Embossed Cowboy Cuffs

Started by David Carrico, November 18, 2010, 11:36:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Carrico

I've been playing with my new embosser! Well, new to me, it was probably made in the 40's. The machine came from an old saddleshop in Oregon. I got about 25 different embossing rollers with it. If you study leather items of the 1880's and newer, you will notice a lot of the saddlemakers embossed holsters, belts, saddles, saddlebags, etc. Just another step toward "making them like they used to!"

GunClick Rick

I gotta get me a pair of those,looks like you got a good one..I met a guy in San Francisco once that had an old penny roller from way back,just the mechanics no box,i still have the penny he stamped and the detail is alot better than the new ones you see now...I was impressed,i have a collection of stamped pennys and the one he did sets out from the rest.

Looks like ya got a good one~
Bunch a ole scudders!

David Carrico

Thanks! I have a collection of smashed pennies too! Here's a pic of the machine and the die I used on the cuffs. The pattern is actually five dies stacked together: Small outside border, doule line, floral, double line, and outside border.

Slowhand Bob

David, that is one powerful looking embosser there, just dawnt start a collection of mashed fingers!!!  Now we know where Tippmann got the idea for their newest machine.  I see you have the corner transitions figured out, any chance you have the matching hand stamps also?

Dalton Masterson

Very nice embossing David! Old tools are way cool to use.
DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

JD Alan

David, that is one cool machine, and it does a super job. Being here in Oregon, I'm curious as to what shop or part of Oregon did you get that monster from?

The largest concentration of saddle shops in the state is 4 hours east of Portland in Pendleton. That's horse and cattle country for sure. The Pendleton Round Up is the biggest rodeo anywhere around this area, and the Pendleton woolen mill is still producing all sorts of products, including those famous Pendleton shirts I grew up with.

Once again, nice find and nice work.     
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

David Carrico

Thanks everyone! JD, It came out of Rogue River, OR. It was the Grandson that I purchased it from. They had inherited it. Not sure if the Grandfather was in the same area or not. It weighs 220 lbs. My shop is in the loft of a barn, so I carried that beast upstairs!

JD Alan

I wouldn't want to arm wrestle you David! The Rogue River area is known for fishing and white water rafting, but a saddle shop could be located anywhere. It sure produces a nice impression.

Thanks for the info, JD
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

Marshal Will Wingam

That embosser really works great. What fun it has to be to run that. Very cool cuffs. I'm impressed.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Curley Cole

David
Nice lookin

Ricky
I too have a collection of smashed pennies. Also have some nickels and several quarters including one that Mike E. handed out to "special" guests on the opening day of California Adventure.

some of the things we collect...

curley
Scars are tatoos with better stories.
The Cowboys
Silver Queen Mine Regulators
dammit gang

GunClick Rick

;D I started a booger collection once but could'nt pick the one i liked best. :D
Bunch a ole scudders!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com