What Leather Thickness for??

Started by WaddWatsonEllis, November 08, 2010, 11:51:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WaddWatsonEllis

Hi,

It occurred to me that ther is probably a table available on the internet that has the prefererred thicknesses (and grades as well as long as I am dreaming...)

Anyone have some suggestions?
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

ChuckBurrows

Leather Grades for bark/veg tan
http://www.hermannoakleather.com/
Click on Specification Guide on the left and then click on Grading at the top - grading is based on how clean and free of range marks/brands the face of the hide is - the cleaner the face the higher the grade which can be either numerical or alphabetical or standar, utility, etc.. You'll also see a TR grade which stands for Tannery Grade - and is basically a grab bag grade.

Thickness - all depends on the end product and whether one is copying originals as close as possible or making for the CAS market so no charts that I know of other than those explaining that 1 oz of leather is equal to 1/64".
The standard for single thickness (i.e. unlined) holsters and belts is and has been for a long time 8/9 oz - in period many were more 7/8 oz and some even thinner (the real thin ones were sometimes called chicken skin rigs).
Old West money belts were generally 3/4 oz bark tan although some today use the thicker 4/5 oz and in period some were very lightweight at 2/3 oz. Heiser and some others post 1880 or so also used chrome tan chap hide.
aka Nolan Sackett
Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith

Slowhand Bob

Remember, in a perfect world grades would be universal but the reality I have found one sellers grade to be far different from anothers and to some extent weight/measurements can vary somewhat also.  Some will advertise 'thickness consistent throughout' and it will definitely not be.  Some years back I ordered well over a thousand dollars worth of 8/9oz 'good grade' leather from a well known supplier and what I received was between 10 and 14oz with loose spongy nap all the way through to the back of the epidermis.  I learned a good lesson, always see the product, to select from, OR at least order small the first time so you will know how the seller grades his leather.

PS: still got a couple or so of those old hides around-

WaddWatsonEllis

Chuck,

Thank you for the website; I browsed it quickly 'cause I am off to Loaves and Fishes, but I also put it on my 'Favorite List' so that I can get back to it ...

Slim,

Thank you for the caution ...

I found myself needing some black pre-dyed 8-9 oz material to make a holster. When I put a 'whine thread' about the need, JD suggested Standing Bear Trading Post, which WC operates.

To make the story short, WC hand picked the hide I wanted, and has sent almost all my leather supplies to me. A quick call to them usually has my kit on it's way in 24-48 hours, and I have had them suggest that I would be better pleased with a slightly better product ... in short, they look out for their patrons the way few businesses do, and I will choose them to buy from because they have my best interests at heart (rather than just making a sale) ... I really can't say enough nice things about them ...
Their web site is:

http://sbearstradingpost.com/
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com