Questions about dies for Uberti Rifles

Started by Rafe Covington, October 22, 2010, 01:51:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rafe Covington

I was shopping for dies for 40-60 and 50-95 Winchester rifles. I slugged my 40-60 and it measures .406, just curious if should get .406 or .408 dies, I have heard both .406 and .408 mentioned concerning this caliber. I don't want to have to buy 2 sets of dies. On the 50-95 die sets they mention Uberti rifles or the originals, I thought they were both .512. I sure would appreciate other peoples opinions on this before I buy the wrong dies.

I have never shot replicas of older model rifles with blackpowder or a substitute so don't want to spend any money I don't have to, work to hard to waste it.

Thanks
buffalohunter
If there is nothing in your life worth dying for than you are already dead

john boy

QuoteI have never shot replicas of older model rifles with blackpowder or a substitute ...
BH, your wanting to shoot black powder answers the questions.  With a 406 groove, buy the 408 dies.  Why?  So the bullet will obturate better in the grooves
Regards
SHOTS Master John Boy

WartHog ...
Brevet 1st Lt, Scout Company, Department of the Atlantic
SASS  ~  SCORRS ~ OGB with Star

Devote Convert to BPCR

ndnchf

If you have an Uberti .50-95, I recommend the CH4D Uberti .50-95 dies.  They work great with mine.  Groove/bore diameter varies a lot with these rifles, so its best to slug the bore to see what you have.  Mine has a .5137' groove diameter.  Tell CH4D what your groove/bore size is and they can provide the correct expander plug.   
"We're all travelers in this world.  From the sweet grass to the packing house, birth till death, we travel between the eternities"  Prentiss Ritter, Broken Trail

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com