Oh Boy Oh Boy!

Started by santee, November 12, 2010, 08:01:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

santee

Trading an older pistola in on a '71 open top conversion in 5.5" (drool, drool).
Wondering what kinda holster I should make for an early 1880's cowpoke. Seriously, I've memorized almost every page of Packing Iron, but gettin' stuck.

Throw out an idea or two and get my creative juices flowing, pards.
Historian at Old Tucson
SASS #2171
STORM #371
RATS #431
True West Maniac #1261

WaddWatsonEllis

Samtee,

You picked an era where change was so rife in holster design ... I would guess it would depend on the location and the money available to that cowpoke.

The Slim Jim had been around for probably over 30 years ... and might be the most available (read cheap) holster available ... especially the stamped ones through places like Sears Roebuck catalogs and such.

Texas wise, the Mexican single loop holster was dominant.

Then on the Northern Plains, the Cheyenne style was the rage ....

So I thin your personna might define where you are going with this...
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Buck Stinson

The Colt Open Top was only available for a couple of years.  Do you want to pretend you purchased one new or used?  If you purchased it new in 1872 or 1873, then the Slim Jim would be the holster correct for that period.  If you purchased this gun on the used market, say late 1870's early 1880's, then either a Mexican loop or a Slim Jim style would work.  There are many original holsters from my collection pictured in Packing Iron.  One of them is the Main & Winchester Slim Jim on page 79 with the original paper work and 1851 Navy.  I have another Main & Winchester that is nearly identical to this one, but made for an open top.  The gun, serial number 11 is just about as early as you can get.  Gun and holster have been together probably since they were new.   When a customer calls me and wants a holster for a specific vintage handgun, the first thing I'll ask is what era do you want to portray.  To me it's important to have the gun and gear match for time period.  When I make holsters for my own use, I always pick a style that goes with the vintage of the gun.  Hope this will help.

santee

Buck, I agree with matching the time period. That's why I was not thinking of the 49er type holster (although it's purty).

WWE, got me thinking about this fellow...I think it would be whatever he could afford. So, let's say a used one. So, going with that idea, the cowboy may have to get a used holster, too...like a Slim Jim. Maybe that Pistolero one that Will Ghormley has on his site would look cool.

Good ideas, fellas. Thanks for the input. I knew you could help.
Historian at Old Tucson
SASS #2171
STORM #371
RATS #431
True West Maniac #1261

WaddWatsonEllis

Santee,

I have this Slim Jim that Will Ghormley made for me  ... and the carving is taken from a Maine & Winchester pattern .... I believe of the 1880s ...might be just the ticket for you ... that is a '51 Colt in the holster, but I think any Open Top Colt will fit

My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

NCOWS #3403

santee

Nice. That could look good in a 5 1/2" barrel length.
Historian at Old Tucson
SASS #2171
STORM #371
RATS #431
True West Maniac #1261

WaddWatsonEllis

Santee,

Actually, I think the pattern is out of Packing Iron ...

But if you like it, give Will a call ... he has always been very kind to m ...

http://willghormley-maker.com/

Might I also sugget that you consider one of his belt buckles?  The price is about half of what I have seen elsewhere, and they are cast bronze, white bronze or silver .... I am putting one of them on a holster set I am making, and they really set off the rig!

BTW, here is a pattern of for that holster ... I believe you can print it up and it will  come out just the right size if you want to try your hand at it ...Chuck Burrows DVD shows a blow by blow for a Slim Jim .... it defintely looks doable

NCOWS #3403

GunClick Rick

Bunch a ole scudders!

santee

Nice stuff, Rick! That's the color I like, man.
WWE, thanks for all the input. Still considering the slim jim...gonna have to give it some thought.
Historian at Old Tucson
SASS #2171
STORM #371
RATS #431
True West Maniac #1261

Cliff Fendley

Rick, an open top '51 colt actually fits that single six holster pattern very well so you can use that holster for that also. That holster for a 6.5 inch single six is the right length for a 5.5 inch colt open top and your holster for the 9 1/2 single six is about an inch longer than it needs to be for the 7 1/2 inch barrel open top. Now if you don't have one that is a good excuse to buy another gun ;D
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

GunClick Rick

Made by Cliff i should say..

That's what i call thinkin ahead Cliff ;D
Bunch a ole scudders!

Springfield Slim

A little longer than you need but this is what my 72 opentops ride in these days.
Full time Mr. Mom and part time leatherworker and bullet caster

santee

Purty. Diggin' that incising.
Historian at Old Tucson
SASS #2171
STORM #371
RATS #431
True West Maniac #1261

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

We have nice work being shown here, keep it up pards

tEN Wolves  :D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Dalton Masterson

Here is what my wifes Opentops ride in. They are Cheyenne style with a rounded loop instead of a straight loop.
I used the pattern for a 51 Navy, and then added a hair for the ejector rod.
DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Real nice Dalton, bet the wife is real happy with those.

tEN wOLVES  :D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Boothill Bob

Howdy Santee..
I love the Slim Jim holster from Ghormleys pattern, its also on page 93 in Packing Iron.
I think those are beautiful om a open top  :D
Shoot fast and aim straight

SASS#83079 SWS#1246

santee

Great stuff, Dalton!

Bob, got one just like that I made from Will's pattern for my Colt. Of course, your incising looks better than mine!  ;D
I have already cut out a 5 1/2" version of that very holster (in the fridge casing right now).

Now I'm deciding what to stamp on it. If I'm going for the economic cowboy, better just do it up with a plain border. Might even distress it a good bit to look well worn.

I'll keep you posted.

Historian at Old Tucson
SASS #2171
STORM #371
RATS #431
True West Maniac #1261

KidTerico

Dalton that is a nice set of holsters you made for your wife . BB great looking holster you made for yourself. KT
Cheer up things could be worse, sure enough I cheered up and they got worse.

WaddWatsonEllis

Santee,

If you are going the inexpensive cowboy route, I think the Slim Jim would be perfect ...

And some kind of combination of double edge lines and a border print would be something that could have been done with a sharpenened nail and hand made stamps to form a nice border pattern.... like on page 82 of 'Packing Iron' ... one could look around and probably find some stamps that would look good right now in your shop ... The Slim Jim is such a narrow holster that it does well with a border stamp ...

For instance, Will Ghormley uses the Tandy D617 on corners and the D439 in  between on the Johnny Ringo ...  so with two stamps, an edge cutter and a stylus and ruler you could decorat the whole holster ... take a look:

http://willghormley-maker.com/MakingRingoRig.html

NCOWS #3403

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com