Cartridge Belt - any reason I shouldn't do it this way?

Started by bedbugbilly, December 18, 2010, 03:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bedbugbilly

To start with, I've read the sticky on cartridge loops.  I'm going to make a cartridge/holster belt for a loop holster. I don't shoot competition - just strictly targets and viscious dead pop cans.  I want to make it three inches wide and tapered on both ends for a 1 1/2" brass Masonic belt buckle I have.  The leather I have is approx. 8 oz.  I have a 3/4" slot punch and I'd like to make a wood "gauge" to insure proper spacing of slots and 90 degree angle to belt edge.  I'm planning on 24 loops which means 24 slots.  Then I have some approx. 4 oz. leather that I'm going to cut into a long strip, 11/16" wide for the cartridge loops.  This will be threaded in and out of the slots.  I'll sew one end to the belt and then start the first loop in the first slot.  I'll put a 38 spl. cartridge in the loop, pull the strip tight and put a spot of contact cement on the flesh side of the belt and the portion of the loop strip and glue the strip to the belt on the backside between the slots.  I'll repeat this for all of the looops and then sew the end of the strip as I did the beginning.  Then I'll go back and put about three stitches between each loop so that if the contact cement ever "gives", the loops will hold their position.  After that is done, I'm going to glue a "liner" of the same 4 oz leather as a liner on the inside of the belt and then stitch around all the edges of the liner.  I've seen belts constructed in this manner - my question is, am I missing any "shortcomings" in constructing it this way?  I did a quick sample on some scraps and it looks like it will work out O.K. I'm thinking that with a "liner" on the inside of the belt over the loop leather, it will be smooth enough to be comfortable to wear.  I'm attaching a couple of photos to show the method I'm talking about (done on scrap leather).  Any comments, pro or con would be appreciated!  Thanks!    :)

Sir Charles deMouton-Black

Thats how you do it.  You can close up the spacing until the loaded loops touch.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, "History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme."

bedbugbilly

Thanks Sir Charles - appreciate it.  I spaced them out on my sample so it would be easier to see what I was going to do.  I figured that there were several ways to do the loops but this one made the most sense to me as it seems pretty simple.  I have a couple of holsters to get finished up and then I want to get started on this.  Once I get going, I'll post some photos along the way.

Ned Buckshot

I use essentially the same method except I use 2 slots for every cartridge. I feel it holds the bullet tighter against the belt.

I also go all the way through the lining with the loop material and press it flat against the belt and havn't had any complaints of dicomfort in the many years I've done it this way.

Ned
Ned Buckshot

SASS# 2901   nedbuckshot@gmail.com

SEE MY ADS IN CAS CITY CLASSIFIEDS

Cliff Fendley

I prefer using the two slots per cartridge on the 22 because it works better. The others work well either way.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Slowhand Bob

Just a thought or two on what you have in this example.  I have seen some who actually like the loops seperated as you have shown, they use the in-between space for adding rivets to lock the individual loops in place while looking like bling.  With that in mind, others would prefer leaving the attachment devices out as a way to allow someone to tighten up on woven loops over the years.  With that said I always prefered sewing for the clean look on the backside of the belt.  Cartridge loops and belt liners shore added up to a lot of hand stitches over the years and afforded tv time while claiming I was working!!!! 

bedbugbilly

Thanks for the great tips and advice fellas - it truly is appreciated greatly!  Gives me a couple of more things to think about as I start this project.  Of course I'm sure I'll be making more than one belt- I'm never satisfied and trying to improve on techniques - that's what makes this so much fun!  Thanks again!   :)

Ned Buckshot

Take my Fathers wisdom:  the moment you think you've got a skill down with no need to improve then it's time to move on to something else!
Ned Buckshot

SASS# 2901   nedbuckshot@gmail.com

SEE MY ADS IN CAS CITY CLASSIFIEDS

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com