Thinking outside the box ???

Started by Chuck 100 yd, October 23, 2010, 05:05:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck 100 yd

Out in my shop today I got to thinking.....  In making holsters, cutting them out is my hardest part. You see, I have Tendinitis from years of working at one position and doing the same motion.

I have tried all sorts of knifes and with and without guides. Getting a clean square cut for the entire piece is for me very difficult.

Well, today I was dinking around and came up with an idea. I put a 1/8" scroll saw blade on my 14" Delta band saw and began to cut figures out of 10 oz. leather just as slick as can be.
I cut out pieces for 3 holsters in just a few minutes.
For me this is going to make the hobby much more fun.

There are those who will want to string me up for not doing it the old fangled way but They will have to catch me first!!  ;D ;D ;D

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Chuck, if that works for you and allows you to continue to work with leather, then I say more power to you, a lot of us that have issues have had to adapt different ways to accomplish the same thing, I have a bum hand myself, and have learned to work around it. using a thin band saw blade to cut your leather will just mean a little more smoothing of your edges, but I would say you should be able to come out pretty well, if sewing is also a problem, you can use a 1/16" drill bit in a Dremmel tool to make your holes first, that might ease things up for you also, I use this method when sewing very thick leather pieces together. Good luck to you pard.

Thanks for sharing this with us

tEN wOLVES  :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Slowhand Bob

Chuck, another consideration might be a home made clicker press.  Weaver sells a small ready to go model but with a little effort one could be built from the Harbor Freight 20ton press that would be able to handle much heavier duty work.  I posted a picture from the Weaver catalog some several months ago on these boards.  I can get along with cutting leather pretty well but had to get a sewing machine a few years back due to my hands and I am happy to report that my hands have improved greatly now that I seldom hand sew more than an occasional small project.

GunClick Rick

Next thing ya know you'll be movin to Mexico! Mmmmm-mmm-mmm,a tangled web we weave~~~ :D
Bunch a ole scudders!

Major 2

I used to make replica M59 McClellan for CW Cav reenactors.... I used my bandsaw, Course I was using thick harness leather and thought it was what everbody did  :-\
when planets align...do the deal !

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com