Need Views on Evans vs Spencer

Started by Dana, December 03, 2010, 05:10:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dana

I have seen some Evans transitional Model rifles show up on the market, Its a interesting looking gun, just wondering about range. I have read that Transitionals come in both 44 long and short. Is there a easy way of telling, the people selling these rifles don't know what they have. If you had your choice between Spencer and Evans Silhouette shooting (200yd) what would you take?

Dana

Herbert

From what I have read and what I have seen the transition Evans was only chamberd for the 44 Evans short,the New modle had a difrent frame and was chamberd for the Evans long cartridge which was a big inprovment and capable of 200 yd shots if the proper load & bullet are yoused.I have both a NM Evans & a original 56-50 Spencer carbine,the Evans will out shoot the Spencer carbine at 200yd but not my friends Springfield converted Spencer rifle which is good on steell sihouettes to 400meters and capable of hiting a man sized target  at 700 meters with practice,I do not belive the 44 short would have the power to drop the targets at 200yds but I have not tryed it,I belive acuracy would not be a problem and loading this cartridge is much easier than the 44long which takes a healed bass bullet and you have to use a greese cookie for lube,the 44 Evans short is very simular to the 44 Russian

Happy Trails

Dana,

Your question has been answered correctly by Herbert.  The Transitional Evans was only chambered for the .44 Evans Short.  The New Model Evans was chambered for the .44 Evans Long.  
As for long range shooting I'd have to say the Evans Rifle with a standard 28" or 30" barrel would outdistance and outshoot the .56-50 Spencer Carbine with the shorter barrel.
The mechanism of the Transitional and the New Model are quite different however externally it is quite easy to tell them apart.  
The Transitional fore stock blends to the mainframe of the gun with a curved shape.  The Transitional does not have a "cover" over the chamber opening.
Click here to see a Transitional Model http://members.cox.net/automag/Trans.JPG

The New Model fore stock is a square cut blend to the frame.  Also the New Model has a moving cover over the chamber area.  It exposes the chamber area when the lever is worked to the open position.  Click here to see a New Model.  In this picture it is a Carbine however most New Models were made in the rifle configuration.   http://members.cox.net/automag/NM.JPG

I hope this helps.  If you have any other questions send me an e-mail at HappyTrails4461@cox.net and I will try to answer.

"Happy Trails"
SASS #4461

And may the good Lord take a likin' to ya.

Trailrider

I'm not sure what to compare the .44 Evans Short with, but the exterior dimensions of the .44 Evans Long are very close to those of the .44 Henry Rim Fire.  Except that the Evans Long is central fire.  I would expect the Long to have ballistics similar to the .44 Henry Flat.

As I see it, the biggest problem with shooting the Evans rifles, Old, Transition or New Models, is the way the magazine loads.  You have to load one round at a time, working the lever EACH time you load one into the butt trap.  Load less than a full magazine and you have to work the lever until the first round shows up in the ejection port.  If you were loading for a ten round stage, in an Old or a Transition Model, (34 round capacity ???) you'd have to work that lever 24 more times after loading the 10th round.  Or is it 23 times so the chamber remains empty?  With the New Model, it would be 17 or 18 times (28 round capacity)!  :P

Plus, those Evans' are butt-heavy or just plain heavy!  Frankly, between a Spencer and an Evans, I'll take the Spencer, and between the Spencer and the Henry...well...  ;)
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Herbert

the Evans long cass is 1 1/2 inches long and uses a 280gr bullet 40gr FF BP in the original load and is quite a bit more powfull than the 44 Henry RF the 44 Evans short has a 1 inch long cass and would be in the power range of the 44 Henry RF ,44 SW American which some people say it is interchangable with or the 44 Russian ,but I do not know a lot about this model and cartridge but I think somone on this foum shoots one may be he can chime in

John Smith

My friemd "Windy Whales" shoots an Evans in SASS.  He made up 2 dummy rounds painted red, he loads them first, then loads the remaining 10, levering after each one.  When the first "red dummy" is ejected, he knows the second one is now in the chamber.  He explains and demonstrated this to the various RO/TO s and has never had a problem with them.

Bead Swinger

I'll agree about the Evans Long - The modern version are cut down .445 Supermags, and can pack a lot of powder.  The original bullet I have came in about 295 gr, and my replicate is the same.  I shoot with only 26gr. FFg, and they shoot very well (nice groups).  I have a carbine chambered for Evans Short, and I use .44 Mag cases, with the same 295 gr. bullet. These only pack about 24 gr. of powder, which still makes them quite a bit heaftier than the .44 Henry.

If anyone's interested, I am selling my NM Evans with the .44 Evans Short barrel.  I also have 120 loaded .44 Evans Short rounds I probably won't shoot. And .421 bullets too, if anyone's reloading for their Evans.

http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,34287.0.html
                 (added by Two Flints - hope you don't mind Bead Swinger ???)

I take one round with holes drilled in it, cycle twice, and then load whatever the stage calls for. Then at the loading table, when I eject the dummy round, it is really easy to see that the chamber is empty.  They're faster than Spencers, slower than Henry's, but a hoot and a half to shoot. But they're like Spencers - you can't baby them while cycling.

Good shootin'! :D
1860 Rifle SN 23954

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com