Belt 'Brake' on Loop Holsters

Started by WaddWatsonEllis, December 13, 2010, 11:57:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WaddWatsonEllis

I was having a problem with the holster moving around on the belt and pulling the loop up when drawing, and Ten Wolves gave me this great suggestion ....

Take two thicknesses of the leather that you  used for the holster. The bottom one should be about half the width of the top one and be about an inch less than the holster width (so it does not show). Then the shole thing is riveted or Chicago Screwed to the back flap of the holsters so that the widest piece is on the 'outside' and the thinner piece just touches the belt.

The contraption keeps the holster from moving on the belt, and keeps the back loop from rising up during a draw ....

My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

StrawHat

Thanks for the idea.  Beats gaining weight to hold things in place.
Knowledge is to be shared not hoarded.

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Wad, glad you gave it a try pard, I know the belt lock will solve your problem, and like I was saying, I like to do this with all my over the belt loop holsters, it secures the holster to the belt but will still allow you to move it if necessary, nothing worse in my eyes to have your holster rise up off the belt when your gun is drawn or move all over the place while wearing throughout the day. ::) ??? :o 8)

tEN wOLVES  :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Kid Terico

WWE looks good. TW glad to see someone besides me is using your idea. KT

WaddWatsonEllis

Thanks Ten Wolves; the idea worked great!

I put the idea out on here to help any newbies like me who had not heard of it ... and it is such a simple and elegant solution to a common problem .....

Here is how the whole thing turned out  ... and by making the 'brakes' 1/2" shorter than the holster loops, no one even knows they are there ....

My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

NCOWS #3403

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

My pleasure Wad, nice way to finish off your beautiful rig, well done pard. ::) :o ;D

tEN wOLVES :D ;D

ps I'm happy you like the lock to KT ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

JD Alan

I'm using it too, and have been for a year or so. I've tried the "pinch" method but I've decided I like this other method better.

Skip, your rig looks real good!
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

LoneRider

Old Trick/design, Been using it for 8 years, so does Kirkpatrick. ;D
Happy Trails

outrider

I have been using this for many years...in fact I seem to remember putting up some photos of this method a year or so ago.

Always good to rehash ideas...to help out those who have joined the forum.
Outrider  (formerly "Dusty Dick" out of PA.)
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

WaddWatsonEllis

Thanks to all who have responded ... it really turned out beyond my expectations ... now if I could just learn how to sew so that it looks like other than a first grader on drugs did it ... LOL

And Outrider, that is why I put this on here .... I know that there has to be more than one newbie scratching his head, trying to figure out how to 'fix' this problem ...

NCOWS #3403

Shotgun Franklin

Hmmmm, I learned years ago that if I put a stitch in the holster from the body of the holster into the flap behind the belt it would hold the holster where I wanted it. The holsters I'm using now were done about 10 or 11 years ago and are still holding.
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

WaddWatsonEllis

Hi,

I was taking a pic to show the notch in the holster designed to prevent accidental release of the topbrake , and when I took the pic it actually shows the brakes in silhouette ...

NCOWS #3403

JD Alan

I know I've been seeing this device since I've been on the forum, but for me 10 Wolves has done the most to explain it.

There isn't space here to say how many of you guys have been such a great help, but basically every regular on this forum shares their skill with the rest of us.

You guys are AWESOME
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

WaddWatsonEllis

Amen,

JD, that is so true! I have lived with everyone who was 'birthing' a leather product ... and learned alot without having to make the error myself ...

In fact, I have had several people question whether it was actually my first leather project ... although I answered yes, a more correct answer would have been a 'no' ... 'cause I have walked through every project that was on this forum.

BTW, for you blackpowder fans, my next project is going to be a possibles bag in kit form from 'October Country' ... the kit comes with holes already made for lacing, thread and needles ...

http://muzzleloadingandmore.com/products/accessories/possible_bags/bridger_bag_kit.htm

I have ordered enough matching leather to add a sewn on sheath for a patch knife on the aft face of the bag ... and will probably get a half inch longer blade knife for my Schofield 'Johnny Ringo' rig and use the knife that is presently on the rig for a patch knife ...

The kit is from a company called 'Muzzleloaders and More' ... is owned by a SASS member, and is really fun to go through his catalog ...

NCOWS #3403

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com