SUEDE MONEY BELT FOR JOHN WAYNE RIG ?

Started by Django, December 27, 2010, 05:37:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Django

Hi , i've been asked to make a copy of the John wayne rig and was wondering what weight of suede(if it is suede i need) to make the money belt.

I was thinking of 8-9 Oz veg tan for the main holster lined with 4-5 Oz veg tan How does that sound to you?

Thanks.
Django
I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING AND STILL HAVE MOST OF IT LEFT
Website http://www.savoirfaire-jazz.co.uk/index.html

FEATHERS

G'Day Django,I have a book on the Duke,it lists John Bianchi as one of the holster makers he used,FYI www.frontiergunleather.com .Hope this is of some help & Merry Christmas Feathers

Holden A. Grudge

I always thought it was rough out not suede but then again I can't say as I know the difference.

Django

Thanks Feathers and Grudge, i just checked the Bianchi site and it was rough out!

"Model 100 is made like the originals John Bianchi made for the all-time greatest western film star to wear in countless classic western films. Made from 2.75" wide, straight cut, rough-out, mellow tanned cream colored cowhide, folded and saddle stitched with 30 cartridge loops."

Any idea what "mellow tanned" means?
Could i use normal veg tan...if so what weight do you use for a money belt?

Thanks

Django

Cliff Fendley

I like around 4 oz for money belts.

When you cut the belt, double the width you want the belt and add about an 1/8 to allow where it folds and you'll come out about right.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

JD Alan

I would say "mellow tanned" is an advertizing blurb. You need a pretty supple piece of veg tan to make a comfortalbe money belt. It just depends on the specific leather. I have some 3/4 and 4/5 that I've used for lining that would be terrible for a money belt; it's too stiff IMO. Good luck.       
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

bedbugbilly

An interesting thread - but then - I like anything associated with the "Duke"!   :)

The fact that the belt was made "rough side out" got me to thinking - I don't know if I've ever seen an "original" like that unless I've missed it in "Packing Iron" or similar book.  I have seen such things as Civil War brogans made that way - repros and originals.  I think the concept is interesting and it would be very simplistic and visually attractive - again, my personal opinion. 

I'm getting ready to make a cartridge/holster belt and I kind of like the idea of using the rough side out.  Actually, I have plans to make two belts.  The first one I cut out the other day - 2.75" wide out of thicker leather that will then be lined.  The second one I came across a reall nice side that is supple and the thickness will work great for a "money belt" style.  At any rate - now I'm wondering about using the rough side out.  The leather I have is a nice natural shade - what, if anything, woud be best to finish it with?  an oil finish such as Olive Oil or similar - what about dying it - (I've been using Tandy's gel flow antique tan which I'm afraid would "harden" the rough surface - or would you just leave it unfinished? (and let time dirty it up and add character to it?  What about the cartridge loops?  Rough side out or hair side out to add contrast?

And . . . . if the cartridge/holster belt were made that way . . . . why not a holster to go with it with the rough side out?  It, too, would not be overly "decorated" but very simplistic the same as the belt.  I suppose it could be dressed up with spots, etc.  I'm really liking the idea of both but am just questioning what would be best to use for a finish, if anything?  Thanks!

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

bedbugbilly , you can use Lexoil Conditioner to soften the leather, and then a coat of either EVOO or Neatsfoot oil, but nothing else, on the flesh side ( rough out side ) you'll need to finish all your belt pieces, Chaff/Billet/Bullet Loop leather, before you sew them on.

tEN wOLVES
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Django

Hi Bedbugbilly , check ou the pic i posted of the duke wearing his rig, the loops are face side and dyed.
Django

Curley Cole

Here is a shot of Old Top's "roughside out" rig. Made for a Schofield, but here he has his "homemade" Alchmestia in it.

