2nd time out with Goex Pinnacle

Started by Howdy Doody, July 10, 2005, 08:31:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Howdy Doody

I like it just fine. I am having good luck with this stuff. I am using 2F, and I am going to try 3F. Smokes just fine and clean up is a breeze. I mean a real breeze. I have been cleaning up after shooting Goex Cowboy for the past 9 months or so and I forgot how quick APP cleans up and this Pinnacle cleans up just as quick. Probably it is just black colored APP but I am not finding as much dusty fines as I did with APP and so far no clumping in the jars either. I am going to keep shooting this stuff for a while.  :)
yer pard,
Howdy Doody
Notorious BP shooter

Arcey

Whut ya usin' fer clean up, Doody-Dood?

Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn't be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it 'n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Howdy Doody

Hey Arcey. I use the same stuff a I do any BP or sub. That is Windex with vinegar that is in a clear spray bottle with half gallon refills that I get at Lowes in the household section. Works for me.
Speaking of clean up, Pinnacle has to be just black colored APP and two wet patches and then a dry one does it for me. I lube with Breakfree CLP bore, pins and everything. Unconventional, yes, but i had problems with Ballistol and none with Breakfree. Your mileage may vary.  :)
yer pard,
Howdy Doody
Notorious BP shooter

Arcey

'preciate the reply, mi amigo.

Mileage always does vary.  I've had pretty good luck with Ballistol.  Gonna be a long post comin' after Saturday's shoot.  Been 'sperimentin' again.

Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn't be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it 'n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Mason Stillwell

I have heard it is Black APP.

I like it in my Cap and Balls just fine. Now I am lookin for a good sorce for it.

Mason
Mason Stillwell

Grand Pap to 4
BP C&B Shooter.

Known early on as Pole Cat Pete
Tar Heel at Heart

Howdy Doody

Howdy Mason,
Yup, you are correct, they coated APP with something black. It smells the same in the jar and it has that whiter smoke to it, same as APP. I have been shooting the 2F. I want to try 3F next.
I get my powder from Powder Inc. I have always been happy with them and they have my over 18 years old documentation on file there. I have been shooting Goex Cowboy for the past year and when I started to run low, I got to ordering a case of 10 lbs. I decided to get a split of 5lbs Cowboy and try 5 lbs of the new Pinnacle. Ran me about $17 a lb, which would equate to about $21 in a store. Just about the same as APP.
Now if you could get some pards to go in with you,  big case lots bring the prices way down. I used to do that with a couple pards up north before I moved here. I don't want to keep too much powder on hand. So, it is 10 lb cases for me. :)
yer pard,
Howdy Doody
Notorious BP shooter

Mason Stillwell

Thanks Dude.
I'll have to get some pards together here in the HOT State and order up a bunch.
I really like it in my Cap and Ball Pistols.

I like the Pyrodex in my pistol caliber stuff so I'll stick to that and use the Pennicle for the  C&B Stuff

Mason
Mason Stillwell

Grand Pap to 4
BP C&B Shooter.

Tar Heel at Heart

Jubel

I'm trying to convince myself to invest in some Goex Pinnicle. My problem, in order to make it cost effective I'm a gonna have to buy quite a bit to beat the hazmat charge. So my question is it really better when it comes to fouling or is it like Pyrodex, re lube after 3 stages or bring out the brass hammer? All the advertising says it's non fouling  and non hydrcopic well then does it smoke like BP? Can non fouling and smoke exixt together?  :o

Your input would be appreciated. I loads 45 Schofield to shoot in my 1858 NMA's
Cousin we been ashooten at each other all day! How about we stop for a beer then we kin go home and get our axes. Or just as good, lets forget this whole dang feud, I'm agetten too old for this anyhow!

