Information request on the Evans.

Started by Caleb Hobbs, December 17, 2010, 12:45:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caleb Hobbs

After rereading the posts on the EORI thread several times, I'd like to ask a few more questions from someone with experience with these firearms. It's stated that the lever in front of the Evans trigger guard/cocking lever is actually the hammer on the new models, but I don't see that mechanism on the Old Model Evans. I was told by someone who owned an Evans that it was a hammerless gun.

Also, what about the safety? I do see a flat lever in front of the trigger guard/cocking lever on the Old Model. Is that the hammer, the safety, both, neither?

Basically, I'm curious to know more about how these firearms worked -- not to rehash the great information already covered here, but some additional info -- how to "unlock" the safety, how to uncock the hammer, etc. Any new information would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Forty Rod

It WAS an 'underhammer' gun, but I don't recall what it looked like.  Someone here will know.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Herbert

I have no experince with the old modle Evans but from patent drawings the flat peice you are refering to is the hammer,it has no safty catch.On the NM the safty catch is the rounded nob at the botom of the leaver and is engauged in a slot in the hammer when it is slitly pulled back,it allso locks the leaver closed so if you want to cycle the action yo have to disenguage the safty by pushing it forward,you will clearly see the safty slot in the hammer when the hammer is at full cock,to uncock the hammer you youse the same method as to uncock any under hammer gun,just put pressure on the hammer pull the triger and at the same time ease the hammer to rest if there is a cartridge in the chamber slitly pull back the hammer and enguage the safty

Trailrider

Quote from: Forty Rod on December 17, 2010, 02:26:39 PM
It WAS an 'underhammer' gun, but I don't recall what it looked like.  Someone here will know.

I have handled an Old Model Evans, but don't have any pictures at present.  The Old Model is indeed an underhammer.  When uncocked, the only evidence of the underhammer is the flat thumbpiece projecting to the right side of the lever.  It can be cocked manually, but normally will cock on lowering the lever, like an upside-down Winchester.  There is no safety per-se, though I recall seeing a halfcock notch, but it wasn't working, probably broken off.  You might check the book "Gunsmiths of Maine", which deals at length on the Evans brothers and their guns.

Hope this helps.
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Caleb Hobbs

Thanks, everyone. I had some incorrect information, but I get it now.

FWIW, I looked all over the Internet for this information, and the best resources I found were either already here, or linked to from this site.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com