Finally found a bullet my Lightning didnt like.... PRS 250..

Started by Dalton Masterson, October 10, 2010, 10:47:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dalton Masterson

I shoot a Pedersoli Lightning as my main match rifle. I have shot it since they first came out with them, and more than likely, am shooting it with black powder. I have always had a little blowback with it, especially with smokeless, and have been trying to alleviate that problem a little bit by going to a softer lead, and by using a 250 gr. bullet as opposed to a 200 gr bullet.
I have been using DDs 200 gr Big Lube with great success and tried the PRS 250.
Come to find out, the PRS 250 doesnt work that well in my Lightning. I am not quite sure what is happening in there as it does it, but I basically have to cock the rifle 20 times for 10 shots.
My o.a.l. is the same, so that rules that out. I suspect its just the larger flat point hanging up in there somehow. I suppose some good winter test time is in order.

NOW, in my 73, the PRS 250 rocks!
Any suggestions? I am sure most of you would say get rid of the Lightning, but that isnt gonna happen..
DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

Springfield Slim

The PRS is a bit fatter, but if you are crimping in the crimp grooves it should also be longer OAL than the J/P 200. If you want a pointier bullet I would suggest the Lyman 454190. It still weighs 250 and has a longer bearing surface, just doesn't hold as much lube.
Full time Mr. Mom and part time leatherworker and bullet caster

Steel Horse Bailey

If crimping in the crimp groove of the PRS 250 makes it longer than the 200, try crimping on the body with a good roll crimp wherever it would give the same OAL as the 200.  I'm not sure, but that might work.  with lead bullets it should make its' own groove.

I'm not a loading expert, but I have done this before.  However, it wasn't to make a slide-gun work, only to get a shorter OAL, but with a longer bullet.
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

hellgate

I don't own a Lightening but think they are cool. As for the blowby, I'm assuming you mean fouling getting back into the action. A couple of things that can help: heavier bullet, bigger powder charge, good crimp and thinner brass. The first  3 suggestions build up more pressure to swell the case to better seal the chamber and the last lets the case swell to seal the chamber. You could also heat treat the brass by heating the mouths in a shallow pan with 1/2-3/4 inch of water using a torch and that can soften the mouths and upper half of the case for a better seal.
"Frontiersman: the only category where you can shoot your wad and play with your balls while tweeking the nipples on a pair of 44s." Canada Bill

Since I have 14+ guns, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap&Ball. Now, that's a COMPLIMENT!

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
Wolverton Mt. Peacekeepers
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

Dick Dastardly

Howdy Dalton,

You've just proved one pill doesn't cure all ills.  If your gun likes the J/P 45-200 Big Lube®LLC bullet, load it and shoot it and enjoy it.  You may fine other guns that prefer the PRS Big Lube®LLC profile.  Many lever guns do.

The good thing is that there is a Big Lube®LLC pill that does work well, haul a LOT of lube and work with Holy Black in a way that would have made our forefathers extremely jealous.

Glad to have you on the Big Lube®LLC band wagon.

DD-DLoS
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

Dalton Masterson

Yep. I think the big meplat (I think thats the right term) is just hanging up in there.

I have it set to the same o.a.l. as my 200s, as I mentioned earlier. So that should NOT be the problem. I think its just a design that doesnt work in my rifle... (sadly) :'(

Hellgate, yes I was referring to the blowback I get in my face when shooting. Its really noticeable with smokeless, but not as much with black. The spots of lube on my glasses clue me in more than anything when shooting the black.

Pettifogger, Good info there. Basically, I think I have too much flat on my fnrp. I will still keep fiddling with it.

They are a darn good design, and I am glad that the 200 works in it. Thanks, DD.
DM (who has always been on the BL Bandwagon...)
SASS #51139L
RATS #65
SCORRS
www.runniron.com

Sir Charles deMouton-Black

Do you have a bullet stability problem?  Barrel twist is a function of bullet length.  The bullet might be too long for the factory twist.

Here is an online calculator;

http://kwk.us/twist.html
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, "History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme."

Dalton Masterson

Its plenty accurate, so I wouldnt think I have a stability problem... Never put it on paper though, to see if its heyholing or anything though.. Would that affect the blowback issue?
DM
SASS #51139L
RATS #65
SCORRS
www.runniron.com

Sir Charles deMouton-Black

Perhaps I misread what your problem was.  If it is accurate, when it fires, stability is not likely the issue.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, "History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme."

