Need some bag help(lining and trim)

Started by DarbyFett, December 02, 2010, 05:27:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarbyFett

Im making a little buckskin satchel based on the video game "Red Dead Redemption" and I need some help.

I am lining it with cotton ticking, but I have never lined a bag before. How do I keep the ticking from fraying?

What thickness leather should I use for trim on the flap?

Thanks in advance!

Mogorilla

Well, I would think your lining will be stitched into the bag, so once stiched it won't fray.  The lined one I did was lined with wool, I stiched the wool with the leather, inside out, so the seam was inside the bag when it was turned inside out.  I believe cutting with pinking shears is also supposed to decrease fraying.    As to trim, I have never done it, but the ones I have looked at were garment thickness.  I did read a tutorial where the guy cut the trim in the shape of the flap, rather than a long strip, it prevented puckering.  Hope that helps.

DarbyFett

Thanks! I guess the whipstitch will keep the ticking from fraying.

Thinnest leather I have is 3-4 ounces.

Mogorilla

I usually use a saddle stich on the body of the bag, but I tend to overload things and it has strength.  with 3-4 oz, I worry the fold over of the trim will be difficult, it will definitely define the edge of your bag though.  good luck.  I have made several shooting bags for bp shooters, but they were before I had a camera, so no evidence exists to convict me.   I am hoping some others will chime in.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Freedom

If you fold your ticking under about 1/4" - 1/2" at the edges before you sew it will have a nice clean edge, it also really increases the strength at the stitch so your ticking edges will last a long time.  I have done this with the wifes iron and some iron-on tape strip.... (but probly not needed) ,,, ironing the fold before stitching will sure make things easier though.

for the leather trim edge...i have found that barge or master's cement can be your best friend. It sticks even to soaking wet leather. (just don't glue too heavy..lol). .. 3/4oz is pretty heavy, but if you case/soak it fiirst, it should shape pretty well.

Also if  the trim leather  gives you trouble, you can leave your trim leather Plenty big (wide), you can then cut the excess off after stitching... A good edger will trim it back real nice and even. (you may want to try a couple practice pieces first,  as the edger can be a little challenging to cut with, but once you get the edger working for you, it will cut real slick for the purpose).

Hope this helps  (or at least makes sense :D)
www.7xleather.com ...Cowboy and Muzzle loading Gear

DarbyFett

Makes plenty of sense Freedom, thank you both for your help!

It will be a while before I can show off the bag, I need some little things for it that I can't really afford at the moment.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com