A good Deal? Reliable?

Started by ODgreen, November 24, 2010, 08:24:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ODgreen

hellgate

Yes, at that price but it is gonna get bid up. The extra cylinder is nice too. I have two already. Like 'em. They are good guns and very reliable. I did finally have one break a hand spring after a few thousand rounds. Mine are the millennium (matte black) finish no longer made. If the price gets to where you could get a new one then it is a "push"  but the cylider, capper etc. slightly sweetens the deal. You might want ot check with Taylors, Cimarron, Midway etc for other Ubertis to see what they go for new before deciding on a bid.
"Frontiersman: the only category where you can shoot your wad and play with your balls while tweeking the nipples on a pair of 44s." Canada Bill

Since I have 14+ guns, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap&Ball. Now, that's a COMPLIMENT!

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
Wolverton Mt. Peacekeepers
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

Holden A. Grudge

As it stands right now that is a great deal...but OUCH  12 days left!  That is a long auction and most likely it won't get to the selling price until right at the end.  I am far too impatient for those long ones but stick it out and you may end up with a good deal.

As stated, check what the price is for a new one.  Way too often I see bids go up above what the price would be for buying new and always wonder what the bidder was thinking.

Wolfgang

Cabelas is selling the Pietta '58 Remington for $ 200, . . an extra cylider is $ 40 or so . . . .  :)

Some folks prefer the Ubertis, . . some years back I hear that their quality was better . . . general opinion now seems to be equal between Uberti and Pietta . . . if you get one from Cabelas that you're not happy with it exchange is possilbe with them.  My first '58 ws a Pietta and now I have a few and am happy with them.   :)
Beware the man with one gun, he probably knows how to use it.

Wolfgang

OD Green . . . If'n yur shopping for a "starting out" cap & ball pistol . . .  you need to begin watching the SASS forum classifieds.  You don't have to be member of SASS to visit there and to buy off of it.  There are great deals all the time.  There was a pair of used '58 Remingtons the other day for $ 275.   I just bought and extra '51 Colt, with holster and a bowie knife included for $ 130 and that included shipping it to me.  Have money handy and ready and have a look-see several times a day.  The good stuff doesn't last long.  :)

Examples from just the past few days :

http://sassnet.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=159689

http://sassnet.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=159691

http://sassnet.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=159637

litl rooster

don't forget to add in the shipping cost to your total also.  This sometimes puts it over buying from a local shop
Mathew 5.9

ODgreen

Well the joy of living in iowa, is that thanks to our muzzleloader dear season, theres no shortage of Powder and bullets. However The BPS, and Scheels we have dont really have much selection, and Bass Pro is WAY over priced(with crappy customer service. I stood at the Gun counter for 15 min and they didn't so much as say "boo" to me.) I'm talking with a local gun store owner hoping he'll buy my Carcano and hopefully I can get some decent cash for it.

Fox Creek Kid

Rule No. 1 of Internet gun buying:

NEVER tell anyone before buying.  ;D

Wolfgang

Your  "good deal" . . . is now $ 165 with 10 days more to go.   And "good deals" from private parties on the other side of the country often can have little prolems that they "forgot to mention" or "didn't know about" . . . and there is no recourse for you.  If a $ 200 new in the box Pietta from Cabelas seems rough to you ( happens once in a while ) you can exchange it.  About half of what I've bought sight unseen has had minor flaws that were not mentioned.  It is common for sellers to hedge the description in such a way as to make the item a little bit ore "saleable".   On the other hand some things I've purchased unseen have turned out to be considerabley better than was expected.  In buying a lot of stuff . . . . ( which I do ), . . .  it avarages out in the long run.   But, . . buying a first pistol on a budget you can get stuck with one that needs a lot of fixing and that you are unhappy with.   Just my $ .03 . . . if of any value.  :)

litl rooster

Quote from: Fox Creek Kid on November 25, 2010, 08:19:25 PM
Rule No. 1 of Internet gun buying:

NEVER tell anyone before buying.  ;D

LOL.... that one is now more than I would pay!
Mathew 5.9

Wolfgang

Quote from: litl rooster on November 26, 2010, 03:30:00 PM

LOL.... that one is now more than I would pay!

Now . . . 27th . . . it is 165 . . and  with the extra cylinder would be a good buy at 225 . . . still has 10 days to go . . . some of these auctions go above what you can buy the stuff for new if you look around at the varioius suppliers for a good price.   Silly.  I sometimes see pistols with a starting price above what Cabelas is selling them for new in a box.   

litl rooster

Quote from: Wolfgang on November 27, 2010, 07:23:11 AM
Now . . . 27th . . . it is 165 . . and  with the extra cylinder would be a good buy at 225 . . . still has 10 days to go . . . some of these auctions go above what you can buy the stuff for new if you look around at the varioius suppliers for a good price.   Silly.  I sometimes see pistols with a starting price above what Cabelas is selling them for new in a box.   

It happens more often than not.
Mathew 5.9

Driftwood Johnson

Howdy

At first I got all excited because I thought the extra cylinder was a cartridge cylinder. Then it would have been a terrific price. But closer examination showed it is an extra C&B cylinder.

Personally, I have never felt the need for extra cylinders for C&B, I just keep loading the single cylinder between stages.

That capper ain't very good, does not add anything to the deal. I can't figure out specifically what that powder measure is, probably useable.
That's bad business! How long do you think I'd stay in operation if it cost me money every time I pulled a job? If he'd pay me that much to stop robbing him, I'd stop robbing him.

Ya probably inherited every penny ya got!

Holden A. Grudge

Wolfgang

. . . $ 255 is a fair price for it with the extra cylinder.   Don't know just what new Uberis are going for . . . but you can get a new Pietta '58 with axtra cylinder for that from Cabelas anytime.  :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com