SxS appropriate for early/mid 1860s?

Started by Mad_Dog, December 15, 2010, 01:49:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mad_Dog

Hey guys.  Are there any readily available (or at least reasonably so) SxS shotguns that would be appropriate for an impression based in the early to mid 1860's?  Something that would go well with a '58 Remington (though I've heard taht the pietta replica is really a "new model army" that may not have come out until the early 1860's?), and either an 1866 "Improved Henry" or a Spencer from the first half of the decade.  I'm not in the market, but just whiling away the winter dreaming of what I might eventually like... won't be able to make it to a match until next month at which point my entire outlook might change, but this is where I'm looking at the moment :).

-Mad Dog

Major 2

Most common would be Percussion....I believe the English Purdy had shot shell model as early as 66
And there was pin fire model in Belgium about then.

I know where a replic percussion coach gun is for sale....not mine

when planets align...do the deal !

Shotgun Franklin

Dixie used to market a nice little coach gun.
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Major 2

I think the one I know , is a Dixie... I believe it's unfired as well :-\

Correction >

in light of Rickk' Dixie link... The coach gun I mention is not the Pedrosoli...it was from Dixie however something they offered
in the early 90's ...

Driftwood Johnson

Howdy

Probably the most common shotguns of the 1860s would have been percussion. However, SASS rules clearly state that all side-by-side, single shot, and lever action shotguns must be centerfire of at least 20 gauge and no larger the 10 gauge. Unfortunately, that means no percussion shotguns.

Now here is an interesting shotgun that I never saw before. It was made by the Roper Repeating Rifle Co of Amherst, Mass. Not too far from where I live. It was a four shot revolving shotgun made in 1866. I have not been able to find out any details about it except they were not commercially successful.

That's bad business! How long do you think I'd stay in operation if it cost me money every time I pulled a job? If he'd pay me that much to stop robbing him, I'd stop robbing him.

Ya probably inherited every penny ya got!

Forty Rod

Roper lasted about 10 years altogether, about 1867 t0 1877 or so, in 12 and 16 gauges with 5 shot cylinders, and a .41 caliber 6shot rifle / carbine

They used a reloadable steel 'cartridge' that was made in two types.  The earliest used a percussion cap while the later ones used a primer.

All Roper shotguns came with a variable choke at the muzzle.  They were a single action system with the longest hammer throw you can imagine.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

rickk

Driftwood, you leave near Amherst?

Howdy neighbor.... I live down the road about 15 minutes south of exit 3 of the Mass TaxPike.

Abilene

That Roper is one coool looking shotgun!  Hey Pedersoli, need a new project?  :D

Driftwood Johnson

rickk

Well, no, I don't live as close to Amherst as you do. I live right next to Lowell, near Route 3. But not all that far either.
That's bad business! How long do you think I'd stay in operation if it cost me money every time I pulled a job? If he'd pay me that much to stop robbing him, I'd stop robbing him.

Mad_Dog

Thanks, guys!  That Roper repeater is pretty sweet...  Were any of those english or belgium guns imported to the US at that time?  The vast majority of the external hammered shell-firing repro's seem to be of a 78 colt, which is a bit late for my intended portrayal :(

On the SASS/percussion front -- there are two CAS outfits within a reasonable drive of my home, unfortunately the closer one (SASS) plays on sunday mornings, which doesn't work well for me... The further one (NCOWS) plays on saturdays though, so that's probably the one I'll check out first.  I do believe that NCOWS allows for percussion shotguns (and might even require them for the pistoleer class?), so that may be an option down the line...

I've got an old Iver Johnson single shot 12ga that should be legal for SASS, but eventually I will want a higher fidelity impression than "generic cowboy" with whatever guns i can cobble together :).  The latter will certainly suffice to get started though!

-Mad Dog

Major 2

We have a member here that wishes to set his impression Circa 1860-66
so he too wants the Pecussion ..( I sent him link to Dixie thank's Rickk )
He wants full 28 barrels as well.
We are an NCOWs posse' and we will allow the Muzzle loader he will have to cap in on the clock
and there will be no reload for percussions needed.

