A Slippery Problem

Started by JD Alan, October 31, 2010, 07:09:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JD Alan

It's been a while since I've done much carving, and now I'm working on another guitar strap. To get the flower right I've been practicing on short strips the correct width, but here's the problem: those slippery buggers are moving all over the granite. I'm having a heck of a time with beveling and such, pinning that thing down. I tried gluing it down to a piece of plexi, but then they both scooted around.

Prior to this I've worked on big enough pieces that I didn't have a problem. It seems like a simple thing, but it's getting irritating. If anyone has a good way they anchor things like this down I'd sure like to hear about it. 

Thanks a lot, JD
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

outrider

dampen the back of the strap
Outrider  (formerly "Dusty Dick" out of PA.)
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

knucklehead

JD,

get yourself some deer skin, glue or needle and thread and some lead shot.
cut a shape circle or cyclinder 2 each. glue it up into 3 sides add shot glue last side or sew it all.
place on corner of your leather piece and that should help in keeping the piece from slipping.

my deer skin weight is just glued together and it works wonders for me.
I'M #330 DIRTY RAT.

Devil Anse Hatfield

we used to glue small pieces to x ray film works well and doesnt allow leather to get out of shape

JD Alan

Thanks Outrider. Gee, wet the back; why don't I think of things like that?

Leon, that's a great idea as well, I appreciate it, and D.A.H. I appreciate yours as well
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

Boothill Bob

I use to glue small projects to a piece of carboard whith rubber cement,
then they are much easyer to handel and the leather dont stretch.
Hope it helps JD.
Shoot fast and aim straight

SASS#83079 SWS#1246

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com