How many of you dye the inside of your holsters?

Started by bedbugbilly, November 29, 2010, 04:54:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bedbugbilly

O.K. - may be a stupid question but I'm curious about it.  The fellow that taught me how to make holsters always left his leather "natural" and he said that if he did dye a holster, he didn't do the inside as the revolver would wear through it. 

I've made a a few holsters - not the traditional "loop" but usually with the belt loop sewn on the back.  I have done several with a sewn on back loop secured by a buckled loop though.  I like to use the "tan" "eco flow gel" antique type dye that Tandy sells as I like the results and color.  I have always dyed the insides of the holster, at least as far down as will be visible when it is sewn together.

I'm going to make a West Texas "loop" holster for my New Vaquero and am wondering how some of you finish your loop holsters.  Do you dye the inside and do you dye the backside of the flap that is turned to make the belt loop?  (the flesh side).  I have never had much wear over time on the holsters that I've made so far as wear on the inside of the holster but am wondering now what way they would have been dyed "in the good old days of the old West"?  I know that military "flap" holsters were not dyed on the inside but that is a whole different method of holster construction as compared to "loop" holsters.  If you dye the flesh side of the flap that is turned over that will end up being against your thigh when carried (flesh side), you almost have to dye the inside as well.  Can some of you advise how you do it and if possible, post some photos?  Thanks.   :)

Slowhand Bob

I like black as a contrast to the darker brown tones and frequently use that with lined holsters but since I dip dye a lot the two pieces are done separately and unlined ones are also dipped for full coverage.  I really like to work my top coat into the backside for a slicker finish there.

Kid Terico

BBB go to leather smiths show your stuff Part 2. I just posterd a antiqued holster I lined and dyed today. It should give you a good idea. It is dyed inside and out. KT

Cliff Fendley

I pretty much always dip dye mine so it's covered inside and out anyway.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

bedbugbilly

Thanks Kid!  I checked it out - what a thing of beauty!  It's great!  I haven't "dip dyed" yet - partly because of my workspace out here in AZ where I am for the winter.  But - it is something that I will be looking in to further.  Thanks to all for your comments and suggestions!  Sincerely, Bedbug   :)

Dalton Masterson

I usually dye the insides of mine, although it is not with dipping. Just use a large wool scrap and lots of dye.
I try to dye the inside before I sew, as to me, when I look down the throat of the holster, it should look finished there as well.

Here latlely, everything has been in a coffee dye, so its been colored in and out.
DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

Chuck 100 yd

Yes, inside and out. I think they look unfinished otherwise.  ;)

knucklehead

Ditto for me.

holster looks unfinished if not dyed inside and out.
i also feel that all belts need to be dyed front and back to be finished.

the inside of holster and belt backside doesnt need to be same color as outside just needs to be dyed.
I'M #330 DIRTY RAT.

Dalton Masterson

Aah, thats where I differ. I often just oil the backside of a belt, and dont dye it. Of course, thats not still raw leather I guess, so it could be considered dye'd... ???

I do like the inside of my holsters a contrasting color when I dye them, if the opportunity arises.
DM
SASS #51139L
RATS #65
SCORRS
www.runniron.com

knucklehead

oilling would be dying leather in a sense, speacially if you leave it in sun for a while.

while at state fair this summer i stopped at a custom belt making booth just to see what they were doing on leather.
they told me that all their belts were hand made and proceeded to show me the belts with no finish on the backside.
also the edges were raw and sharp. i could also see the tool marks of them pressing in the tandy 3-d stamps.
looked like they spent mabey 10 mins on making the belt.
they were charging a custom belt maker price.
when i mentioned that the edges were not finished and asked about what finish they used on the belt.
they asked me to leave and not come back.
guess they didnt like me knowing how leather belts should be finished.

I'M #330 DIRTY RAT.

Dalton Masterson

Crazy. BUT, were people buying their product?
We had a similar type outfit in a local mall, but they had an embosser and the work wasnt terrible. Just not done. No edging, etc.

Sry to get OT...
DM
SASS #51139L
RATS #65
SCORRS
www.runniron.com

bedbugbilly

knucklehead & Dalton - I found your comments interesting on the belts.  I go to a weekly "farmer's market" out here in AZ and there is a fellow there that peddles belts and other leather goods as well.  He has a few holsters - some are very nice and I have a feeling that he probably makes them.  He has several holster/cartridge belt sets hanging up and from the looks of them, I have to question whether he is getting them from Mexico.  He has about $110 on the ones I looked at and the dying looks more like a "mass produced" item than anything else.  Quality is so-so.  The guy is not a salesman - I've looked at his nicer holsters and he's watched me looking at them but never came over to try and make a sale - this has happened on three different times as after the first time, I went back a couple of other weeks and acted interested on purpose just to see how he would react.  I really would have liked to talk with him about his leatherwork but it was a "no go".  Some folks are better off "doing" and letting others do the "selling"  I guess.  Don't get me wrong - I'm not knocking something that is made in Mexico as I've seen some nice hand-tooled leatherwork that was done there.  And, putting the border problems aside . . . it just irritates the heck out of me when I see stuff from Mexico up here - such as hand painted furniture, pottery, etc. and quite high prices are on it when you know they've gone across the border and paid the craftsman next to nothing for it.  But . . . I guess that is the way of the world whether we like it or not.  At any rate . . . I have to wonder if some of the belts you're talking about and that I've seen as well at flea markets all over this country aren't originating from Mexico or some other third world country.  As far as the holster/cartridge belt rigs I'm referring to go . . .  I'm sure the guy is passing them off as his own work when in reality, he's purchased them for re-sale.  But . . . I guess that is his business and that's one of those things that makes the world go round.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com