How many have needed a higher front sight on their 1876 SRC?

Started by Hobie, October 17, 2010, 08:07:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grizzly Adams

Quote from: Hobie on November 01, 2010, 06:30:40 AM
The lump is on and blackened.  I will refine it after some preliminary shooting. 

Aim small, miss small. ;)
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Veteran!
COMNAVFORV, NRA life, SASS Life, TG, STORM Rider #36.
GAF

Hobie

Ok, so after much consideration and reasoned examination of the various options for permanent, semi-permanent and genuinely temporary fixes I decided to try the JB Weld method. After all, it has the seal of approval from the local red-neck crowd (some actually suggested using carefully applied and folded duct tape!).

The end result was higher front sight that resembles a mid-19th century bayonet lug more than a front sight HOWEVER I took it out today and I was able to bust head to fist size rocks at about 90-80 yards with it from the off hand position using the TEN-X ammo I took with me. FWIW, 2 Pyrodex loads I also tried seemed to strike about 2-3" lower at the same range. Kinda hard to see through the smoke though. :lol: As long as the sight stays on, it is good enough for this years deer hunt!
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson

Grizzly Adams

I think that what we used to call  good ole American  ingenuity. ;)
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Veteran!
GAF

Hobie

I used the file on my Leatherman tool to zero it and re-blackened the front sight with soot from the Pyrodex ammo.   ;D  Went through about $50 worth of factory ammo and it hasn't flown off yet.  We'll see. 
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson

Hobie

Have been out hunting with the rifle.  You can see that bayonet lug of a front sight in dark woods and through the rain, I know that now.  However, I haven't been so lucky as to see a deer much less a legal deer with it in hand.  Have 3 days left to hunt next week.  I'm thinking I may quit work next year just so I can hunt.   ;)
Sincerely,

Hobie

Grizzly Adams

Quote from: Hobie on November 18, 2010, 05:19:37 PM
I'm thinking I may quit work next year just so I can hunt.   ;)

Now, THAT;s a plan! ;D 

Hope  you find that deer, Hobie. :)
GAF

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com