Advice on conversions

Started by Leo Tanner, November 20, 2010, 04:33:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leo Tanner

I'm still shooting C&B but am looking for a conversion for my wife.  Anyone who's got an opinion on the best version of one, I'd be more than happy to hear it.  I have seen several in my search and wonder which way is the best to go.

Thanks, Leo.
"When you have to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk."
     Tuco--The Good the Bad and the Ugly

"First comes smiles, then lies.  Last is gunfire."
     Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Fingers McGee

Cimarron's Man-With-No-Name conversion.  Looks like a C&B .36 cal 1851 Navy; but shoots .38 specials - and very well I might add.  Bought mine from Buffalo Arms.

FM
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee;
SASS Regulator 28654 - L - TG; NCOWS 3638
AKA Man of many Colts; Diabolical Ken's alter ego; stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer; Rangemaster
Founding Member - Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Member - Southern Missouri Rangers;
NRA Patron Life: GOA; CCRKBA; SAF; SV-114 (CWO4 ret); STORM 327

"Cynic:  A blackguard whose faulty vision sees thing as they are, not as they should be"  Ambrose Bierce

Leo Tanner

Thanks Fingers, that was the one I had my eye on.  I am up to my elbows in .38 rounds and she likes the look and feel of my 51.  I will do some research and see if I can't come up with one.

Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Abilene

Sometimes those can be hard to find.  Next "best" option would be the 1851 Richards-Mason conversion.  No rammer but it does have an ejector and comes in various barrel lengths.   Uberti also makes the 1860 Type II Richards in .38 if you like that style of barrel.  The frame and cylinder on the .38 version is actually the same as the '51 Richards-Mason (no rebated cylinder), but it only comes with the Army grip.

Leo Tanner

My search started with an RM so that is still a contender in the fight.  Thank you for the input.  Just realized how close Christmas was and I would like to find a good gun for my bride.

Roland Deschain

Flint

Don't ignore the 72 Opentop, though the barrel is round, so it looks more like a 60/61 Colt, it is as good looking as a conversion, but if you need an octagonal barrel, the choice is more limited.

They are the best pointing revolvers you can handle, and hardly need sights.
The man who beats his sword into a plowshare shall farm for the man who did not.

SASS 976, NRA Life
Los Vaqueros and Tombstone Ghost Riders, Tucson/Tombstone, AZ.
Alumnus of Hole in the Wall Gang, Piru, CA, Panorama Sportsman's Club, Sylmar, CA, Ojai Desperados, Ojai, CA, SWPL, Los Angeles, CA

Coffinmaker

For a conversion for a gal, my choice would be the Richards Mason conversion in .38.  For the same "look" and point ability, you can't beat the 1872 Open Top.  The Open Top is also more versatile.  Should you choose, on down the road you can change caliber by changing the barrel and cylinder.  Can't do that with the other conversion/Open Top Guns.

Nice thing is, in any of them, you can order them with any barrel length.  I like short barrels and the balance of the short barrel guns is superb.  There is some tweeking that is necessary on the Conversion/Open Top guns, but once set up they can't be beat.

Coffinmaker

Hoof Hearted

Just a thought.........

Why not buy a Kirst drop in for one of yer guns and let the wifee try it ;)
Anonymity breeds bravado.......especially over the internet!
http://cartridgeconversion.com
http://heelbasebullet.com
aka: Mayor Maynot KILLYA SASS #8038
aka: F. Alexander Thuer NCOWS #3809
STORM #400

Leo Tanner

Thanks folks, I been looking into all of these.  The 72 looks good so far but the Kirst idea sounds good too.  She had her heart set on the RM but we will sit down and look at all the options online.  Hope you are all having a good Thanksgiving.

Roland Deschain

Messerist

Whoa son!  Don't never go agin' what a woman has her heart set on! ;D  I vote for the OT 72.

Leo Tanner

Quote from: Messerist on December 08, 2010, 03:52:04 PM
Whoa son!  Don't never go agin' what a woman has her heart set on! ;D 

Good point!

Roland Deschain

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com