How many have needed a higher front sight on their 1876 SRC?

Started by Hobie, October 17, 2010, 08:07:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hobie

Mine is a Chaparral.  I like it.  However, it shoots WAY high at any "normal" range.  Even allowing that the sights are intended to hit a man out to 200+ yards by holding on the belt buckle, it shoots high.  For hunting I'm just not happy with it. 

So, what I need is a higher front sight.  The ultimate fix would be to mill the top of the sight block flat and slot it for a new blade of the proper height which would be pinned in place.  However, I don't want to commit to that just yet and I've been casting about for a reversable fix that would last through this hunting season.   

So, have you found this to be a problem?  If so, what was your solution?
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson

Stillwater

Quote from: Hobie on October 17, 2010, 08:07:02 AM
Mine is a Chaparral.  I like it.  However, it shoots WAY high at any "normal" range.  Even allowing that the sights are intended to hit a man out to 200+ yards by holding on the belt buckle, it shoots high.  For hunting I'm just not happy with it. 

So, what I need is a higher front sight.  The ultimate fix would be to mill the top of the sight block flat and slot it for a new blade of the proper height which would be pinned in place.  However, I don't want to commit to that just yet and I've been casting about for a reversable fix that would last through this hunting season.   

Hobie:
I haven't had a chance to look closely at an 1876 Winchester just yet, so I will ask this question.

From your post, it sounds like the front sight isn't dovetailed into the barrel, is that correct?

What caliber is your 1876?

I want to closely look at an 1876 to determine of the action will support rechambering, or relining and rechambering, to .40-65. If the rifle won't support that modification, I'll have to pick up another Marlin 1895 Cowboy rifle and modify that rifle.

I just picked up an unfired 1866 Winchester Saddle Ring carbine, in .44-40, on which the front sight is part of the front barrel band. I don't like that very much.

I'm going to have the front sight machined off of the barrel band (I'll get a replacement band, saving the original) and then have the barrel, ahead of the barrel band, dovetailed so I can add a Marbles front sight, of the proper height, with a very fine brass bead.

Also Brownells, on their web site (somewhere), has a formula for determining proper front sight height.

Bll

Hell-Er High Water

Hobie,
I have 2 Chaparral M'76 saddle ring carbines, both with the NWMP full length forearm.

The 45-75 has the front sight integral with the barrel.  On it, I installed a Lyman tang sight for the Model 1886 Winchester.  Hole spacing was the same on both my original M'86 and the Chaparral M'76.

The 45-60 has the front sight dovetailed in the barrel.  On this one, if needed the front sight could be built up or otherwise modified.  It's tang is also drilled and tapped for a sight so a M'86 tang sight could be installed here also if needed.  I haven't done enough with this rifle to see yet where it shoots.

These are some thoughts for you anyway.

HHW

Mossyrock

Quote from: Hobie on October 17, 2010, 08:07:02 AM

Hobie,

JB weld is your friend.  Make a dam out of masking tape, build up the sight, wait for it to dry and shape with a file.  "Blue" it with a Majic Marker.   Done!

Mossyrock

"We thought about it for a long time... 'Endeavor to persevere.' And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union."

Lone Watie

Hobie

So many thought that JB Weld was the way to go that I did as suggested.  I'm still waiting on it to set up.   ::)  Do ya think a little heat would help?
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson

frimath

Yep...............had to add onto both an original '76 Carbine  (British proofed in 45-75) AND A Uberti RCMP model also in 45-75......the original was done by creating a "hood" over the original sight and then silver soldered on for easy removal upon sale. The Uberti was done by just silver soldering an extension onto the already existing sight and then filing down for the load(s) that shot the best....................I really, really like my Uberti now that I got it shooting pretty darn good!

Lobojack

Sir Charles deMouton-Black

Hobie;  I could never figure out the trajectory on my Chappie NWMP carbine until I tried holding a "fine bead".

My sight picture is just the tip of the frontsight at the bottom of the wide V rear notch.  It looks like a tiny seed, a bit taller than its width.  When I do that, the Spanish Metre sight settings are right on out to 300 yards.  I havn't tried it farther, yet.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, "History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme."

Hobie

Quote from: Sir Charles deMouton-Black on October 21, 2010, 09:58:25 PM
Hobie;  I could never figure out the trajectory on my Chappie NWMP carbine until I tried holding a "fine bead".

My sight picture is just the tip of the frontsight at the bottom of the wide V rear notch.  It looks like a tiny seed, a bit taller than its width.  When I do that, the Spanish Metre sight settings are right on out to 300 yards.  I havn't tried it farther, yet.
Yes, I take a FINE bead and it is still shooting way high.  The truth is that it would be perfect on a standing man to beyond 225 yards without raising the ladder.  Just hold on the belt buckle! I considered just getting a Marbles tang sight but the front sight is so short that with the tang sight properly adjusted you could not see the front sight through the aperture.  A higher front sight would seem to be the thing.  However, perhaps it is the particular load(s) I'm using and that is why I want a TEMPORARY change. 

Sincerely,

Hobie

Mossyrock

Mossyrock

"We thought about it for a long time... 'Endeavor to persevere.' And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union."

Lone Watie

Hobie

Sincerely,

Hobie

Hobie

Sincerely,

Hobie

Mossyrock

OK...your ratio of "steel" to "hardener" is off.  JB weld will reach final hardness in 24 hours.  If it doesn't, it won't.  Peel it off, clean the area with acetone, and start over, making VERY sure the amount from both tubes is as equal as you can make them.  It will work!  In the last 48 hours, I have used JB Weld to lengthen the arbor on an Uberti 1851 Navy and partially fill the full-cock notch on the hammer to lighten the trigger pull.  Very useful stuff!
Mossyrock

Lone Watie

Hobie

Sincerely,

Hobie

Hobie

Got some new product.  Trying again.  For some reason it looks different mixed.  It shouldn't, don't know what happened. 
Sincerely,

Hobie

Hobie

New stuff is setting right up.  Anyone ever hear of JB Weld getting too old?  Anyway, I'm on my way. 
Sincerely,

Hobie

Grizzly Adams

Quote from: Hobie on October 27, 2010, 06:07:45 PM
New stuff is setting right up.  Anyone ever hear of JB Weld getting too old?  Anyway, I'm on my way. 

Well, that happens with Silly Putty! :D 

Just kidding, Hobie. ;D
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Veteran!
COMNAVFORV, NRA life, SASS Life, TG, STORM Rider #36.
GAF

Hobie

That's funny right there! 

It has set up well enough to pull the tape and I squared it up some but will let it cure a bit more before continuing with shaping. 
Sincerely,

Hobie

Mossyrock

Quote from: Hobie on October 28, 2010, 07:35:53 AM
That's funny right there! 

It has set up well enough to pull the tape and I squared it up some but will let it cure a bit more before continuing with shaping. 

To quote the great philosopher John "Hannibal" Smith, "I love it when a plan comes together!"
Mossyrock

Lone Watie

Hobie

Timing is such that I won't get to shoot it until next Tuesday...   ;)  he, he, he...
Sincerely,

Hobie

Hobie

The lump is on and blackened.  I will refine it after some preliminary shooting. 
Sincerely,

Hobie

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com