Ballistol Ingredients?

Started by August, November 22, 2010, 10:13:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

August

It's getting old to hear my wife complain about the smell of Ballistol in the house during cleaning sessions.

Can I make the same thing with some mineral oil and water?  I'd like to put some mint extract in it and have a better climate when cleaning gunz.

Thanks for any info.

Driftwood Johnson

Howdy

I read someplace that it is basically paraffin dissolved in mineral oil.

Why not just save the trouble and add some sort of scent to commercial Ballistol?
That's bad business! How long do you think I'd stay in operation if it cost me money every time I pulled a job? If he'd pay me that much to stop robbing him, I'd stop robbing him.

Ya probably inherited every penny ya got!

Paladin UK

Decisions pard...its all down to decisions!!!

Ballistol ::) ...............Wife ::) Hard one  ta call I know
  ;)

Paladin (Whats takin a beatin right now from Annie `O`  :-[ ) UK
I Ride with the `Picketts Hill Marshals`..... A mean pistol packin bunch a No goods

The UK`s 1st Warthog!!... Soot Lord, and Profound believer in tha....`Holy Black` 
MASTER... The Sublyme & Holy Order of the Soot (SHOTS)
  BWSS#033  SCORRS  SBSS#836L  STORM#303

Real Cowboys Shoot with BLACK POWDER!!

Paladins Web Site

Paladins Very Own Shotshell Loader This is an animaton so it takes a while fer the 1st page ta go..

Howdy Doody

Windex with vinegar, Dove dish washing liquid soap, simple green and just plain real hot water all come to mind as great to clean up BP.
I remember using ballistol when I first got into shooting BP and I also remember my little shop smelled like a locker room for days after using it. It is just soluble oil sort of like we used in the good old days in the cooling system of engines to lube water pumps. The secret ingredient is not so secret. It is the water used to make moose milk in the first place.  ;)
yer pard,
Howdy Doody
Notorious BP shooter

john boy

Ingredients (according to a specification from December 2002)

* pharmaceutical white oil: CAS RN 8042-47-5; Mineral oil
    * Oleic acid: CAS RN 112-80-1
    * C-5 alcohols: CAS RN 78-83-1; Isobutyl alcohol
    * CAS RN 137-32-6; 2-Methylbutyl Alcohol
    * CAS RN 100-51-6; BENZENEMETHANOL (9CI)
    * different essential oils to perfume Ballistol
Regards
SHOTS Master John Boy

WartHog ...
Brevet 1st Lt, Scout Company, Department of the Atlantic
SASS  ~  SCORRS ~ OGB with Star

Devote Convert to BPCR

Cookie

Quote from: john boy on November 22, 2010, 04:24:50 PM
    * different essential oils to perfume Ballistol

You mean they choose that smell on purpose???  ::)

Seriously though, if they add essential oils to give it a particular (terrible) smell, then adding different oils, (like peppermint or lavendar) shouldn't do too much damage, maybe?

Delmonico

Quote from: Cookie on November 22, 2010, 05:09:02 PM
You mean they choose that smell on purpose???  ::)

Seriously though, if they add essential oils to give it a particular (terrible) smell, then adding different oils, (like peppermint or lavendar) shouldn't do too much damage, maybe?

To the gun, most likey not, to your reputation when you show up somewhere with a Lavender smelling gun, most likely. 
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Short Knife Johnson

I for one don't mind the "black licorice" smell.  Oddly enough, I can't stomach the taste of black licorice.

Yakima Red

Time to "man up" pards. Adulterating Ballistol is just plain wrong. Eather get used to the smell or move along. My wife prefers Ballistol over Hoppes #9.

BTW, do you know the secret to a long and blisful marrage? Two little words..................................

"Yes Dear"
Director, Colters Hell Justice Committee WSAS.
Wyoming Single Action Shooters.
SASS, NCOWS, NRA Life Endowment.
Certified NRA Firearms Instructor.
2008 NRA Wyoming volunteer of the year.
Creator of miracles.
"Let us then...under God, trust our cause to our swords. ~Samuel Adams

hellgate

"BTW, do you know the secret to a long and blisful marrage? Two little words.................................."

AMEN, brother!!
"Frontiersman: the only category where you can shoot your wad and play with your balls while tweeking the nipples on a pair of 44s." Canada Bill

Since I have 14+ guns, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap&Ball. Now, that's a COMPLIMENT!

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
Wolverton Mt. Peacekeepers
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

Cookie

Quote from: Delmonico on November 22, 2010, 05:23:31 PM
To the gun, most likey not, to your reputation when you show up somewhere with a Lavender smelling gun, most likely. 

ROFL!!! Good point!   ;D

In my defense, I was just trying to use examples that would please the "Lady Folks"!  :D

fourfingersofdeath

"different essential oils to perfume Ballistol"
Now you are joking aren't you???

I take my Black Powder guns and Ballistol out into the laundry so we don't get the unique aroma of essence of stink bug through the house.

I'm surprised that anyone would object to the smell of Hoppe's No9, and equally surprised that anyone would find Ballistol to be acceptable smell wise. Everyones different I suppose.
All my cowboy gun's calibres start with a 4! It's gotta be big bore and whomp some!