I use a 78 Colt Hammer gun myself ( TTn) but I may just tackle a Percussion my own self  

Modoc

I don't know if it is early enough, but I have a Remington Rolling block forager's shotgun in 20ga that is in need of a stock.  I had planned on using it in Plainsman with a pair of "61" Remmys (Patented 1858) and my Rolling Block 40-64, but that idea has gone to the way-side :-\
PM if interested, I am going to try and put it up on the boards soon.
Modoc

"He Who Laughs Last, Thinks Fastest"
SUDDS, SCORRS, Retired Warthog, Sometime Gunfighter, and Soot Deliante

WaddWatsonEllis

Hi,

I ran into this percussion shotgun while surfing the Pedersoli website .... it says it is percussion, and that Wyatt Earpe had one ....but it sure looks like a mule eared external hammer standard shtogun to me ....

http://davide-pedersoli.com/?item=ArmiCategoriaDettaglio&CategoriaId=305&Articolo=S.707&lang=en
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Driftwood Johnson

QuoteI ran into this percussion shotgun while surfing the Pedersoli website .... it says it is percussion, and that Wyatt Earpe had one ....but it sure looks like a mule eared external hammer standard shtogun to me ....

Howdy

Absolutely, that is a cartridge gun. You can clearly see the unlatching lever behind the breech, and the dividing line where the barrels end and the frame begins. The text even talks about how easy it is to open. Ya don't open a percussion shotgun. Dunno why they are calling it percussion.

WaddWatsonEllis

I  bought a Pedersoli Scout used and was looking at BP supplies (cheap ...*S*), and I ran into this website:

http://muzzleloadingandmore.com/

Owned by a SASS Member, if anyone is in need of BP supplies, this site might be worth perusing.

And if there is a percussion muzzle loader SXS shotgun available, he would know about it and probably be able to fet it for you .... I kept meaning to write him about it and never got roundtuit .... *S*

BTW, for anyone starting out in leathers, you could do workse than order the Bridger Bag Kit.  It sells for far less than buying a possibles bag from other places, but contains precut leather artificial ___ for sewing ... it even comes with the needles! Plus the sewing holes are all punched ... an awl if not even needed!

BTW; here is a pic of the bag from the site ....Mine will go with the Pedersoli under the tree ... so I probably won't start on it until after New Years ... so I will be able to five a little more info on it then ... but for now it seems like an estension of that wallet we all made in came... the holses all precut for the lacing/sewing ...

http://muzzleloadingandmore.com/products/accessories/possible_bags/bridger_bag_kit.htm
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

NCOWS #3403

WaddWatsonEllis

Rereading this, I think it sounds just shy of a commercial...just ...

I believe that if one of us gives good service (which he already has; emails I sent before I bought anything were returned within 24 Hour ... 72 on a weekend ... Nice!). Then if he has good prices, well, I just think he should be supported ... pls, since he is in Orygun, shipping to us left coast people is pretty rapid ...

NCOWS #3403

WaddWatsonEllis

I sent off an email to Muzzleloading and More about a percussion shotgun ...

I took off his and my names, and here is the gist of the email I got back:

THERE ARE A FEW OLD SHOT GUNS FLOATING AROUND...SOME WORTHY OF SHOOTING , SOME NOT.
ONLY ABOUT 2 OR 3 COMPANIES STILL PRODUCE A REPLICA..
THE BEST IS APPROX. $895.00   A NEW 12 GUAGE SIDE BY SIDE ONE BARREL FULL & ONE MODIFIED.   I SELL SEVERAL  ( 3 OR 4 OF THESE EVERY YEAR.  THESE UNITS ARE PERCUSSION WITH HAMMERS.

NOT TO SURE ABOUT THE 1860'S ERA....

I think that getting a shotgun that historically relevent would not be a problem of if it was still in use as much as whether it had been invented yet ... in fact, Wild Bill Hiclock carried his '51 Colt Navy's until his untimely demise in 1876  ... on another thread in here, it was stated that many cap and ball weapons were still in use into the 20 century ... so, since the entire Civil War (or War of the Northern Aggression as the lower half of the US may refer to it) was fought more or less entirely with percussion weapons, I think you would be save with an 1860 shotgun ...

NCOWS #3403

Major 2

To add credence...In doing my research for my next installment on Cracker Cow Hunters of Florida for the NCOWS Shootest..
(yes it's back  :))
I have run across a report, of a capture of cache' of Double Shotguns being shipped to the 1st Battalion of Special Cavalry..also known as the Cow Cavalry.

Dr. Bob

Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk