Infantry rifle

Started by savagefellow, December 02, 2010, 02:31:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

savagefellow

Don't know about you guys, but i thought all the infantry rifles were being made with the sling bar for cost reasons. Well, I just picked up a Taylors in .45 Colt, Infantry rifle, with no sling bar, or machining for it! I'm very pleased.
Mike Pearson

Sean Thornton

Quote from: savagefellow on December 02, 2010, 02:31:17 PM
Don't know about you guys, but i thought all the infantry rifles were being made with the sling bar for cost reasons. Well, I just picked up a Taylors in .45 Colt, Infantry rifle, with no sling bar, or machining for it! I'm very pleased.
Mike Pearson
I looked at a .56-50 Taylor Infantry rifle that did not ahve the saddle ring but did not buy it because it had some other problems.  I ended up with a .56-50 Infantry rifle with the ring.  Without the ring is more correct for those wanting to use them for Civil War reenacting with blanks.  I did not know they offered the infantry rifle in .45 Colt, that is good.
"Victory thru rapid fire"
National Henry Rifle Company"
SASS 5042 LTGR

Preston County Rider

Sean and everybody else - do we have any documented evidence that the Spencers carried by cav units in 1863 had slings bars? I know they were rifles but haven't seen any word on how they were carried

PCR
1st WVA Cav/17th PVC

Sean Thornton

Quote from: Preston County Rider on December 03, 2010, 09:37:16 AM
Sean and everybody else - do we have any documented evidence that the Spencers carried by cav units in 1863 had slings bars? I know they were rifles but haven't seen any word on how they were carried

PCR
1st WVA Cav/17th PVC
According to the Marcot book on Spencers the rifles did not come with the sling bar & ring.  The carbines that first came out in late 1863 did have the sling bar and ring on them.  However there is a picture of one of Wilder's men that has a rifle with a sling bar & ring that has been added to it.  It is the only picture I have seen with a ring on a Civil War spencer rifle, that is not to say that others may have also added a ring to their rifles also.  I have handled 7 different Spencers used by Wilder's men over the years most from the 123rd Illinois Infantry and none of those had the ring.  Wilder's men were mounted infantry and not cavalry.  I know of no documentation of cavalry armed with Spencer Rifles having the sling bar and ring.  I wish mine did not have the sling bar and ring but it is all I could find when I was looking for a spencer rifle.
"Victory thru rapid fire"
National Henry Rifle Company"
SASS 5042 LTGR

Two Flints

The saddle ring and bar on Spencer rifles was discussed year years ago.  This is the link.

http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,6441.msg83004.html#msg83004

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Moderating SSS is a "labor of love"
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
Spencer Shooting Society Moderator
Spencer Shooting Society (SSS) #4;
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Fur Trade Era - Mountain Man
Traditional Archery

Trailrider

The only Infantry Rifle Spencers that had the ring/bar were re-conditioned carbines.  According to Marcot, p.125, Springfield Armory Rifle Musket Conversions were originally Burnside Carbines rebarreled with a 32-1/2", .50 caliber (.56-50), 3-groove barrel. Apparently these barrels were the same as used on the M1868 Trapdoor Springfields, except for the chambering, the Springfields being chambered for .50-70. "Each gun retained the original carbine ring and bar on the left side of the frame, a rather unusual feature for a rifle."  A total of 1109 were thus converted.  So, apparently, for CW re-enactment, the ring and bar on a rifle isn't authentic.  But, then I have learned NEVER to say, "Never!"  :-\
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Arizona Trooper

If you want a Spencer rifle with a sling ring, do it like the attached picture. This is Henry Salmon's rifle, from Co. A. 123rd Ill, Wilder's Brigade. I have seen a couple done like this. The bar is a coach strap staple from the back of a McClellan saddle (there are 3 and you only really need 2). The ring is a lead strap ring off the same saddle (there are 2 and you only need one of them).  

(Re-posted by Two Flints)

Jobe Holiday

Very nice ID'd rifle. I especially like the scarring on the stock from the square edge of the snap ring on the shoulder belt.

JH
Life Member: NRA Benefactor, NMLRA, SCA, OMSA, EAF&GC

Fox Creek Kid

As far as the forearm problems go with the Armisport one could buy an aftermarket forearm that has correct band spacing.

http://www.dunlapwoodcrafts.com/MilitaryStocks.php#26

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com