You won't believe this!

Started by Harley Starr, December 15, 2010, 11:37:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StrawHat

I started to say something about it being a parts gun but realized most of what I shoot are franken guns assembled from what I like, so I find it interesting to realize others thought like me.

I have not yet merged an 1860 with a Model P but may do so now that I see someone has blazed the trail.

Thanks for the link.
Knowledge is to be shared not hoarded.

Harley Starr

Quote from: StrawHat on December 16, 2010, 05:50:31 AM
I started to say something about it being a parts gun but realized most of what I shoot are franken guns assembled from what I like, so I find it interesting to realize others thought like me.

I have not yet merged an 1860 with a Model P but may do so now that I see someone has blazed the trail.

Thanks for the link.

My pleasure, StrawHat. ;D
A work in progress.

Goody

Maybe I am too critical, but I see some flaws. The cylinder and hammer look to be replacements. Possible the barrel, I'm not sure that it should be marked 45 Colt on the side. There are no patent lines on the frame, and I think the ejector rod should be bullseye? All in all I would say that the opening bid is a little strong, and would be about the max that should be paid. Without the ivories I would put the value around 1000-1200.

Pettifogger

Looks neat and the back strap, trigger guard and grips look like they were done many years ago.  The barrel and cylinder are newer and the hammer is out of a smokeless gun, 2nd or 3rd Gen.  If the entire gun had the same patina as the grips and frame, it would be a neat period piece.

Shotgun Franklin

Say 13 to 16 years ago there were several rebuilt guns floating around San Antonio. There used to be a local 'smith who took the parts from many SAAs that were worn out and put'm together. I nearly bought one myself. I think it's ok if you take guns that don't have collector value and make'm good shooters. Just don't try to pass'm off as vintage. If you have a really old rebuilt gun hopefully you have documentation to back it up.
With this gun it would be nice to know when the gun was put together. It's value hangs on when it was done.
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Hangtown Frye

That's pretty cool.  For a while I had an original 1860 Army, and pulled the trigger-guard and backstrap off and replaced the one's on my 7½" SAA occasionally.  They of course interchanged perfectly, and it's an interesting sensation to have the longer Army grip on the SAA.  Feels quite nice, in fact.  "One of these days" I might do that with a clone, just for the heck of it!

Cheers!

Gordon

Danny Bear Claw

SAA with an 1860 Army grip frame?  .... umm....  Alchemista.    ::)
SASS #5273 Life.   NRA Life member.  RATS # 136.   "We gladly feast on those who would subdue us".

Rebel Dave

Yes DBC
EMF has the Alchemista. I have been thinking of one of these myself, as my mits are a tad large, and the 60 gripframes are nice to hold.

Reel Dave      aka     Dave C.

Danny Bear Claw

I like the '60 grip myself.  I have slightly larger hands myself.  That's why I prefer the old model Vaqueros too.   8)
SASS #5273 Life.   NRA Life member.  RATS # 136.   "We gladly feast on those who would subdue us".

Tascosa Joe

Colt built one SA with the 1860 style grip cir. 1893.  To the best of my memory the grip strap was iron. It was in .38 LC and was built for a man named Fitzgerald.  I believe he was the Colt Plant Superintendent.  He was a target shooter.  I do not have my book with me, but this information was taken from David Brown's 36 Calibers of Colt.
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com