Sometimes You Just Want to Give Up!

Started by Reverend, November 21, 2010, 11:20:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reverend

Sometimes You want to give up. I knew when I got up today I needed to go & Hide. I found a new 4 DVD set of John Bianchi Holster Making on E-bay last night. Now I live with the Queen of Ebay. I laid out all the info to her. She said she would take care of it. I ask her awhile ago & the look told me everything. It went for $26.00. SHE FORGOT, now if it was something for her.
          I started sewing around the skirt loop awhile ago & I believe the granddaughter will get BLACK thread. I cannot keep the white thread clean. How do you all keep your white thread so clean on all the beautiful holsters I have seen. Do you clean wax thread w /something after you finish. There is wax in the holes globbed everywhere. I use Chas,Tejas & others.

Rev
Sass 57116 L
Territorial Gov.
Tulsey Town Cattlemens Assoc.
NRA
GOFWG #215
ROI
ROII

JD Alan

Is your thread going through glue? If so you haven't let the glue dry throroughly. Same would be true concerning dye. Just some thoughts. Bummer about the Bianchi DVD's.   
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

Reverend

No I dyed 2 days ago, I glued yesterday. I think I will take a smalll or tiny brush & put some acrylic Resolene down the stiching groove & let dry. What do you use to clean the stitches after you have finished? With the extra wax. I use my Dremmel on a Dremmel drill press w/ 1/16" drill bit.

Rev
Sass 57116 L
Territorial Gov.
NRA
GOFWG #215
ROI
ROII

Dalton Masterson

I feel for you. My sis in law and wife were going to bid on a Ball pocket watch case for me last summer. I was even on the phone with them until about 5 minutes before the auction ended. I told them to bid 75.00 as they are a little pricey. It sold for 36 or something like that.
BUT, I sure didnt win it. They forgot/got busy talking/etc.... ::)

Not sure what to tell you about your thread....
DM

SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

Slowhand Bob

I had the same problem for years and finally solved it, I started sewing with a machine!  Not really trying to be a SA but that was my only solution after many years of trying.  Its just hard on the thread all the way around when the same length is being pulled through tight holes hundreds of times.  I know we have a couple of really impressive hand stitchers here who might know that answer for us.

Dalton Masterson

Rev,
Run your overstitch wheel over the thread once and see what happens. That tends to whiten up my thread some, recompressing the fibers or something.
Worth a try anyway.
DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

Reverend

Thanks for listening. I believe a machine is the ticket. I knew down inside, that would help my problem. I have had one picked out, Slowhand & I have discussed it. But, every time I get our rathole money for extras saved up  something either breaks, falls apart, or one of us gets sick. Kat won't let me touch the Savings. I know you all have been there on this one.. It will come sooner than later. Well got to get to sewing. They have to be done buy Saturday. I will post complete outfit when done.

Thanks for listening

Rev
Sass 57116 L
Territorial Gov.
NRA
GOFWG #215
ROI
ROII

Slowhand Bob

Reverend, persevere my friend and stick to the plan, do not go cheap to get just any machine sooner.  I know I waited a long time and I am sure most others did also.  As far as the hand sewing problem, I know there is a solution out there but I just never solved it myself.  I remember pictures of some of the rigs, way back when, and the stitches were sewn with large ropey white thread on black leather and I have no doubt that many were hand sewn.  A couple of thoughts, try unwaxed thread, use shorter lengths with splices, slightly larger holes, try punched and drilled holes to see if one works better and lets hope one of our top hands, that are hand sewing gurus, chime in.

GunClick Rick

Well snap out of it! What are ya,a man or a mouse!Am i gonna have ta muss ya up?Pull yourself up..now get back oput there and pitch a no hitter...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1CXpKE-PkU&feature=related
Bunch a ole scudders!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com