Wide Taper Belt

Started by JD Alan, December 09, 2010, 11:11:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JD Alan

It might sound like an odd question, but how wide of a taper belt do people make? I've made what I consider a normal taper belt of 2 & 1/2 inch tapered down to 1 1/2 inch. Its easy to find 1 1/2 inch buckles, but how about a 3 inch wide belt? How would it look and function to taper it down to 1 & 1/2 inch? I've not seen 2 inch buckles any where.

I have someone interested in a 3 inch gun belt, and wondering if it can be tapered. What say you experienced guys?

Thanks very much, JD     
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

Kid Terico

JD looks real nice with 1-1/2 . Do it all the tine. KT

Ned Buckshot

The taper does work just fine but I prefer to do a Ranger style belt if it's going to be that wide.

Ned
Ned Buckshot

SASS# 2901   nedbuckshot@gmail.com

SEE MY ADS IN CAS CITY CLASSIFIEDS

David Carrico

J.D.
I don't really think there is a right or wrong on widths. Mostly taper down to the size of the buckle you have or can find. You might also consider a 2" roller buckle. There are some brass ones out there, but you could find a chrome plated steel one, burn the chrome off and paint it black, blue it, or leave it plain steel. I made Matt Damon's belt for True Grit with such a buckle, I'll have to post pics soon when we all get fired up for True Grit! I would like to show some of that work off, but that just encourages "copycaters". We all, including myself get in the habit of using the standard clipped corner buckles on everything because that's what is readily available. If you study old belts, they were made with whatever was available at the time, including harness buckles etc.
Just my $0.02 worth!

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Quote from: JD Alan on December 09, 2010, 11:11:41 PM
It might sound like an odd question, but how wide of a taper belt do people make? I've made what I consider a normal taper belt of 2 & 1/2 inch tapered down to 1 1/2 inch. Its easy to find 1 1/2 inch buckles, but how about a 3 inch wide belt? How would it look and function to taper it down to 1 & 1/2 inch? I've not seen 2 inch buckles any where.

I have someone interested in a 3 inch gun belt, and wondering if it can be tapered. What say you experienced guys?

Thanks very much, JD     

Here ya go JD, a three inch tapered gun belt.http://www.kirkpatrickleather.com/product/h_lhs.htm
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Springfield Slim

Tandy makes 1 3/4" buckles, might make it look better if you don't want to go a full 2".
Full time Mr. Mom and part time leatherworker and bullet caster

ChuckBurrows

They can look just fine - here are some of my belts at 3" with 1.5" tapered ends:

aka Nolan Sackett
Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith

JD Alan

Thanks very much guys, all of the info has been very helpful. Good looking work too.

David, the trailers look great for the new True Grit, at least IMO. I'm really looking forward to seeing it. 
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com