Basket stamping How to???

Started by Boothill Bob, October 24, 2010, 02:26:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boothill Bob

Howdy pards/pardetts
I have a problem that u can solve for me..
If I´m making a project with a carving in the center and basket stamping round it.
How will I line upp the basket stamping so it fit together when they meet on the
outher sides, do I have to draw some special guidelines? .. Strait through is ok, but when I working my way down I cant make
them fit together  >:(
Shoot fast and aim straight

SASS#83079 SWS#1246

Springfield Slim

Most items I've seen, and the method I personally use, is to make the basket weave at an angle as it is so difficult to keep it perfectly straight and meet evenly on the other side. No reason it has to be straight, looks just as good or better angled.
Full time Mr. Mom and part time leatherworker and bullet caster

knucklehead

Chan Geer(the instructor for sheridan carving) suggested to stamp out the basketweave on another piece of leather about same size and same angle as the project you are going to do.
then using tracing film draw/trace the basketweave stamps/angle on it.
design the center you want to carve then use the basketweave tracing to align your baskweave around the center design.

i haven't tried it yet, but it sounds like it will work.

I'M #330 DIRTY RAT.

Freedom

I use a piece of aluminum door moulding (or something :P).... it is just a straight edge that is equal to 3 widths of my basket stamp... this way I can keep things on line and have a good correction line every three rows. Just use anything that will keep you on line. Mark a light line top and bottom of your center carving.

Make sure you do the basket one line/row at a time...  as thge line/row comes around your center it will be pretty easy to get things back on line if done this way.....DON"T try to go accross the bottom and up the other side to meet in the middle at the top ;D

Hope this helps and if it makes no sense just PM me and I'll try to do a better job
www.7xleather.com ...Cowboy and Muzzle loading Gear

Springfield Slim

Knucklehead: Sounds like twice as much work, don't really think that would be the best way to go for me. A few alignment lines like Freedom said is usually plenty good.
Full time Mr. Mom and part time leatherworker and bullet caster

Boothill Bob

Tanx for all the tips pards, I will try them and see what works for me.
Shoot fast and aim straight

SASS#83079 SWS#1246

knucklehead

Quote from: Springfield Slim on October 27, 2010, 10:54:24 AM
Knucklehead: Sounds like twice as much work, don't really think that would be the best way to go for me. A few alignment lines like Freedom said is usually plenty good.

yea it does sound like twice as much work.
but it does allow you to practice the basketweave stamping and be able to see how the angle you choose will look.
you can also use this more than one time.

i agree for the more experienced people that this will be more work than is needed. i have yet to do a basketweave design with carving right in the middle so i may do this to help me see how the pattern will continue on.
for me it really helps to be able to see the design on something other than in my mind.

I'M #330 DIRTY RAT.

Freedom

I just finished a  basket tooled saddle fork and this is where it gets challenging :D... as you go around curves the stamp will change lengths on the long curves and get shorter on the tight spots...

Freedom

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Beautiful work as always Freedom, thanks for the look see and sharing with us.

tEN wOLVES  ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Marshal Will Wingam

Freedom, that is beautiful. I like the contrast between the BW and the simple meander stamp border. Thanks for the pics.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

KidTerico

Freedom great job on the saddle. KT
Cheer up things could be worse, sure enough I cheered up and they got worse.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com