Adirondack Jack

If this is the first 250 ya put through the gun, it could be the gun just don't like the more nose heavy round?  Could be the rounds are slipping in the cartridge guides???
Warthog, Dirty Rat, SBSS OGBx3, maker of curious little cartridges

Dalton Masterson

Yes, the first time I fed it 250s, I shot it slow, and didnt have much issue. Come Nebr. State match time, it had hiccups like crazy. So I parked it, and tried it again this weekend with 200s, then tried a mag full of 250s. The 200s work great, while the 250s hang up.
Basically, the round was not getting chambered until the second pull of the slide. I am not sure if the round was getting all the way out of the tube, and getting shoved back in, or just wasnt going into the chamber.
DM
SASS #51139L
RATS #65
SCORRS
www.runniron.com

hellgate

My two rossi '92s are particular about OAL so before I even fiddle with powder charges I make up 5 dummy rounds with the new bullet and run them through the action at a rapid clip starting with the longest OAL i think is sane. Then I seat the bullets a few hundredths deeper and run them through again. Also I am writing down my experience for each OAL in a paper so I can refer to it. Memory fades fast. Run them through til you have what you consider too short of an OAL. You will either find a "sweet spot" or you need to get a different bullet. If a bullet won't feed reliably I cannot use it. I dearly wanted to use the Snakebite bullet but it would hiccup in my Rossis so I didn't get the mold. You might find the heavier bullet needs a different OAL.
"Frontiersman: the only category where you can shoot your wad and play with your balls while tweeking the nipples on a pair of 44s." Canada Bill

Since I have 14+ guns, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap&Ball. Now, that's a COMPLIMENT!

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

Dalton Masterson

I will try that Hellgate. Maybe with that particular bullet I need to be seated a little deeper than what I am.
Thanks gents..
DM
SASS #51139L
RATS #65
SCORRS
www.runniron.com

hellgate

Dalton,
Get the OAL determined THEN screw around with the powder charge. It doesn't matter what the accuracy is unless it feeds well.

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

Driftwood Johnson

Howdy

Not quite sure how you are getting the same OAL with the 200 grainer and the 250 grainer. Are you crimping them both in the crimp groove? When I first designed the J/P 45-200 there was around .210 of bullet in front of the crimp groove. Around .280 with the PRS bullet. Workin' by eyeball here, I don't have the original drawings handy. I know DD changed the 200 grainer design a little bit, but I don't think by much.
That's bad business! How long do you think I'd stay in operation if it cost me money every time I pulled a job? If he'd pay me that much to stop robbing him, I'd stop robbing him.

Ya probably inherited every penny ya got!

Adirondack Jack

Driftwood, I have a mold for your original JP200.  It has a short nose and a longish shank, (which i like because deeper seating means less case capacity).  DD's version has essentially the same nose as the PRS, and a shorter shank.

w44wcf

DM,
It sounds to me that it's not the large meplat (nose) diameter that is the issue. It's the ogive. THe ogive is contacting the lands before the cartridge is completely chambered thus softening the firing pin blow. Seating the bullet deeper would solve that problem.

w44wcf 
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka John Kort
aka w30wcf (smokeless)
NRA Life Member
.22 W.C.F., .30 W.C.F., .44 W.C.F., .45 Colt Cartridge Historian

hellgate

Another thought I had on the feed ingissue is if you are using the same OAL with a bigger/longer bullet you could be getting a slight case bulge. I run all my rifle ammo through a factory crimp die that will resize the entire case if the case bulges. That way I still get a guaranteed feed.

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

Adirondack Jack

Some of these issues can be potentially eliminated by simply chambering a round by hand.  If a round seats fully when chambered by hand, just dropped into the chamber of a nose-down gun), then the OAL, ogive, and brass diameter are not issues in the chamber.

If ya get that far, mark up a sample round, covering it well with red marker, and cycle it in the normal manner.  Then do the same with a round that works WELL in the rifle, and compare the scuff marks in the marker ink on the rounds as clues to how the "round handling hardware" is working with em differently.  I still think maybe the cartridge guides might not be happy with the 250.....

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com