Hope ya like it
curley
Scars are tatoos with better stories.
The Cowboys
Silver Queen Mine Regulators
dammit gang

bedbugbilly

Django - thanks very much!  I blew that photo up and was thinking that it looked like the cartridge loops were "hair side" out.  It makes a nice contrast.  My problem is, I think too much about the different ways that something could be done and come up with so many ideas, I don't know if I'll ever live long enough to make all of the combinaqtions I'd like to!   ;D

Curly - that's a nice looking outfit for sure!  Although I don't really want to call the "rough side out" a "suede", although I suppose it sort of is depending upon a person's interpretation, and even though it is finished in some sort of oil (I'm guessing) . . . after shooting BP revolvers, etc. for years, I know how messy they can be with fouling, lube, etc.  I have to imagine that a fine outfit like this, after being used for a while (especially with BP) . . . . it takes on a nice "used patina" and "character" as the fouling gets worked in to the leather either from gun transfer or a person's hands???  I've fooled around some with "aging" holsters and hunting bags.  I'm guessing that the rig you have pictured hasn't been used that much?  I'd love it if someone could post a photo of a holster like this (or similar) after it has seen extended use in shooting matches and had some good old black powder fouling/grease worked in to it.  Thank you for posting the photo as it gives me a good idea of what a rough side out holster will look like and some ideas of the possibility of adding some "trim" to dress it up a little to make it a little bit different.   :)

Sir Charles deMouton-Black

Several years ago, in an antique shop near Las Cruces NM, I came across an EL PASO SADDLERY belt I was told was a John Wayne model.  The leather looked like the kind used to make blacksmiths aprons, sort of gray and rough.  I didn't take a good look as I wasn't interested in it due to poor condition.

That one doesn't seem to be currently stocked;

http://www.epsaddlery.com/pc-50-31-1-moneybelt.aspx
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, "History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme."

Boothill Bob

Quote from: Sir Charles deMouton-Black on December 31, 2010, 03:31:13 PM
Several years ago, in an antique shop near Las Cruces NM, I came across an EL PASO SADDLERY belt I was told was a John Wayne model.  The leather looked like the kind used to make blacksmiths aprons, sort of gray and rough.  I didn't take a good look as I wasn't interested in it due to poor condition.

That one doesn't seem to be currently stocked;

http://www.epsaddlery.com/pc-50-31-1-moneybelt.aspx

If I understand you correctly, I can believe that if you use chrome tanned leather, you get the gray
and rough color
//BhB
Shoot fast and aim straight

SASS#83079 SWS#1246

Sir Charles deMouton-Black

Boothill Bob;  The colour depends on the dye.  What I saw was undyed gray.  Here is a link to a similar product, but brown;

http://www.crazycrow.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=CCTP&Product_Code=1610-262-178&Category_Code=545-300-000

There is an older thread on money belts somewhere.  In PACKING IRON, page 179 there is a Moran Brothers money belt in "pebble grained" russet leather. Boot makers use this finish for best quality outdoor shoes/boots and luxury handbags and kindle covers.

http://leathercraftleather.com/chap-leather/zora-whole-chap-leather-hide/

These links are just to illustrate my thoughts, not an endorsement of the vendors.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, "History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme."

Curley Cole

here are my Duke rigs from El Paso Saddlery. The left one is about 29 years old. The right one  is about 22 years old and when they made it for me (it was cuz my first duke got too small...) It came back with a dark reddish roughout moneybelt. I had to send it back and they had to look for the correct cream colored material. He said he found some under a work bench.

these are great rigs and will last a life time

BBB
Yes that rig of Old Tops was fairly new in that shot. It is wearing in nicely and when He got the first bit of dirt on it I about crapped since I arranged the making of that rig, then I saw a pix of what Eastwoods Man with no name rig looked like. It was almost black and well worn...We will keep you posted on the "aging process" hehehe(also here is a pix of mroe recent showing some of tops rig aging..

curley
Scars are tatoos with better stories.
The Cowboys
Silver Queen Mine Regulators
dammit gang

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com