Kansas.  None now however.  Why?  We used to shoot prairie dogs like mad. Never could shoot a prairie dog town out of prairie dogs.  I was told that they are pretty good eat'n too.  Never could bring myself to do it however.  I guess I wasn't hungry enough.

That's a pretty rifle!

shrapnel

The carbine is in really fine shape with plenty of original bluing and some color/case still visible. The bore is bright and shoots great.

A few more pictures...

Dead I

Isn't she a beauty!  My Sharps 50/70 looks about like yours, but as I said the bore in mine is rough.  I'm going to really give it a good scrubbing. If it doesn't clean up I think I'll have it relined.  My cartouch at the saddle ring is like yours, but I don't see the one on the stock. 

Nice pictures!  Thanks.  I've got a percussion rifle too.  No colors and only one trigger so it's probably not a Berdan gun, but the bore is mint and it shoots great.  I wish I had the bayonet.  It took a sword bayonet with a brass handle, it's really dress the rifle.  It's a three band musket. I'll have to post some picks. The rifle has a patch box, which is right. 

Fox Creek Kid

Quote from: Dead I on January 07, 2011, 04:49:48 PM...as I said the bore in mine is rough.  I'm going to really give it a good scrubbing. If it doesn't clean up I think I'll have it relined...

If you decide to reline I cannot recommend Larry Romano enough.

http://www.romanorifle.com/

He lined one for me and he can do any twist you want but he recommends the 1 in 32" ROT for the 50-70 and he is correct as mine shoots like a house of fire. Cheap he is not, but his work is unsurpassed.

Dead I

Thanks Fox Creek.  What state is this fellow in?  Will he do it for say $500? I'd rather leave the bore original, if it works.  But these old Sharps rifles shoot so well that I'll reline it if I must.  Thanks for the headsup.

Fox Creek Kid

Dead I, did you look at the website?  ;)  Call him for a quote.

Dead I

Quote from: Fox Creek Kid on January 07, 2011, 10:28:46 PM
Dead I, did you look at the website?  ;)  Call him for a quote.

Thanks, I looked back.  I'll call him next week sometime.  Again thanks for the headsup.

Trailrider

Quote from: Dead I on January 07, 2011, 04:49:48 PM
Isn't she a beauty!  My Sharps 50/70 looks about like yours, but as I said the bore in mine is rough.  I'm going to really give it a good scrubbing. If it doesn't clean up I think I'll have it relined.  My cartouch at the saddle ring is like yours, but I don't see the one on the stock. 

Nice pictures!  Thanks.  I've got a percussion rifle too.  No colors and only one trigger so it's probably not a Berdan gun, but the bore is mint and it shoots great.  I wish I had the bayonet.  It took a sword bayonet with a brass handle, it's really dress the rifle.  It's a three band musket. I'll have to post some picks. The rifle has a patch box, which is right. 

One thing I've found about what appears to be very rough bores in black powder arms, is that sometimes it isn't pitting in the steel, but rather deposits of lumps of lead.  In those instances, a very thorough scrubbing, sometimes with lead bore cleaner and #0000 steel wool wrapped around a bore brush, can remove these lumps.  No, the steel wool doesn't damage the barrel if you don't overdo it.  But it will often get rid of lumps of lead that look like pits.  Couldn't hurt to try it...
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Dead I

I've tried that technique before, steel wool wrapped around a bore brush.  There are what looks like lumps of something in the bore.  Maybe it is lead.  The bore does look terrible.  Not worn, just real gunky.

I want to shoot the 50/70 round and I have only one gun in that caliber, the little Sharps carbine.  If they made a replica Allen trapdoor, which were mostly made in 50/70 I'd buy one of those.  (I think some were .58 caliber rim fires.)

Dead I

Hey Shrapnel !  Do you own those Sharps rifles?  Are the all originals?  Even if replicas they look like a very nice collection of Sharps Rifles. I own one replica, the Axtell 1877.  It's a nice looking rifle, very pretty actually.  I don't read much about them, I guess they competed tooth and nail with Shiloh Arms which is doing great.  I don't think the Axtell people are and I read that they are for sale.  However my Axtell loos great.

We'll have to start a thread on Sharps rifles of all kinds.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com