Howdy Doody

OK, I guess I gave the new Goex Pinnacle as good a test as I can. I just got done shooting the Western 3 Gun World Cup match. I shot the Pinnacle in rifle and C&B. I did shoot 2F Goex in my shotgun.
The Pinnacle did not foul. I do not use a wad in my C&Bs. Just 30gr load and ball on top. I have extended rams and can shove the ball onto the powder without a wad. I did not clean my rifle or pistols at all at or during the match. I did have to clean my shotgun though. I never cleaned my rifle and pistols until this morning actually. Two wet patches of Windex with vinagar and a patch for drying. Another for lube and put them away. For twelve stages I never had any binding from the powder. I had one shot cap give me some trouble, but no problems with fouling at the center pin, hammer or anything else.
I am going to stick with the pinnacle it makes lots of smoke and is as easy to shoot as anything I have tried so far. 30 grain loads smoked it up really well, enough so that it caught Tequila's attention and next thing I know there is a camera and sound man following me as I worked my way through a stage on the run. W3G, yeah, now that is cowboy action right there.  W3G and pure lead balls were made for each other. You never have a scoring issue with W3G, because the targets are painted before each shooter runs the stage. You don't need counters, just someone to count the marks on the steel and count up how many bonuses the shooter got. Cool idea.
To answer Jubel's question. Pinnacle is about the opposite from Pyrodex. Without getting into a big thing, I will just state that I do not use that sub and won't again. I like Goex, Goex Cowboy for true powders and APP and Pinnacle for subs. I was shooting ROAs and they have a great bushing to keep things moving too. I did give the pins some oil prior to shooting day two.
yer pard,
Howdy Doody
Notorious BP shooter

Four-Eyed Buck

Howdy, Kin I have yer autygraph?.............Buck 8) ::) :o ;)
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Howdy Doody

Buck, didn't I give you one about 55 years ago when you where in the peanut gallery? Well, if I didn't and they actually air me shooting up a stage and smoking the place up. Then you can have a second autograph.  ;D    hahahahaha. I'll say no more. Watch the show Cowboys on the Outdoor channel. Thems some great pards puttin' that on. Tequila off camera can make you laugh until you fall down. That program is great to get folks knowing about cowboy action shooting, no matter what it is, SASS, NCOWs, W3G or whatever.
yer pard,
Howdy Doody
Notorious BP shooter

Four-Eyed Buck

Howdy Doody

I am on cloud nine. Notice I got my old alias back? Whew, I should have gotten it straight a long time ago. Wooden headed you know.
This time I am writing down the password and everything.  ::)
yer pard,
Howdy Doody
Notorious BP shooter

Four-Eyed Buck

55 years ago, I was awful small, Howdy. Probably threw up on it when I got colic.......Buck 8) ::) :o ;) ;D

Howdy Doody

Buck, I am emailing you a funny story about this.  :)
yer pard,
Howdy Doody
Notorious BP shooter

montanadan

-Howdy- the reason Pinnacle powder is darker than APP is because it has charcoal in it,Pinnacle is a liitle more powerful about 10% to15%.I too, like the stuff..good post..Respectfully montanadan

Four-Eyed Buck

Howdy, I E-Mailed you a pic of the girls from my other addy. The pic is kinda large................Buck 8) ::) :o ;)

Howdy Doody

I think I am really liking this Pinnacle. I am about ready for another case of it now. I split a case last time, but I better stock up on the stuff. Too bad it is so expensive. It runs about the same as most subs.
This stuff cleans up like a charm, Shoots really well and has lots of power. I might have to cut back a bit because I am getting some serious recoil and muzzle flip that I wasn't with Goex Cowboy.
Doc Shapiro put some videos up on the W3G website and I was able to see that it was indeed as smokey as anything else.
http://www.western3gun.com/
yer pard,
Howdy Doody
Notorious BP shooter

Mason Stillwell

Howdy
Up in Payson I did notice that early in the cool morning I had a very mild load in my 58.As the day heated up so did my load.
By the end of the hot day I had Recoiling cap and ball pistol.

Mason
Mason Stillwell

Grand Pap to 4
BP C&B Shooter.

Tar Heel at Heart

Howdy Doody

Mason, you might be on to something there pard. I have only shot the Pinnacle in really hot weather. In fact I don't think I have shot it at all under 100 degrees. I shoot a 30gr load with about anything except of course 777 and this new Pinnacle is pretty potent, but it is very accurate too. I need to get some more. 5 lbs wasn't enough of a test.
yer pard,
Howdy Doody
Notorious BP shooter

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com