Optimal 1851 Navy throat measurements?

Started by Mossyrock, November 28, 2010, 04:00:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mossyrock

Gents,

I have two 1851 Navy revolvers.  One is a recent-production Uberti, and the other is a Second Generation Colt.  While the fit and finish on the Colt are superior to the Uberti (and should be), the Uberti is considerably more accurate.  That being said, the cylinder throats on the Colt measure as follows:

1.  .372"
2.  .373"
3.  .3725"
4.  .3725"
5.  .373"
6.  .373"

The Uberti measure a VERY consistent .3755".  Based on this, it looks like I need to recut the throats of the Colt to .375".  Any idea where I might be able to come up with a .375" throat reamer?
Mossyrock

"We thought about it for a long time... 'Endeavor to persevere.' And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union."

Lone Watie

Yakima Red

Director, Colters Hell Justice Committee WSAS.
Wyoming Single Action Shooters.
SASS, NCOWS, NRA Life Endowment.
Certified NRA Firearms Instructor.
2008 NRA Wyoming volunteer of the year.
Creator of miracles.
"Let us then...under God, trust our cause to our swords. ~Samuel Adams

Mossyrock

Mossyrock

"We thought about it for a long time... 'Endeavor to persevere.' And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union."

Lone Watie

hawkeye2

Mossyrock contact me, I know someone who can do it for you.  Excelent work and very reasonable.  He has done 3 .44 cylinders for me this year and not only do I like his work I like his price even better.

Fox Creek Kid

I used to have my .36 cylinders reamed UNTIL Warren quit making the .380 ball & before I did any reaming I always chamfered the forcing cone as that was usually the cause of accuracy woes.  ;)

Pettifogger

Quote from: Fox Creek Kid on November 28, 2010, 11:02:18 PM
I used to have my .36 cylinders reamed UNTIL Warren quit making the .380 ball & before I did any reaming I always chamfered the forcing cone as that was usually the cause of accuracy woes.  ;)

+1.  All the commercial balls are .375.  I don't want to have to depend on custom mail order cast balls.  The pure lead swaged commercial balls will bump up .002" when they hit the forcing cone.  Same with the chamfer.  Remove the sharp edge before the ball hits the rifling and any C&B is more than accurate enough for CAS shooting.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com