BOLD No: 782
RATS No: 307
STORM No:267

www.boldlawdawgs.com

Jefro

I like the smell of Ballistol :o............goes great on pancakes ;D

Jefro :)
sass # 69420....JEDI GF #104.....NC Soot Lord....CFDA#1362
44-40 takes a back seat to no other caliber

Yakima Red

Quote from: Jefro on November 24, 2010, 11:45:14 AM
I like the smell of Ballistol :o............goes great on pancakes ;D

Jefro :)

...and you can use it to brush your teeth! ;D
Director, Colters Hell Justice Committee WSAS.
Wyoming Single Action Shooters.
SASS, NCOWS, NRA Life Endowment.
Certified NRA Firearms Instructor.
2008 NRA Wyoming volunteer of the year.
Creator of miracles.
"Let us then...under God, trust our cause to our swords. ~Samuel Adams

Driftwood Johnson

Hey Johnboy:

Thanks for the ingredients. Should have known to look up the msds myself.

Frankly, I have never understood why folks object to the smell of Ballistol. It doesn't smell bad to me.

And I agree, it smells a lot better than Hoppes #9.
That's bad business! How long do you think I'd stay in operation if it cost me money every time I pulled a job? If he'd pay me that much to stop robbing him, I'd stop robbing him.

Ya probably inherited every penny ya got!

Delmonico

Quote from: Driftwood Johnson on November 27, 2010, 09:17:59 AM
Thanks for the ingredients. Should have known to look up the msds myself.

Why Pard you surprise me for not thinking of it, and now you have given away our little secret. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Dick Dastardly

The Ballistol in my Moosemilk spa looses it's fragrance as it ages.  It still works good, but it doesn't smell as strong.  I use the plastic Moosemilk spa to swim my sixguns in while I clean my long guns.  Found the spa at Wall Mart for about three bux.  Has a good lid and is just the right size for two sixguns.

DD-DLoS
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

Crow Choker

Yes John Boy, thank  you kindly. Buy the way, tried to register on your 'Open Range Forum', it wouldn't let me in because I'm with 'Yahoo' :( :'(, but I like yer forum, check on it daily, or when I can. Thank you for it. ;D Back to the post at hand. I for another like the smell of ballistol and Hoppe's #9. Almost hate to fire a round from a gun that has been wiped or swabbed down with either as, well nothing the big after-shave/cologne outfits produce smells as nice as the comination of ballistol and/or #9 with the smell of the woods and/or a river on a nice day. Taking a lead from Robert Duval in "Apoc. Now"--"Love the smell of ballistol in the morning"!!! ;D Heard a report that the smells or comination there of that women like have to do with the oders produced by baby powder, black licorice, and cucumbers-said it turned them on. Well heck--did they ever try ballistol or #9, bet it is the "Love Potion #9" the "Searchers" sang about back in the mid 60's. Another smell I like is to stick my nose in any of mine or any wooden acoustic guitars soundhole, now there's a smell that's worth doing it again. New magazines are another one, get a new one in the mail, first thing do do is open er' up and stick thee ol' snot-locker in for a wiff. Forget about the scratch an' sniff perfume ads. If any of ya don't do the same yer not being honest. Me hat goes off to my Ol' shooting pard from way back Mr. Jubal Starbuck for introducing me to ballistol many moons ago.  
Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo

August

Quote from: Crow Choker on November 27, 2010, 09:48:18 AM
Yes John Boy, thank  you kindly. Buy the way, tried to register on your 'Open Range Forum', it wouldn't let me in because I'm with 'Yahoo' :( :'(, but I like yer forum, check on it daily, or when I can. Thank you for it. ;D Back to the post at hand. I for another like the smell of ballistol and Hoppe's #9. Almost hate to fire a round from a gun that has been wiped or swabbed down with either as, well nothing the big after-shave/cologne outfits produce smells as nice as the comination of ballistol and/or #9 with the smell of the woods and/or a river on a nice day. Taking a lead from Robert Duval in "Apoc. Now"--"Love the smell of ballistol in the morning"!!! ;D Heard a report that the smells or comination there of that women like have to do with the oders produced by baby powder, black licorice, and cucumbers-said it turned them on. Well heck--did they ever try ballistol or #9, bet it is the "Love Potion #9" the "Searchers" sang about back in the mid 60's. Another smell I like is to stick my nose in any of mine or any wooden acoustic guitars soundhole, now there's a smell that's worth doing it again. New magazines are another one, get a new one in the mail, first thing do do is open er' up and stick thee ol' snot-locker in for a wiff. Forget about the scratch an' sniff perfume ads. If any of ya don't do the same yer not being honest. Me hat goes off to my Ol' shooting pard from way back Mr. Jubal Starbuck for introducing me to ballistol many moons ago.  
T.M.I.

john boy

QuoteBuy the way, tried to register on your 'Open Range Forum', it wouldn't let me in because I'm with 'Yahoo'
What was the error message trying to register using Yahoo?
As long as you are using a valid email address, there should be no issues. I see no *@yahoo.com addresses trapped in the spammer software and also no yahoo addresses in the Awaiting Activation
Regards
SHOTS Master John Boy

WartHog ...
Brevet 1st Lt, Scout Company, Department of the Atlantic
SASS  ~  SCORRS ~ OGB with Star

Devote Convert to BPCR

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com