CVA shotgun

Started by Drayton Calhoun, October 14, 2010, 11:03:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drayton Calhoun

I have an old CVA shotgun I built from a kit long 'bout twenty-five years ago. Problem is, left barrel fires fine, right one, not so much. I realize not a whole lotta folks shoot caplock scatterguns here, but just trying to figure out a solution. Also, last I heard, caplock shotguns were not covered by minimum barrel length specified by law for ctg guns. Is this still the case? I'm wanting to set it up as a Confederate scout shotgun, more as an accessory than a competition gun.
The first step of becoming a good shooter is knowing which end the bullet comes out of and being on the other end.

Major 2

Quote from: Drayton Calhoun on October 14, 2010, 11:03:30 AM
I have an old CVA shotgun I built from a kit long 'bout twenty-five years ago. Problem is, left barrel fires fine, right one, not so much. I realize not a whole lotta folks shoot caplock scatterguns here, but just trying to figure out a solution. Also, last I heard, caplock shotguns were not covered by minimum barrel length specified by law for ctg guns. Is this still the case? I'm wanting to set it up as a Confederate scout shotgun, more as an accessory than a competition gun.

bout the onliest things that would effect the firing is Nipple length or the nipple is seated to deep and the hammer is not striking well,  or a to small fire hole in said nipple or clogged ,
Hammer Spring to light perhaps
I'd say after you chased the fire hole ( is that the right word ? ) and check the two nipples as to OAL.
I check the depth of the nipple seat....
18 1/4 is legal in Cartridge Shotty's , but a cop having a bad day might hassle you.
Being as how muzzle loaders are non guns, the 18 1/4 may not apply, But that same cop might think otherwise. More hassle than it's worth proving him wrong.
when planets align...do the deal !

Lucky R. K.

Problem is, left barrel fires fine, right one, not so much

You did not say what was hapening or not happening.  Does the cap break ever or only now and then?  What happens when you pull the trigger?

Lucky  ;D
Greene County Regulators       Life NRA             SCORRS
High Country Cowboys            SASS #79366
Gunpowder Creek Regulators   Dirty RATS #568

The Wind is Your Friend

Drayton Calhoun

Quote from: Lucky R. K. on October 14, 2010, 02:53:47 PM
Problem is, left barrel fires fine, right one, not so much

You did not say what was hapening or not happening.  Does the cap break ever or only now and then?  What happens when you pull the trigger?

Lucky  ;D
Should have clarified, usually it will fire on the second try. I have replaced nipples, even went to a musket nipple, same thing.
The first step of becoming a good shooter is knowing which end the bullet comes out of and being on the other end.

rickk

When it "misfires", does the cap go off but not the main charge, or does the cap not go off?

Capt. Montgomery Little

Major 2,  Muzzle loaders are not "non-guns" by ATFE regulations. They are "non-controlled" firearms. This is even better since as a "non-gun" they can still be considered an "explosive device" due to the use of BP. I learned this years ago when I was still "manufacturing" "non-controlled" firearms. Sure wish the ATFE agent who explained this to me was still around. He seemed to be the only one who had any sense and really knew the regulations.

Drayton Calhoun

Quote from: rickk on October 14, 2010, 08:24:37 PM
When it "misfires", does the cap go off but not the main charge, or does the cap not go off?
Cap does not fire. Usually on second try, it fires with authority. I have replaced the mainspring, which is the same as in the old Frontier rifle. Same thing. Only thing I can figure is a slight bit of binding in the action, which to date I have not been able to find

Major 2

I suspect a slightly to deep Nipple thread seat. These were Spanish made I believe, it's not uncommon for the seat to be drilled to deep side to side or gun to gun.
I'd try a shim washer under the offending nipple...if you get it to fire with reliability with that, perhaps a longer nipple cone will help.
It could also be the tumbler is off just a tad not allowing the hammer to fall full arc.
These were not made with great precision and final fit was up to the Kit builder, all to often he just assembled the parts as they
popped from the box
when planets align...do the deal !

Noz

I had the same problem with an 1835(what it says on the lock plate) military musket that was converted to Percussion.  The face of the hammer is not striking the nipple squarely. I had to have the hammer bent a little until the face of the hammer was flush to the nose of the nipple. Things worked well then.

Lucky R. K.

One of two things usually cause the problem you describe.  The first is that the hammer spring is not strong enough.  Repeated strikes would eventually break the cap.

The second is that the cap is not seated completely on the nipple.  This could be because the cap is too small for the nipple or the nipple has a braded end.  Repeated strikes drives the cap down and it breaks.

You should have a feel for the hammer spring based on the other barrel.  Check closely for nipple fit or a braded nipple.

Good luck.

Lucky  ;D
Greene County Regulators       Life NRA             SCORRS
High Country Cowboys            SASS #79366
Gunpowder Creek Regulators   Dirty RATS #568

The Wind is Your Friend

Drayton Calhoun

Quote from: Capt. Montgomery Little on October 14, 2010, 10:42:30 PM
Major 2,  Muzzle loaders are not "non-guns" by ATFE regulations. They are "non-controlled" firearms. This is even better since as a "non-gun" they can still be considered an "explosive device" due to the use of BP. I learned this years ago when I was still "manufacturing" "non-controlled" firearms. Sure wish the ATFE agent who explained this to me was still around. He seemed to be the only one who had any sense and really knew the regulations.
Thanks Major and Capt. I remember years ago Sile sold a Confederate Scout Shotgun with 14 inch barrels and of course now Dixie sells the Howdah in 20x 20. Dixie, however seems to have been stopped from selling an 8 bore elephant gun ML. They had advertised it, then it never appeared.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com