Ballistol Ingredients?

Started by August, November 22, 2010, 10:13:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crow Choker

John Boy-I've tried three times to register on the 'Open Range' and each time it states the e-mail adresses associated with yahoo and hot mail will not register due to some members having problems with spam???? It advises to use an alternate e-mail, but I'm stuck with yahoo unless there is something with this computor business I don't know about--and I don't know alot about the electronic marvels. My grandkids can do more with them than me--sad, but true. IN order to keep with the original post and not high-jack it, I still maintain balistol is good smelling stuff, along with other items I put in my post. To each his own. ;D ;D ;D ;D
Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo

Doc Cuervo

Hmmmm....never used Balistol, just hot water dish soap, scrup the parts real well, get all the fouling off then put the parts in a cake pan in the oven at the lowest setting to dry. Once dry and while still warm spray it with WD-40. WD-40 -is made from fish oil and not petrolium products and works quite well on BP guns, just make sure it dries well. If you are in a high humidity area, give the gun a light coat of olive oil.

Fairshake

My wife also hates the smell of Ballistol, so much so that I clean my guns outside on the back porch. When the weather is so bad that I can't be out there I use two old heavy towels. They soak up the moose milk so that it does not spread into the other area's of the house. I my self like the smell and I also don't care for licorice candy.
Deadwood Marshal  Border Vigilante SASS 81802                                                                         WARTHOG                                                                   NRA                                                                            BOLD So that His place shall never be with those cold and Timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat

Percussion Pete

Love the smell of BP, Ballistol, Hoppe's etc.

My dogs farts. Not so much.
Pete

Slowhand

Ballistol is great stuff. I use it on my BP and "Smokeless" weapons.

I put an exhaust fan in the den. Where I clean up my weapons. It helps.

Wife #3 (Soon to be an Ex) still wasn't happy. The usual conflict of religion thing. She thought she was God and I wasn't a believer.

Needless to say some folks just weren't meant to be married. I'm hanging an old sign on the inside of my front door from my single days.

"Management is not responsible for any left items or personal possessions.
Check out time is Noon".

I do have a young lady from a cleaning service who drops by on Monday every two weeks. Hiring a maid is certainly cheaper than a wife and a whole less complicated. :)

So ballistol is a keeper. Maybe I'll get married again in another 10-15 years... no rush.
I don't carry a weapon looking for trouble. I carry one in case Trouble finds me.

Fairshake

When the Germans first were trying to make the product they wanted it to serve more than one purpose. What is so great about Ballistol when compared to others is that very thing. It is good for wood, metal, leather and also minor cuts and burns. Thats correct it may be used for first aid also.
Deadwood Marshal  Border Vigilante SASS 81802                                                                         WARTHOG                                                                   NRA                                                                            BOLD So that His place shall never be with those cold and Timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat

PJ Hardtack

I love the smell of Ballistol/Hoppe's #9, etc., etc. Smells like ...victory!

Means a gun has been fired and is now getting deserved TLC. What's not to like? My wife long ago got used to coming home to a kitchen smelling like Lucifer's den to find me scrubbing a pair of C&Bs in the sink.

That makes me happy and that makes her happy.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Choke Creek Jack

I don't really mind the smell of Ballistol as there are worse smelling gun cleaning chemicals,  namely, GI bore solvent.  Something that smells that bad, GI bore solvent, can't be good for you.

Anyway, the reason I'd posting here is that I came across this thread and thought you might be interested in my attempt to make my own Ballistol.  I attempted to make my own, not that Ballistol is all that expensive but because I have on hand two gallons of veterinarian light mineral oil (my son had used this for a school science fair experiment).  I knew from searching the internet that Ballistol's main ingredient was mineral oil.  It also contained alcohol.  I didn't want to add denatured alcohol as I wanted to keep it somewhat non-toxic.  After looking around the house I came an ingredient that  I thought would do the trick!  Listerine Mouth Wash!  It is mostly water, grain alcohol and menthol so it is somewhat benign.  So I got my big spray bottle and mixed up batch of 50% water, 25% Listerine and 25% veterinarian light mineral oil.  I shook it up, it looked just like "moose milk" and smelled good thanks to the Listerine.  I set it on my bench with the hope of trying it out the next time shot black powder.  But unfortunately, after sitting for about 10 minutes, the mineral oil separated from the water and mouth wash.  It seems that mineral oil is not water soluble!  In order to make my own Ballistol, I would need to find water soluble mineral oil.  After searching the internet again,  I found you can get water soluble mineral oil, it is used as a coolant in drilling  and in steam cleaning engines and is the stuff on the inside of paint balls.  I decided to stick with commercial Ballistol, but I still have two gallons of mineral oil to find a use for.  Maybe it's the Oleic acid in Ballistol that makes it water soluble? 

Jack
"There are three kinds of Cowboy Action Shooters, those who can count and those who can't"

River City John

". . .two gallons of mineral oil to find a use for."

Well, what do Vets use it for? ;)

Funny, once had a wag try to convince me that the secret ingredient in Ballistol was Moose semen. And that is how it got it's nickname for the formula, seeing that one of the most thankless jobs in the industry was that class of workers who had to milk the moose.

RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Cuts Crooked

MSDS for Ballitol:

F.W.KLEVER CHEMIE GMBH -- BALLISTOL -- 9150-01-391-7059
=====================  Product Identification  =====================

Product ID:BALLISTOL
MSDS Date:01/01/1987
FSC:9150
NIIN:01-391-7059
MSDS Number: BWHCX
=== Responsible Party ===
Company Name:F.W.KLEVER CHEMIE GMBH
Address:20 HAUPTSTRASSE, 84168 AHAM
City:GERMANY
Emergency Phone Num:919-261-0408
CAGE:C4878
=== Contractor Identification ===
Company Name:F.W.KLEVER CHEMIE GMBH
Address:20 HAUPTSTRASSE, 84168 AHAM
Box:City:GERMANY
CAGE:C4878
Company Name:WASHINGTON TRADING CO, INC. (IMPORTER) BALLISTOL USA
Address:1 CYPRESS KNEE TRAIL
Box:City:KITTY HAWK
State:NC
ZIP:27949-9223
Phone:252-261-6181
CAGE:0ZKM2

=============  Composition/Information on Ingredients  =============

Ingred Name:LIQUID PARAFFIN OIL
CAS:8012-95-1
RTECS #:PY8030000
Other REC Limits:NONE RECOMMENDED
OSHA PEL:5 MG/M3
ACGIH TLV:5 MG/M3 (MIST); 9394

Ingred Name:POTASSIUM OLEATE
CAS:143-18-0
RTECS #:RK1150000

Ingred Name:BENZYL ALCOHOL
CAS:100-51-6
RTECS #:DN3150000

Ingred Name:VOLITILE ORGANIC CONTENT, NON-AEROSOL
RTECS #:9999999VC
Fraction by Wt: 5.3%
Warthog
Bold
Scorrs
Storm
Dark Lord of the Soot
Honorary member of the Mormon Posse
NCOWS #2250
SASS #36914
...work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like you do when nobody is watching..

Choke Creek Jack

Quote from: River City John on January 30, 2011, 01:20:28 PM
". . .two gallons of mineral oil to find a use for."

Well, what do Vets use it for? ;)

An animal laxative, but my livestock consists of one Jack Russell Terrier!
"There are three kinds of Cowboy Action Shooters, those who can count and those who can't"

River City John

Quote from: Choke Creek Jack on January 30, 2011, 05:16:02 PM
An animal laxative, but my livestock consists of one Jack Russell Terrier!

;D ;D ;D
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com